• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Coilovers for under a grand?

While ideal droop is debatable, droop is a different topic from preload.

A lack of droop travel results in an infinite rate under rebound (like bottoming out a shock or coil-binding a spring will result in an infinite spring rate under compression). Hitting this droop limit results in a very harsh ride for the street and upsets the chassis for performance driving as well - causing the car to lose traction/skip/not load the tires consistently especially over bumps.

Almost every car ever made has preload. This is because the use of a very long spring is needed with a low spring rate to achieve the desired ride height. But pretty much every production car has this calculated ride height to have a proper amount of droop (in most cases, A LOT) and compression travel.

Yes, agreed that preload and droop are two different things. Can we agree that a spring can be set to 0 preload meaning the spring doesn't bounce around between the top and bottom perch but it can still have some droop depending on how soft the spring rate and how heavy the car is?

If so, then I think everyone is talking the same thing here.

Yes, agreed that preload and droop are two different things. Can we agree that a spring can be set to 0 preload meaning the spring doesn't bounce around between the top and bottom perch but it can still have some droop depending on how soft the spring rate and how heavy the car is?

If so, then I think everyone is talking the same thing here.
Once the weight of the car sits on the springs, they (obviously) won't bounce or rattle around. Yes, at this adjustment of 0 preload, their WILL be droop travel dictated by the spring rate -as you said.

For many Tein coilovers, I often go a step further and sometimes recommend 0.5" gap between the spring and the top perch to allow for more droop travel -depending on the application. I don't agree with cranking in preload to reduce static droop travel even further -which seems to be common by many people. (this means, if you have 500lbs on a corner of the car and you have a 500lb spring on a strut (~1:1 ratio) and you compress the spring an inch, then you will have zero static preload once the car sits on teh ground and it will ride like a skateboard).

Correction on my part. I meant to say I like to have my setup at zero spring preload. Not zero droop - that would be insane...for any street driven car. I believe only some F1 cars run zero droop and only in the front...?

I did try them both ways as Billy recommended on a different thread with about 1/2" of addition spring preload. Perhaps with my setup it performs better at zero preload and the KW V3s perform better with some additional spring wiggle room. I did observe the skipping/skidding sensation when braking like Batmans recommended but after dropping the PSI of my tires to 30lbs and swapping to better tires that virtually disappeared.

Last edited:
Greetings netviper and tbnsxt,
I just replaced my 18 yo originals with some utter shit Asian Megan Coilovers for around $900. So far they have not exploded or shattered yet. I'll let you know though. For street use, I think you guys should buy what you could afford now and upgrade at a later date. Check out some pics of Megans on another thread I posted last week.
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143774

Greetings netviper and tbnsxt,
I just replaced my 18 yo originals with some utter shit Asian Megan Coilovers for around $900. So far they have not exploded or shattered yet. I'll let you know though. For street use, I think you guys should buy what you could afford now and upgrade at a later date. Check out some pics of Megans on another thread I posted last week.
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143774

Thanks for the info. I really do think Megan or BC is going to be just fine for the street. When I learn to drive like Billy I can get Coilovers like Billy.:biggrin:

No, it is a combination of spring rate AND dampening.

KWV3's DO NOT HAVE A HIGH SPRING RATE!!!! That's why people going from their Teins to KW's love them. :rolleyes: And there's nothing wrong with that - just know what is giving them a "nice ride."

Here's spring rates of previously-mentioned setups for comparison (courtesy
of Dali):

Front (lb/in) Rear (lb/in)
1997+ NSX 196 224
2003 TypeR 570 465
Comptech Pro 1000 600
Tein Monoflex 674 787
KW V3 350 350
Megan 560 448

As you can see, the KW's have spring rates just a tad more than your OEM ones, yet are still way less than Teins' or Megans. As far as I know, KW's have no magical valving patents like JRZ or Moton, Bilstein, Koni, etc. They just have a standard shim stack. I would like to see a shock dyno of our V3's to see what shim stack design they use. I'm guessing a digressive/linear setup. Now, the bleed holes on your shim stacks is what determines the damper force reaction vs. velocity curves. Shim stacks can be made to have linear characteristics, digresive, or velocity-dependent. Depends on the track/driver.

It's tricky reading through all the perpetuating crap uneducated people post on the internet as "fact." Bottom line is do research (like you are NetViper) and look for objective facts instead of subjective "facts."

Also, I've never heard anyone saying the 2003 TypeR suspension was a decent ride on the street.

Here's a review on my KSports:
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119883

Three years, no leaks, still react the same to my average-quality roads. Now, if you have low-profile tires and desire a stock-like ride, these are not for you. These are the 560/448 lb/in spring rates so they are stiff. But, I also use the OEM 15/16" tires and have decent roads. I also like a stiffer ride.

