• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Coilovers for under a grand?

the jdm tuners have done this,and those in the know feel that they like a more prone to oversteer setup.but if you look at the oem spring rate tables on sos/wiki ect you will see that the stiffer springs are in front just like my type R.

Interesting, I just looked that up and I see that is the case, but only for the track focused models. Type S and Type R. I guess for the street they still feel stiffer in the back is preferable.

Doc what does 1000/600 in pounds turn into in KG/mm? I'm too lazy to do the math.

That's what I wound up with based on your, Jim's, and Billy's advice. Being you all seemed to like that ratio even my neurotic ass feels good with it. The ones that came on the KW's were 17/12 I think. Stiffer than Tiger Woods at the playboy mansion. Netviper, I wouldn't go stiffer in the rear. That 10/6 ratio seems ideal for a lot of guys that race. If you want softer go softer but keep that ratio.

Last edited:
Dave, so to recap...

You want to raise your ride height and want to improve the ride. Why are you looking at coilovers again? This thread is too long for me to remember what we were talking about :smile:. If you don't need the height adjustability just go with Bilsteins and a set of NSX-R sway bars or stiffer Dali bars. I was very happy with this setup for a long time until I progressively starting wanting more and more stiffness (that's what she said).

Doc what does 1000/600 in pounds turn into in KG/mm? I'm too lazy to do the math.

That's what I wound up with based on your, Jim's, and Billy's advice. Being you all seemed to like that ratio even my neurotic ass feels good with it. The ones that came on the KW's were 17/12 I think. Stiffer than Tiger Woods at the playboy mansion. Netviper, I wouldn't go stiffer in the rear. That 10/6 ratio seems ideal for a lot of guys that race. If you want softer go softer but keep that ratio.

1000/600 is roughly 18kg/11kg

That is the same as the comptech pro suspension.

Great stuff from Dali.

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/info/article_read.cfm?articleID=865

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/suspension/more_springs_matrix.cfm

Dave, so to recap...

You want to raise your ride height and want to improve the ride. Why are you looking at coilovers again? This thread is too long for me to remember what we were talking about :smile:. If you don't need the height adjustability just go with Bilsteins and a set of NSX-R sway bars or stiffer Dali bars. I was very happy with this setup for a long time until I progressively starting wanting more and more stiffness (that's what she said).

No, I NEED to raise the front because it is scraping on everything and causing damage. I want it to be adjustable.

I think I am just going with the BC at 10/10 and call it a day.

So everyone tells you to go softer in the rear and you want to go 10/10?:confused::confused::confused:

Maybe you should talk to Wei-Shen. He's got 1000's of track miles under his belt and knows spring rates like I know the mole on my granny's temple. :biggrin:

No, I NEED to raise the front because it is scraping on everything and causing damage. I want it to be adjustable.

So everyone tells you to go softer in the rear and you want to go 10/10?:confused::confused::confused:

Maybe you should talk to Wei-Shen. He's got 1000's of track miles under his belt and knows spring rates like I know the mole on my granny's temple. :biggrin:

By everybody, you mean 2 people. I respect John's opinion, but he is a track machine, and I am not.

Ah, sorry. Adjustability, got it! I like the BC in the price range but I have never had the opportunity to try them so my opinion is pretty worthless. I thought they revalved their shock all the way down to an 8k spring?

Over the years i've noticed a general preference in spring rate bias between front/rear. I don't think anyone one way is right especially since a guy like Billy can out drive a chump like me with one tire flat on pretty much any setup.

The JDM brands tend to like a stiffer rear bias (better roads there? different driving style?). While I notice in the US and Europe you'll find more an equal balance or the opposite. On a chassis as good as the NSX you're allowed to play with setup much more.

FWIW: My suspension originally came with 10k front and 14k rears before the spring swap. Now i'm running 9k/11k with high quality springs and the street ride is quite nice but the go-fast performance is even better. I'm happy which is what matters!

Sorry if i'm beating a dead horse here but do you want it adjustable because

1. You want to adjust the ride height due to different road conditions based on different setups you want to try? Such as adjust rake, corner balance the car, different tire clearances, alignment?

OR

2. Do you want it adjustable because you want to find that perfect ride height but essentially after that you're going to set-it-and-forget-it.

If it's #2, We can help you come up with the perfect Bilstein/Spring combo. It's more work initially, ask me how I know, but it ends up cheaper and I feel you'll ultimately get the best street ride for less than $1000.

very simple....the softer rear rates allow more rear tire grip which makes the car safer to drive because an understeering car is easier to handle again for the average Joe,but all this talk is just talk...and the degree of grip is more likely going to be influenced by tire/temps/road conditions and driver inputs.Personaly I would not choose 10/10 maybe 10/8.

very simple....the softer rear rates allow more rear tire grip which makes the car safer to drive because an understeering car is easier to handle again for the average Joe,but all this talk is just talk...and the degree of grip is more likely going to be influenced by tire/temps/road conditions and driver inputs.Personaly I would not choose 10/10 maybe 10/8.
John, What setup makes the rear kickout more predictable?

Not necessarily an understeering car but a general setup in which the rear kickout is more gradual.

At the last track event, my car was understeering on the high and low speed turns - hated it, but the rear had grip grip grip then all the sudden snap oversteer which required a quick correction. I've made a few setup changes since then but haven't seen track time since.

Captain - Isn't a Cayman much more predictable in this way? Is there something in that setup we can mimic?

Sorry.. this is a massive OT! Should start a new thread I suppose

Last edited:
indeed we are about to derail Daves rather long and winding thread..Ryu start a new thread in the track section and please in detail describe your susp setup with tire type and pressues and what sways.

indeed we are about to derail Daves rather long and winding thread..Ryu start a new thread in the track section and please in detail describe your susp setup with tire type and pressues and what sways.
He's going to buy KWs anyway :wink:

Yes, been meaning to post a question for a while but I don't have a proper set of alignment measurements since my ride height has changed more times than I can remember. I guess i'll wait a bit before posting until after I take care of low hanging fruit.

Feel to keep adding to the thread. I think a lot of people have learned a lot in this thread.

Dave are you getting a commission from Lud for every extra page this thread gets to:tongue:

Dave are you getting a commission from Lud for every extra page this thread gets to:tongue:

No, but we 10,000+ post guys should get a little something for all the page views we have caused. :biggrin:

Where are you guys seeing the BCs for 1K? I've looked around, but for the NSX they start around $1,300.

Make sure you are looking for BC Racing, not Buddy Club. You can find them on ebay. I called THMotorsports and spoke with Nick and he can do them for $950 shipped.

Back