• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Air Filter for NSX

welcome..Like your enthusiasm..you should follow Honcho on prime as he is doing an amazing ground up restoration...On the subject at hand..comptech supplied the UNI with all their power mods....I used it for many years and started to get idle issues that we traced back to clogged gunked up idle air passages and TB....there is no "correct" way to oil those foam elements.The voodo speak about the oil being magic was BS...as you know.On the subject of the sucking sound with the fender scoop....when we as air breathing creatures start making sucking sounds also called wheezing and or stridor there is actually an acceleration in air speed but not the good kind because of Bernoulli...so the sound you are hearing is likely corelated with a net loss of air flow to the engine...

I used a K&N filter for years in the S2000. Probably only added up to 20-25K km or so. Went back to OEM as it seemed that I always ended up over oiling the K&N. The car only sees about 2K km a year so I don't need a replacement very often.

I had the K&N it fowled up my throttle body the thing was junk. Switched to the UNI and found similar results to the K&N just not as bad. Now I just grab OEM ones and change them more often. No noticeable difference with clean OEM vs Clean aftermarket. The option to clean a reuse is nice but not at the cost of extra labor cleaning the throttle body and intake ports when the oiled filters trash them. I won’t ever go back to an oiled filter on any of my cars.

[MENTION=13630]DRIFTER[/MENTION] is right- the best air filter for the NSX is the OEM paper element. Period. No matter how careful you are, all of the oiled filters will, over time, deposit that oil into your throttle body and intake manifold, where it will gum up the small vacuum ports that are critical to the proper operation of your engine. Any claimed power gains are within the error margin for a dyno. The OEM air box is good up to about 350 hp with minimal restriction. This has been extensively tested in Japan.

docjoh, thank you for checking out the video. Also, great info on the sound effect. That makes sense and it might be safe to say there is a slight power decrease with the sound effect but the sound effect in its own is so darn good that I think it it is worth it. hahaha

The King, oiling can be a pain in the butt. The Uni-Filter is a hot mess to be honest. I have cleaned up a lot of oil in the bottom of the airbox and I went light on the application.

Honcho, I agree with your assessment. I love testing stuff and had fun comparing them and giving my feedback. I also like stock air filter but the ricer in me keeps the Uni-Filter due to the Downforce Scoop combination till I get fed up with it's oil mess and go OEM. I think that will be soon when I go with the SOS headers and at that point I rather hear the exhaust over my current combination of the Downforce Air scoop and exhaust note which is nice.

I have the DF scoop as well it still makes more intake noise even with the OEM paper filter. It’s more acoustics then anything I remember seeing decent dyno results from the DF scoop back when they first came out. It’s definitely less restrictive then the OEM piece but it’s nothing crazy.

I ran a K&N for a short time, one day Larry B held it up to the light [to look through it] and simply said "... don't use this....".

Back