So, if you do go with Megans, I would recommend you ask for a custom order with ~300lb/in spring rates or less. They'll do this for a small fee. Same with KSports.

Dave

KWV3's DO NOT HAVE A HIGH SPRING RATE!!!! That's why people going from their Teins to KW's love them. :rolleyes: And there's nothing wrong with that - just know what is giving them a "nice ride."

of Dali):

1997+ NSX 196 224
2003 TypeR 570 465
Comptech Pro 1000 600
Tein Monoflex 674 787
KW V3 350 350
Megan 560 448

As you can see, the KW's have spring rates just a tad more than your OEM ones, yet are still way less than Teins' or Megans. As far as I know, KW's have no magical valving patents like JRZ or Moton, Bilstein, Koni, etc. They just have a standard shim stack. I would like to see a shock dyno of our V3's to see what shim stack design they use. I'm guessing a digressive/linear setup. Now, the bleed holes on your shim stacks is what determines the damper force reaction vs. velocity curves. Shim stacks can be made to have linear characteristics, digresive, or velocity-dependent. Depends on the track/driver.

It's tricky reading through all the perpetuating crap uneducated people post on the internet as "fact." Bottom line is do research (like you are NetViper) and look for objective facts instead of subjective "facts."

Also, I've never heard anyone saying the 2003 TypeR suspension was a decent ride on the street.

Three years, no leaks, still react the same to my average-quality roads. Now, if you have low-profile tires and desire a stock-like ride, these are not for you. These are the 560/448 lb/in spring rates so they are stiff. But, I also use the OEM 15/16" tires and have decent roads. I also like a stiffer ride.

So, if you do go with Megans, I would recommend you ask for a custom order with ~300lb/in spring rates or less. They'll do this for a small fee. Same with KSports.

Dave

Thanks for the info. I talked to BR yesterday and they said I could do 8/8 instead of 10/10 if I wanted to.

They are about an hour and a half from here. Might go check them out on the way to NSXcapades.

That's great, but nobody is saying the KW-3 isn't better. What we are saying is that the lower costs coilovers may be just fine for the large percent of us who will just drive our cars on the street.

That's great, but nobody is saying the KW-3 isn't better. What we are saying is that the lower costs coilovers may be just fine for the large percent of us who will just drive our cars on the street.

If anything I'd say the cheap ones would be worse than higher quality ones on the street vs. on the track, as the street is generally a more rough uneven surface than a track.

I would do Zanardi springs mated to some Bilstien or Koni dampers long before I would get cheap coilovers. Then you would have a reasonable spring rate, a decent drop (especially if you use the lower perch on the Bilstiens), as well as a quality damper, for about the same price or less than a cheap coilover.

Last edited:
My simple wish was to have the Edelbrock IAS for the NSX.

I have it in the truck and just love how the truck feels stiffer on smooth surfaces but softens up when I hit choppy roads.

No electronics to mess with.

All automatic.

twintube_callouts.gif

valve_open_closed.gif

KWV3's DO NOT HAVE A HIGH SPRING RATE!!!!

of Dali):

1997+ NSX 196 224
2003 TypeR 570 465
KW V3 350 350

As you can see, the KW's have spring rates just a tad more than your OEM ones, yet are still way less than Teins' or Megans.

I was wondering if one goes with the Ground Control solution with the same spring rates as KW V3 and the Koni yellow, would the NSX feel the same as one with the KW V3? Or is there something missing here?

KW no longer usus Koni internals. Everything is now built in house.

Mentioned this before as well. 350lbs is so close to your stock rate. Of course it will ride better on the road especially if the damper is valved properly. I then realized people who track their cars with KWs compensate with massive sway bars or simply preferred a lower spring rate which I don't.

No one is saying that KW V3s are bad. They're just so expensive IMHO for what you get. For the folks where money isn't as much of an issue then why didn't you get the JRZs then? Cost is relative for everyone.

On a different note, I agree with e.pie's suggestion on going with Bilsteins and some type of lowered spring setup. I went this route and the street ride was very nice with added mild stiffness in the rate. You just lack any real adjustability and the Bil/spring combo is as heavy as the stock setup. It wasn't until I started going to HPDEs that I wanted a stiffer setup and adjustability in height and damping. I've read some good reviews on the BC's from the Evo and STi forums which is why I started researching them. I'd say, per capita, those guys daily drive AND track their cars much more than over here. You just need to weed thru the boy racers. They then get classified over here as "cheap asian coilovers" so no one tries them and no one provides appropriate feedback.. good or bad.

