• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best bolt on performance?

Kenny, do you consider a supercharger a bolt-on upgrade? If so, then a supercharger.

If you are thinking more along the lines of breathing mods, then headers.

You would have thought I posted a trick question or something. Please allow me to reiterate (TURBOS DON'T COUNT). Thanks again fellas.

Might as well have been a trick question. You didn't mention what your goals, budget, mechanical abilities or anything else but you want us to randomly those out parts, vendors and websites?

Give us more details or we are all just wasting our time here...

Fellas, the original question is real simple to answer and if it isn't then you are trying to add more to it than what is being asked. Here's the original question:

If you could only bolt on one thing to improve the ENGINE performance of a stock NSX what would it be? (Turbos don't count)

I didn't put any additional qualifiers on it such as price, my mechanical abilities or which engine on purpose to keep the answers simple. Sorry if you wasted your time with me.

I also mentioned (Turbos don't count) but let me try to express that in a way that is understandable since several of you guys missed that completely. I am not interested in a turbo charger, super charger or any kind of forced induction. Once again, sorry if you wasted your time with me.

For those of you who prioritized and correlated one upgrade with another or several, I appreciate your reply and experience and those replies are exactly what I was looking for in an answer.

Looks like I will probably go with an intake and an exhaust. Is there any way I can keep my cats and run performance enhancing headers?

No kidding, i would have thought you had enough experience with these cars to know what to doto make more bolt on gains.
But oh well, my .2 is from simplest to difficult- Cold air intake or downforce scoop then step up to test pipes, exhaust, headers, & supercharger.

My original thoughts exactly.. but that doesnt answer which bolt-on mod is the best :rolleyes:

It's all relative IMO. IHE should yield you something like 265-280 whp for a healthy NSX. The higher mark is met with some ECU tuning. Intake and test pipes are the cheapest mods with the most minimal gains at probably 5 whp at most. They are more for sound or perhaps have more of an impact on torque characteristics.

Different brands claim more power, but is really that much different? Not really, not when you are staying NA.

After looking at several dyno charts from the past and present - a good exhaust that is simple can give 10 whp (claims for anymore than this single mod are doubtful), and decent headers can yield ~15-20 whp for the NA1 and possibly 10 whp for the NA2.

Some of you guys are so full of yourselves that you can't stand not broadcasting it.:rolleyes:

NSpec, you are very perceptive to see that I have owned three NSXs (you can obviously read with the best of them) but it appears that your deductive reasoning comes up a little short. Let me help you out a little bit: If I am asking the question, I obviously want some additional input on top of what I may or may not know. I am not so full of myself that I can't allow myslef be seen as someone who doesn't already know everything. I have not turned a whole lot of wrenches or played with a whole lot of parts regarding the NSX especially where my first two are concerned. I owned them from 1994 to 1998 and they were both stock. I was young (25-29) and I was in the Army and didn't have a lot of tools. I don't even know if NSX Prime was around back then and the internet wasn't something I had back in those days. I have been out of the NSX scene until about 18 moths ago and have since learned a lot more about how to work on my own stuff and inherited a lot of tools and automotive equipment, well, enough to do some of my own work but probably way under what you would consider adequate. I make a decent living but I don't have the money or the desire to do a whole lot of mods to my engine. I am not asking questions here because I already know the answers so please don't reply as though I am an idiot for not knowing. Thanks.

Some of you guys are so full of yourselves that you can't stand not broadcasting it.:rolleyes:

NSpec, you are very perceptive to see that I have owned three NSXs (you can obviously read with the best of them) but it appears that your deductive reasoning comes up a little short. Let me help you out a little bit: If I am asking the question, I obviously want some additional input on top of what I may or may not know. I am not so full of myself that I can't allow myslef be seen as someone who doesn't already know everything. I have not turned a whole lot of wrenches or played with a whole lot of parts regarding the NSX especially where my first two are concerned. I owned them from 1994 to 1998 and they were both stock. I was young (25-29) and I was in the Army and didn't have a lot of tools. I don't even know if NSX Prime was around back then and the internet wasn't something I had back in those days. I have been out of the NSX scene until about 18 moths ago and have since learned a lot more about how to work on my own stuff and inherited a lot of tools and automotive equipment, well, enough to do some of my own work but probably way under what you would consider adequate. I make a decent living but I don't have the money or the desire to do a whole lot of mods to my engine. I am not asking questions here because I already know the answers so please don't reply as though I am an idiot for not knowing. Thanks.

