• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Car for $20k?

Oh and 82mph for a stock WS6 is pretty fast too.I had a 92 NSX that went 8.90@80mph and [email protected] have a great car there.From what I understand with about 5k in mods,they'll run 10's.(Heads/Cam package)

Joe

Originally posted by bartonkt:
Ok, a friend of mine is getting a 'new' car, and has $20,000 at his disposal....what car would you get?

Its unclear what the specific objectives are... most of the ideas here are around 'price/performance' and 'fun factor'. Whether you get it with cubic inches (C4), boost (SupTT, RX7) high revs (ITR) or "tradition" (Miata). All fun cars, none of them really bad choices.

$20K could also get you an older M3 with the basic formula (front engine, rear-drive, reasonable power, good handling, passenger and trunk space)... also has some brand cachet (not necessarily synonymous with POS 'character'
smile.gif
)

I'd also suggest a 3000GT VR4. I currently drive a 92 model, 35,000 miles on it. I'd be interested in selling it if he's serious. If not, I'm just going to pay mine off (owe about $6k) and then try to find a good deal on an NSX to add to my stable.

Hmmmm...another Akira...I don't think I can handle that
tongue.gif

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 14 October 2001).]

I'm not sure how your bud feels about muscle cars but a Z28 or even a SS would be a nice car for 20,000. I own a '00 SS and I love it. Lots of power and a great platform to make a monster of a car. It's not a canyon carver like a NSX but it can hold its own in the turns and it's a fun car.
smile.gif

I'd look to getting a 4.6 mustang cobra and put a vortec Supercharger with 3.73s on it and live in the 12s all day long. The high revving characteristics of the overhead cam is where the new modular motor takes advantage of. A 96+ Cobra is the way to go. If you want to stay import, my first choice would definitely be a 3 Gen RX-7 and then a Subaru WRX all wheel drive turbocharged!! I tell you, that Subaru is bad

Kenji Ligon
81 RX-7 12A Parallel Ported, Weber Carb
88 Mustang GT 302 Turbocharged (720 hp) with T-56 etc.. daily driver
95 Mustang GT 5.0 heads, cam, intake, Exahust
91 Red CTSC NSX

You could easily afford a 94 integra GSR. Get a Jackson Racing supercharger and still have money to play with. I have had a 94 and 98 integra GSR supercharged running 10psi of boost. It is great fun to watch the face of a mustang owner drop as a 4 cylinder passes him. Still have my supercharger if interested. A type R feels as slow as a civic after driving a supercharged GSR. Type R is to little car for to much money don't waste your time spend your money more wisely on other things. Good Luck

Back