• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

best racing orgs for instruction in north east?

hey everyone, first post on nsx prime.

my brother just bought a black 93 nsx which we are planning on taking to the track this summer. last time i was (spectating) at lime rock i got a emra (emraracing.org) flier. im all set to go to some of their events but i'm looking for people recommendations of northeast organizations that have good instruction.

thanks

will

Join the NSX Club of America and drive it in the drivers school at the annual NSXPO 2007 national event in October. This year it will be in Ohio, not too far away, with the track event at Mid-Ohio.

Also, the Northeast Region of the club has a bunch of folks who track their cars with groups like Trackmasters at the Glen...

scda is a good organization,but if you want to get in on those LRP dates you best sign up now.

Boy Wonder:
I suggest that you discount EMRA, as that organization's specialty is time trials, not true high performance instruction. Also Lime Rock is so short (1.53 miles) and bumpy that you won't be able to get the most from your NSX. Go to www.trackmasters.com as their instruction program is highly regarded by those who know. The only problem is that they only have two novice schools
per year and they are based at Watkins Glen (3.34 miles), which is the perfect track for the NSX.
(old & slow)

thanks for the advice, i think ill do lime rock despite your advice because it is minutes away from where the car is stored. i will do trackmasters but thats not until august. scda does several at NIS and the glen before then

instead of attending the lapping weekends why not enroll in Skip Barbers 3-day racing school at Lime Rock and really learn how to drive a car on a racetrack?

Wow, I haven't posted here in a long time.

In terms of instruction, I don't know of any group that does a better job than CarGuys in the Northeast. Their events are more expensive than most, but for somebody just starting out I think they are the best around. I like doing TrackMasters events, but those to me mean more for the track time, not the instruction quality.

I've also done Skip Barber, but wouldn't recommend that for an absolute novice. I think the value from Skip Barber comes when you already have an idea of what you are doing, and want to hone your skills to the next level. For somebody who has never been on track before there are better ways to spend your money.

Obviously this is all just my opinion, but it is at least a relatively educated opinion.....

Matt (who hasn't been to an NSX event in about five years, but still loves you guys)

carguys is only at summit and vir?

I haven't looked at their website in years, but I did an event with them at the Glen back in the day (probably 1999). If your brother really gets into this, and he will because it's so damn addicting, CarGuys at VIR is something to keep in mind.

I actually recommend Lime Rock for first timers. Its such a simple track it allows you to spend your first day learning track etiquette, performance driving basics and refining your driving skills. You go to the Glen and you'll spend the whole day just trying to remember what corner comes next. You go to NHIS and you'll spend the day freaking out over all the walls and barriers. Go to Lime Rock a couple times till you're comfortable with the whole HPDE scene, then start exploring other tracks.

Focusing on Lime Rock: EMRA is for time trials, PDA is for track time, SCDA is for instruction, and BMWCCA is for really serious instruction. I coax my wife into at least one track day a year, and for her the intense nature and structure of the BMW events were very reassuring her first couple times out. Once you're comfortable though you'll really appreciate the slightly more relaxed culture of clubs like SCDA (props to Peter and Trackmasters - when you do go to the Glen, do Trackmasters. My wife still raves about their head instructor's classroom sessions).

Just do it! :smile:
-Gregg

Back