• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Route from LA to Carmel?

Hey guys, what is the route from LA (Orange County actually) to Carmel/Monterrey that would take the least amount of driving time?

I know the most obvious way is to take the 101 north, but is there a faster route by cutting over to the 5 anywhere? Of course the 5 has been very crowded the half dozen times I have driven up north over the past year as compared to the way it was 7 years ago....

I think the 101 is a much more enjoyable drive but 5 is a little quicker. Should take about 5 hours. Maybe crossover (ie 198) from the 5 to the 101?

I live in San Luis Obispo, and I go 101 all the way. It is 70 all they way, just like 5. Be sure to have a good fuzz buster, and you should make it in good time.

From SLO it is a 2.5 hour drive, from SLO to LA is a 3.5 hour drive.

For a real treat, take the 5 north (bo-ring) and cut across at Coalinga on the 198, it's about 45 miles of awesome twisties and open runs in a beautiful valley. I usually only see (um, pass) a couple other cars on the run. Takes you across to the 101 about 20 miles south of Carmel / Monterrey, continue N and head west again through a town called Spreckles for a shortcut. Then on the way back, try Highway 1 at dawn, I only saw (um, passed) 3 cars one Sunday AM. Neither are the quickest routes but both are alot of fun.

Go north young man, go north.......... Horace Greeley

Danny RED SR 71 :wink: :smile: :biggrin:

Back