In terms of ride height with the Bils...
I was also worried of bottoming out the Bils at the ride height I wanted (yes, I know about bump-steer etc). Now i'm wondering if that would have even been the case since the KWs have virtually the same shock body height as the Bils as Stevenlee pointed out on another thread. Then why is bottoming out the Bils such a concern but not for the KWs?

OEM_KW_Bilstein_shocks.JPG

of Dali):

1997+ NSX 196 224
2003 TypeR 570 465
Comptech Pro 1000 600
Tein Monoflex 674 787
KW V3 350 350
Megan 560 448

Dave
Are you saying jrz, moton, koni have magical valving? All brands have different design internals or slightly different bypasses and, needle valves, stacks, etc... moton and jrz being pretty much identical.

What do you nean by digressive/linear.

[I have the 450lb clubsport rates on my V3s and the ride quality is still very good.

Another problems with many coilovers is the use of very high rear spring rates. The rear wheel rate becomes ALOT more than the front which makes for a looser more oversteering car. The KWs front rates are almost 3x more than oem while the rears are a hundred lbs more. The V3 is a sporty and track competant coilover. If track driving is more of the focus then i would suggest the KW clubsport rates or put the NSX-R spring rates on.

The V3s will not perform like koni yellows. The valving is different and the KWs use a larger diameter piston which is better for control.

Mentioned this before as well. 350lbs is so close to your stock rate. Of course it will ride better on the road especially if the damper is valved properly. I then realized people who track their cars with KWs compensate with massive sway bars or simply preferred a lower spring rate which I don't.

No one is saying that KW V3s are bad. They're just so expensive IMHO for what you get. For the folks where money isn't as much of an issue then why didn't you get the JRZs then? Cost is relative for everyone.

On a different note, I agree with e.pie's suggestion on going with Bilsteins and some type of lowered spring setup. I went this route and the street ride was very nice with added mild stiffness in the rate. You just lack any real adjustability and the Bil/spring combo is as heavy as the stock setup. It wasn't until I started going to HPDEs that I wanted a stiffer setup and adjustability in height and damping. I've read some good reviews on the BC's from the Evo and STi forums which is why I started researching them. I'd say, per capita, those guys daily drive AND track their cars much more than over here. You just need to weed thru the boy racers. They then get classified over here as "cheap asian coilovers" so no one tries them and no one provides appropriate feedback.. good or bad.

I was also worried of bottoming out the Bils at the ride height I wanted (yes, I know about bump-steer etc). Now i'm wondering if that would have even been the case since the KWs have virtually the same shock body height as the Bils as Stevenlee pointed out on another thread. Then why is bottoming out the Bils such a concern but not for the KWs?

Are those fronts or rear dampers?

Last edited:
Are you saying jrz, moton, koni have magical valving? All brands have different design internals or slightly different bypasses and, needle valves, stacks, etc... moton and jrz being pretty much identical.

[I have the 450lb clubsport rates on my V3s and the ride quality is still very good.

Another problems with many coilovers is the use of very high rear spring rates. The rear wheel rate becomes ALOT more than the front which makes for a looser more oversteering car. The KWs front rates are almost 3x more than oem while the rears are a hundred lbs more. The V3 is a sporty and track competant coilover. If track driving is more of the focus then i would suggest the KW clubsport rates or put the NSX-R spring rates on.

The V3s will not perform like koni yellows. The valving is different and the KWs use a larger diameter piston which is better for control.

QUOTE=RYU;1503025]Mentioned this before as well. 350lbs is so close to your stock rate. Of course it will ride better on the road especially if the damper is valved properly. I then realized people who track their cars with KWs compensate with massive sway bars or simply preferred a lower spring rate which I don't.

Are those fronts or rear dampers?[/QUOTE]

These are the front dampers.

I like these coilover threads. They're always so informational!

Just spend the extra $700 & get the mono flex's...

The monoflex's have almost twice the spring rate as the KW's! As everyone's tolerance of ride comfort is subjective, I'd recommend NetViper get a ride in a car with those first.

With NSXCapades coming up, now is a great chance to sample various suspensions.

I've never taken apart a Moton or JRZ damper. I would expect them to be nearly the same since they were both primarily designed by Mr. Zuijdijk. It's like the variable frequency dampening or little innovative patented inertial valve on the Edelbrock's that Batmans pointed out where designs start to differ from the run-of-the-mill stuff.

By digressive/linear, I mean having these characteristics:
attachment.php

You wouldn't happen to have a dyno plot for our V3 application, would you Billy?

I also prefer higher spring rates in the front. For a few reasons, I don't hold Teins in high regards.

Dave

These are the front dampers.
Steven, would love to see a rear comparison if you have them also. Your pic spoke novels...

You wouldn't happen to have a dyno plot for our V3 application, would you Billy?
It's been asked before as well. Here's to hoping someone can provide one!
+1 :smile:

Back