• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

best radar detector for nsx

I thought radar detectors were obsolete with the new police radars? I guess not?

Just laser, but from my experience not many cops use it because it's not as passive as normal radar, they have to actively aim it at cars vs. just blasting away on the side of the highway while they sit in the car.

In 5+ years of driving with a radar detector I could count on one hand the amount of times I've been hit with laser.

Bring any of these devices into Canada, and you'll get the biggest ticket you've ever seen, its worse than a DUI.
I guess I got lucky when I was in ontario. I got pulled over for having a radar detector. The "nice" officer gave me 2 options. I pay the $450 fine for having a radar detector and keep it or I have him confiscate the radar detector and get a warning. I just gave him my radar detector and I got my warning.

Is it legal to use a radar detector in Washington State, Oregon, and California?

Radar detectors are legal, jammers are usually not.

Although radar detectors are legal in majority of the states, you have to be careful because some states do not allow you to stick anything on the windshield, so you can get a ticket if you use a suction mount.

Radar detectors are legal, jammers are usually not.

Although radar detectors are legal in majority of the states, you have to be careful because some states do not allow you to stick anything on the windshield, so you can get a ticket if you use a suction mount.

Isn't your Rear View Mirror attached to your windshield???
What about a GPS?

Silly Law, don't they have more to worry about?

For those with suction cup issues: try this:
http://www.blendmount.com/

Last edited:
Hey Warren

It's been a really long time since I last saw what my mirror looks like in the NSX.

For your recommendation, which type of mirror do we have?
http://www.blendmount.com/acura.html

My '91 has has a stem that is shaped like a chili pepper, but it isn't exactly as they show on the web site. If ordering I would take a picture and send it to Blendmount for their assistance. I don't have this mount but have been thinking about ordering.

The perfect solution to NO CUTTING or real installation of anything is very simple. Go to Walmart and buy a generic GPS mount. The one I have is http://www.walmart.com/ip/iWave-IA300-Universal-Car-Holder-for-GPS-and-iPod-iPhone/15676028 . It adjusts to any size really, and clamps down on both sides of the radar detector. You then... stick it to the Back window. Any GPS mount that is able to slide around either side of the radar detector will work!

The only downside to this is you cannot see the screen on the detector at all, obviously because it is behind your head. After a while though, I just distinguish what noises are associated with what type of radar being hit. :redface:

And, finally, the Beltronics STi Driver is one of the BEST non-detectable radars out right now. :biggrin:

The perfect solution to NO CUTTING or real installation of anything is very simple. Go to Walmart and buy a generic GPS mount. The one I have is http://www.walmart.com/ip/iWave-IA300-Universal-Car-Holder-for-GPS-and-iPod-iPhone/15676028 . It adjusts to any size really, and clamps down on both sides of the radar detector. You then... stick it to the Back window. Any GPS mount that is able to slide around either side of the radar detector will work!

The only downside to this is you cannot see the screen on the detector at all, obviously because it is behind your head. After a while though, I just distinguish what noises are associated with what type of radar being hit. :redface:

And, finally, the Beltronics STi Driver is one of the BEST non-detectable radars out right now. :biggrin:

Or get a V1 with a remote display :wink:

What would we all pay for an iphone or android app that works something like this: users turn it on and you push one of several buttons that sends the lat long coordinate of an observed trap from the phone gps along with a modifier such as: fixed, moving etc. So you would have a real-time indication of when to watch out. Could probably even filter how old the data would be - ie get rid of any indication more than two hours old. This could bevery effective depending on number of observers in an area. You could still run your detector. Sort of like hi-tech headlight-flashing.

I don't know about all this latest greatest stuff...my 15 yo V1 still seems to work just fine:cool:

What would we all pay for an iphone or android app that works something like this: users turn it on and you push one of several buttons that sends the lat long coordinate of an observed trap from the phone gps along with a modifier such as: fixed, moving etc. So you would have a real-time indication of when to watch out. Could probably even filter how old the data would be - ie get rid of any indication more than two hours old. This could bevery effective depending on number of observers in an area. You could still run your detector. Sort of like hi-tech headlight-flashing.
Passport 9500xi can do this, but no buttons to push. It uses GPS to identify your position, it relates to past detection at recorded locations, plus downloadable red light, speed on green locations. It can also filter out automatic door false alarms and record them as you drive.
They have another product that has GPS maps as well, recording locations in the same manner.
If you want just a warning of locations on your iphone, get the Trapster app, set a perimeter location, using their web site, and your iphone will warn you of speed traps, red light cameras and speed on greens that other have located and recorded.

Last edited:

From the pics, I can't say that I'm a fan. It's just hanging there, right in the middle of the windshield, blocking a significant amount of the field of vision. Plus, in California at least I don't think it'd be legal -- we're generally not allowed to hang things from our rear view mirrors.

Where does the power cord go?

If you could turn it upside down and have the V1 sit above the rear view mirror rather than below, that would be a more interesting mount.

Last edited:
From the pics, I can't say that I'm a fan. It's just hanging there, right in the middle of the windshield, blocking a significant amount of the field of vision. Plus, in California at least I don't think it'd be legal -- we're generally not allowed to hang things from our rear view mirrors.

Where does the power cord go?

If you could turn it upside down and have the V1 sit above the rear view mirror rather than below, that would be a more interesting mount.

It's actually illegal to attach a radar detector to your front windshield in California:

V.C. 26708. (a) (1) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows

Although I have never heard of this being enforced.

Mounting high (near the visor) will often result in reduced rear visibility, cause interference with the middle visor on the nsx, etc.

As for the power cord, hardwire from the kick panel, up the apillar, and tuck it into the headliner, then run the cord through the bracket into the detector.

It's called trapster. You're welcome. ;)

Back