Lol, wasn't trying to insult you. I didn't call you an idiot, so relax. A simple search or even peak at the NSX wiki would have yielded an answer for you. I was just curious as how you didn't know, it seemed strange, but not impossible. So don't get your panties in a bunch, because the forum's reaction to these questions are somewhat justified. I should feel insulted for your long response, but I'm not, cause it's just a message board :tongue:

I summed it up best for you in a generalized statement above. It's not so much a brand dominance as everyone seems to deliver competitive numbers and the mild differences in percentage of gains are usually not enough to justify the cost/time when you are NA. It's more about practicality and cost. Headers are cost effective but will require a bit of intensive labor installing. If you not ready to diy, then prepare to front some cash for the labor. Test pipes and intakes are cheap and easy but the yields are not great.

So a bolt-on exhaust system for your situation would be the best bang for the buck. Just search for different videos of NSX exhaust to help you decide which one you like best. You will find that the price range is wide, but a good one can be had for under $1000 if you don't mind a mildly used one and they are always in the parts for sale section. If you are all about brand spanking new, $1200-$1500 is going to be the average for one.

Then, jack the rear up, spray down some bolts and turn them and put the new exhaust on. That is the easiest mod for pretty much any car. Then go with headers later if you feeling more than ready to diy, otherwise headers may end up costing more than the exhaust if you can't find a good shop to do it for you.

NSpec, OK, I see where you were coming from. I guess I'm a little jaded. A lot of times it seems a a question gets asked and nothing but smart ass remarks come from people. Sorry if I automatically placed you in that category but your posting came after several that were pretty annoying. Thanks for your advice. I have removed/installed a few NSX mufflers for friends in the last year. Had no problem getting them off and back on so I'm good to go there. Headers is another story. I have not been that far and based on your advice I'm not sure I want to mess with them unless I know more about what is involved and can go wrong. So, I think an exhaust and a more open intake is what's in order. Thanks for your advice. Thank all of you who are actually answering my question.

I would say stock na2 header(300), prospeed Rdx injectors and chipped ecu(800)and good Used gt light weight exhaust(800). I think those Bolton should give u around 25 to 30 whp.

geometro, I already have a nut behind the steering wheel and he is still inquisitive about how to get more performance from the engine. :tongue:

nsxtasy, I guess you think I don't know the difference between a turbo and a super charger because I initially didn't mention the supercharger so I can see where you would have thought that. I did later explain that I am not interested in any form of FI which is what I should have said in the first place. My bad. By the way a turbo charger is a device that uses the escaping exhaust gases to turn the turbine where the supercharger is actually a mechanically driven turbine... but I'm no expert on internal combustion engines. Give me a shout if you need to know anything about single stage (N1) or multi stage (N2) jet turbines cause I can really splain them well. :biggrin:

Based on the advice thus far given and my current mechanical/fabricational abilities I think the easiest bolt on mods for me would be an intake and an exhaust. I will look into the headers and see if I want to get involved with those. Thanks again for the input fellas.

Last edited:
Intake and exhaust is a good place to start Kenny. They are also simple enough to install that you can spend a few hours on a nice day and get them done yourself with basic hand tools.

Headers would be great and will add the most gains, but you may want to consider looking for a shop that can install them. An "expert" or well experienced mechanic takes about 4 hours to install a set of headers. And you do not need to go and buy an expensive set. Look around and find a set of NA2 headers and go with those. You will get gains while staying OEM. Good luck.

RedNA1, wow, OK, good info there. What is the big deal with headers? Do they not line up easily? I would think they are just a bolt on in place of what is already there. I have seen pictures of them but not installed. Most discussions are at the intermediate to expert understanding level and completely leave the beginner out in the cold. I never have good luck with searches. If I type in kitchen sink I get everything but. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
I did headers and exhaust on my '92 and wanted to keep it as close to factory as possible. I was surprised by the costs but I have been very happy with the results. There will be several people who chime in and comment that you don't need to bead weld the OEM headers or that Ceramic Coating isn't necessary (because here on Prime everyone is an expert). I rarely post anymore because there is so much negativity here these days. Cost wasn't a consideration for me. I posted the cost of each item separately so that you can use it as a reference, simply add or remove items/services to get a better idea of your cost for the upgrade. I was very pleased with the results and I haven't had any problems since the original installation. When you see the boat anchor exhaust manifold its easy to understand why headers are a great modification.

