• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best prices on synthetic oil? (Preferably Mobil 1)

So it's now approaching three months since I've had my NSX. When I first got it, my brother (Porsche fiend) forced me to use Mobil 1 in the NSX (he of course loves the NSX, uses Mobil 1 in his Porsche, and nearly wrestled me to the ground if I didn't give in). So I think, "what the hell" and I go to one of those quickie oil change places and ask for it (keep in mind that the NSX is the only car that I have ever owned that was WORTH using synthetic oil in).

Now after nearly 3 months, I can say I am really impressed with this stuff. I really don't know if all the stuff they say about it is true, but when I check the oil, it seems to be alot cleaner than the dinosaur based stuff that I used before. Now, I like to change my own oil, and it is getting near time to change it and I want to continue to use Mobil 1. The only problem is that the stuff is kind of pricey (and I readily admit I am a cheap bastard :D ). My question to any of you with more knowledge than me, where is the best price to be found on this stuff? I am planning on buying a huge hoard for future use. Anyone know? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

paulviriyapan said:
and I readily admit I am a cheap bastard :D

Boy, did you pick the WRONG car. But I can appreciate your thriftiness.

Mobil 1 usually varies in price, but not very much. More in the $4.83 - $4.99 range. The cheapest I found are in Wal-Mart. The more "pricier" ones are at your local auto store.

Actually, Mobil recently came out with the synthetic 10W30 in a handy 5-quart jug. So buy that and pour the whole thing in the engine tank. The NSX engine carries 5 quarts so it's perfect.

[edited]

Last edited:
Re: Re: Best prices on synthetic oil? (Preferably Mobil 1)

Joel said:
Actually, Mobil recently came out with the synthetic 10W30 in a handy 5 gallon jug. So buy that and pour the whole thing in the engine tank. The NSX engine carries 5 gallons so it's perfect.

GALLONS?? Uh...I think you mean QUARTS. Don't put 5 gallons of oil in your engine, you'll never get it started and end up with a big mess :)

The best way I know to stretch your oil $$ is to not change you oil so often. 3000mi 3month rule is made to put money in the oil change place's pockets. With modern oils and modern engine controls 3000mi oil changes are unnecessary There are threads here discussing oil change intervals. With Mobil 1 6000mi and 6 months would be very acceptable.

Brian

And make sure you buy a six pack of separate quarts, since 5 in NOT enough:).

HTH,
LarryB

I have been doing mine every 3K with mobil 1... am I just wasting money?

NetViper said:

Maybe... but it's not a lot of money, and it couldn't hurt.

I do mine every 3750 miles. Since it goes in for routine service every 7500 miles, and they change the oil there, every 3000 doesn't really make sense -- it doesn't divide right.

NetViper said:

Actually, oil change interval really depends on how you drive. With a decent oil filter & synth. oil, and you drive like a grandma or a lot of highway miles.. i would say you can even change your motor oil every 10k miles.

On the other hand, if you take your NSX to the track, i would recommend to replace your oil soon after your track sesssion..

-jjc.

JJCNSX said:
Actually, oil change interval really depends on how you drive. With a decent oil filter & synth. oil, and you drive like a grandma or a lot of highway miles.. i would say you can even change your motor oil every 10k miles.

-jjc.

I drive my car normal most of the time... I probably take it to the backroads and run it a couple times a month only.. I guess I am chaning the oil too frequently.

JJCNSX said:

On the other hand, if you take your NSX to the track, i would recommend to replace your oil soon after your track sesssion..

-jjc.

Oil change at 10K??? Don't risk it! DIY oil changes cost 28 bucks. I change my synthetic oil at 3k and have some piece of mind in doing so. Some may think that using synthetic and changing every 3k is a waste. Why take a chance?

I pick up Mobil 1 10W30 at Costco as well.

I typically change mine at 3,750 miles or before 6 months, whichever comes first (my last few changes have been on time intervals because I'm simply not putting very many miles on my car these days).

I use mobile 1, but I don't put 3500 miles on in a year. Is it really necessary to change the oil every 6 months with normal driving,(NO TRACK), when using mobile 1? With my limited driving wouldn't one year be acceptable? :confused:

paulviriyapan said:
So it's now approaching three months since I've had my NSX. When I first got it, my brother (Porsche fiend) forced me to use Mobil 1 in the NSX (he of course loves the NSX, uses Mobil 1 in his Porsche, and nearly wrestled me to the ground if I didn't give in). So I think, "what the hell" and I go to one of those quickie oil change places and ask for it (keep in mind that the NSX is the only car that I have ever owned that was WORTH using synthetic oil in).

Now after nearly 3 months, I can say I am really impressed with this stuff. I really don't know if all the stuff they say about it is true, but when I check the oil, it seems to be alot cleaner than the dinosaur based stuff that I used before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So when you say you've only had the car 3months, what did you use before that? I think you'll find that any synthetic or conventional oil will come out just as clean the day it went in, at least in my case it does. I think that's true of most NSX's due to their clean burning nature. I use Castrol GTX 10W-30 with great results and go about 5,000 between changes.

btw 3,000 between changes is WAY too early under any circumstance unless you use it for off-roading which I wouldn't exactly recommend.

K-mart has decent prices on all brands.

ANYTIME said:
Oil change at 10K??? Don't risk it! DIY oil changes cost 28 bucks. I change my synthetic oil at 3k and have some piece of mind in doing so. Some may think that using synthetic and changing every 3k is a waste. Why take a chance?

Well, how you want to change your oil is really upto you.

I am just giving my opinion. Based from a Surpa TT list member, he sent his motor oil for oil analysis after 10k miles under NORMAL driving.. with Redline 10w 30 and K&N oil filter, .. i cant remember the exat result, bascially, it was still more than acceptable.. I understand NSX is "high rev motor", but supra's twin turbos are NO PUSHOVER either..

i remember there was a study done with NYC taxi cabs. After 7500 miles of CITY driving with REGULAR DINO motor oil change interval. There was virtually no excessive engine wear.

Again, like i said, how you want to replace your oil is fully upto you. If you are very concerned about your car, you might want to pick up a magnetic drain plug.. which you can pick one up from local auto supply shop for under 5 buck.. or go buy one from Ebay for $ 20 SPOON plug if you have lots of cash..

remember, if i were you, i would NOT add any of those so call "oil additive" they might harm your engine if anything.

with today's technology, acceptable interval with decent synthetic oil and decent oil filter.. your NSX is probably gonna breakdown with something other than motor oil related problem..

-jjc.
93 Red NSX
93 Blk Supra TT

Larry Bastanza said:
And make sure you buy a six pack of separate quarts, since 5 in NOT enough:).

HTH,
LarryB

Really?! When I changed my oil and put in 5 quarts, I checked the level and was near/slightly above the top dot on the stick. So I didn't bother putting the 6th one in.

Am I missing something here?!

I believe the manual says you will need 5.3 quarts for an oil change including changing the filter.

If you changed the filter (did you?) and you gave it a chance for ALL the oil to drain (did you?), and you only put in 5 quarts, and you start the car to give the oil a chance to start flowing through the filter (did you?), and you then check the oil, I would expect the oil level to be about one third of the way from the top line on the dipstick to the bottom line.

Last edited:
Back