• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

best radar detector for nsx

passport-iq_01a.jpg

Just got this email. Time to do some research.

Bring any of these devices into Canada, and you'll get the biggest ticket you've ever seen, its worse than a DUI.

Perfectly legal in Alberta. In fact, laser jammers are legal.

I believe Manitoba and Ontario are the only provinces that ban or make radar detectors illegal.

Last edited:
Bring any of these devices into Canada, and you'll get the biggest ticket you've ever seen, its worse than a DUI.

Legal in BC too, and I still love my 5 year old V1, the arrows and the bogey counter are the difference.

Peter

If you put it in the Nav Pod, won't you be obstructing the path of the radar detector? Or at least severely limiting its effectiveness?

Interesting. Don't radar detectors intercept radio waves? If so, I would think that the plastic of the navpod would attenuate the incoming signal less than the windshield itself would. I concede that I am adding a layer of attenuation, but it is minimal and lacks any real density.

nikey22 -- as an expat Torontonian living in Michigan for the past 22 years I just love the regime in Ontario. The latest signs along the 401 advising that if you exceed the speed limit (and for our American friends the limit along the 401 in Ontario is an insanely low 100 kph/62 mph) by more than 30 kph you risk immediate roadside seizure of your vehicle and a $10,000 fine are enough to make you puke. Its all the more galling when you look at the flow of traffic and most if not all vehicles are driving at least 70-80 mph. A cash grab if I've ever seen one. The latest trick (well, not all that new but I mention it for the benefit of our US brothers and sisters who may find themselves in the Province of Ontario) of the OPP is to put a car on top of overpasses/bridges and use the radar gun from there. I witnessed this along the 402 last weekend when I went to London, Ont to meet a friend for dinner.

What a system.

Cheers,
Jeff

Interesting. Don't radar detectors intercept radio waves? If so, I would think that the plastic of the navpod would attenuate the incoming signal less than the windshield itself would. I concede that I am adding a layer of attenuation, but it is minimal and lacks any real density.

If you do it, let us know how it works out. Size is 5".

I am thinking of purchasing the IQ for the NSX. Does anyone have it yet?
I just need to know if the Navi works well.

I ordered it last week...

However when I called back asking when they will ship... Answer was about 2 weeks...

They are advertising it but I dont believe they have it in stock...

I really wanna try this out...

Anyone have better luck than me on this issue?

Jeff

I am thinking of purchasing the IQ for the NSX. Does anyone have it yet?
I just need to know if the Navi works well.

wait for version 2.x
it will have bluetooth for your phone and FM modulation for the audio.
As per Passport Technical support.

I picked up a Valentine One for my trip to NSXpo. Bets money I've spent in a long time. The arrows and Bogey counter found some interesting traps that might have otherwise got me. Now, if V1 can incorporate GPS for speed/red light cameras and falsing like some of the newer ones...

I have two Valentine 1s and it's love/hate relationship. (I have 3 cars and I got sick of always having to move my only V1.) I love the way they work. I hate the way they always come undone from the windshields. I've tried cleaning the windshield with rubbing alcohol and put on new suction cups. Anyone else have this problem? :confused:

I've never been a fan of the standard issue cups that come with car accesories.The guys who post about in car cameras describe some industrial strength suction cups that don't come off.I had a my tech hard wire the V1 from the driver side fuse box up the passenger side a pillar and I use the visor clip.

I saw the IQ at SEMA and it is pretty small, but thick. No go for the nav pod. I also saw a Cobra system that integrated other your iPod, but it seemed almost pointless because it tied up 2 devices to perform a single job.

I have two Valentine 1s and it's love/hate relationship. (I have 3 cars and I got sick of always having to move my only V1.) I love the way they work. I hate the way they always come undone from the windshields. I've tried cleaning the windshield with rubbing alcohol and put on new suction cups. Anyone else have this problem? :confused:
I don't. However, one "trick" I use is to shove the RD up as far forward as I can on the dash, so the pressure between the dash and the windshield is holding it in addition to the suction cups themselves. The only problem I have is that, after a while, the little "loop" on the suction cups (where the metal "wire" attaches) breaks, so I have to replace a suction cup occasionally. But I ordered a bunch of them from V1 so I always have plenty around.

^Ken, that works in the NSX with the angle of the windshield but not in my S2000 or RAVV4. I got out some more new suction cups and I'll try that again. :rolleyes:

The suction mount that came with my V1 has never fallen off.

Usually a good cleaning of the suction cups and the window do the trick! This keeps mine attached to the windshield after moving from vehicle to vehicle. Wash the suction cups, you don't even have to dry them off, the water will help increase the suction.

If that doesn't work for you then you could also purchase my NSX specific mid-window mount.

Last edited:
Back