If you are getting OEM headers consider the following:

1. Spend $ on aftermarket headers
Labor is the same or more if you use factory headers.
2. The factory OEM headers are tack welded and "can" crack at the seam, I brought my headers to turbochargers.com in Houston and they put a bead weld all the way around.
3. If you do decide to use Factory Headers, Jetcoat them (ceramic coating)
Jethotcoatings.com (My headers have still look great after 2 years).
4. Install them yourself
Just saw a great write-up posted in the DIY forum

Here were the costs involved (it was GROSSLY more expensive than I had anticipated when all was said and done).

NSX Prime Used Heades 19K Miles $350

SoS EAP-665 1997-99 Header Conversion Kit ($274), O2 Sensor Extension Harness Kit ($79) + Shipping ($8) Total $361.

Delray Acura Zanardi Rear Sway Bar (required if you plan on using catalytic converters from 1997) ($82.39) + Shipping ($8.95) Total $91.34

Turbochargers.com Labor to weld headers Total $150.

Jet-Hot Ceramic Coating ($235.00) + Shipping ($34) Total $269.

Gaskets
(2) 18115-PR7-A02 Gasket, EX, MAN ($53.84), (2) 18212-SA0-003 Gasket, EX PIP ($19.04) (2) GSKT 52.5MM-53 ($28.86) Total $101.74

David McDavid Acura Labor $735.00

Headers + Installation $2,058.08

After installing the headers I decided that I also wanted a CompTech Exhuast.

I purchased the Comptech Exhaust for $944.09 shipped, and dealer installation was $225.00.

Exhaust + Installation $1,169.09

Grand Total $3,227.17

RedNA1, wow, OK, good info there. What is the big deal with headers? Do they not line up easily? I would think they are just a bolt on in place of what is already there. I have seen pictures of them but not installed. Most discussions are at the intermediate to expert understanding level and completely leave the beginner out in the cold. I never have good luck with searches. If I type in kitchen sink I get everything but. Thanks for the input.

Read this to get an idea... the installation requires you to remove the lower subframe and tons of other parts to access the front header.

Skip down a little to "Installing Comptech Headers". Required that guy 10 hrs... it took my mechanic 2 days (since he had never done it, wanted to figure it out himself and refused to read the DIY instructions). :rolleyes:

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Installing_Headers

Forgot to mention...

If you are considering an Intake keep in mind that you will be sucking in Hot Air from the engine, and you want "Cold Air", and we live in Austin, TX :). Most people do an Intake for the unique sound, not for performance gains.

My car had the K&N Cone Mod Kit for NSX, it was one of the first things I removed when I purchased the car. Remember to keep your factory airbox if you decide to use an Intake in 2009 it was difficult for me to find a factory airbox.

I wonder if putting a brand new Honda filter in your Factory Airbox would give the same result as replacing it with an aftermarket intake :).

See this old post http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23417

Kenny you posted an extremely vague question despite thinking you were concise. There are TONS of articles already on prime regarding all of these but you didn't look for it. When members then point out the vagueness in your question you tell people they are "full of themselves".

No one insulted you but your question was so vague that it was similar to a kid trolling nsxprime. We have a lot of those and people here don't want to waste their time. Now no one took you as one, I didn't, and if you remember a while back I gave you lots of detailed answers about the stereo a while back when you asked a question everyone could understand. No need to insult anyone here.

Now to help you out: I disagree completely on spending ANY money on an intake, it simply will NOT improve performance much. Change the filter, to a K&N or a Uni and get a downforce scoop. It is worth the sound alone. The airbox on an NA engine is fine. Exhaust and headers will also help and save you a lot of weight that is in a great place to save weight. The tail end of the car. The "cold air" thing is not based on science, but marketing. Ambient temps in the engine bay of a moving car (especially a mid engine one where the radiator is in the front) are mildly higher than ambient. The issue is one of restriction, and the OEM airbox on the NSX is not very restricted until you are making 100+ more HP. Save the money and put it into headers and an exhaust. You will however get a lot better sound changing the intake.

Last edited:
Back