• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best sounding production car

I work a lot with Maserati's the tone is very recognizable, although a F430 driving along will easily fool you (same engine) i'm not that big a fan of a flat plain engine though, it always sounds like they are doing a hell of a effort just cruising or running stationary

Are you talking about this?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XiyOjaDm3K4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes. If we are talking strictly factory stock, then the MG sound is about the best you can find in a straight 4, even better than an e30 M3 four banger from the factory. Now an Offie 4 banger can have a better sound (in my opinion), but then again it is not production. You see, exhaust sounds are a matter of taste only and everyone has a different idea as to the type of sound they prefer. It is like speakers and guitars, very personal. I gave a cross-section of my preferences which included a sports car, an exotic and an american muscle.

docjohn was fortunate enough to hear an F-50 at full throttle. Not all of us have heard that and not all of us have heard an LFA. We are simply listing what we have heard in person, not on some youtube post.

And I agree, biscuits needs to take it easy. :wink:

I did hear an aston martin DB9-S. i believe it was a db something, and i was surprised at how good it sounded. I love the sound of the AMG line of mercedes v8's but i cannot remember what a v12 sounds like in AMG form. I remember when the g35 came out how shocked people were that it sounded that good. I expect a 300k super car to sound good but normally you don't get that in a 35k one!

Last edited:
I guess you're going to have to be a bit more enlightening when your trying to be funny, because for me and at least a few others on this board who have pmed me about it you just come off sounding like a pompous ass.

:rolleyes:

Dude, if you want to reply to the subject, do so. If you don't, go to the next thread. If you don't like me, do us both a favor and use your ignore button.

Last edited:
I did hear an aston martin DB9-S. i believe it was a db something, and i was surprised at how good it sounded. I love the sound of the AMG line of mercedes v8's but i cannot remember what a v12 sounds like in AMG form. I remember when the g35 came out how shocked people were that it sounded that good. I expect a 300k super car to sound good but normally you don't get that in a 35k one!

Yeah on a V6 they got it tuned really well. You know Zonda is AMG V12's, right? So if you wonder, you can listen to the NA zondas.

I am shocked and let down no one has removed mufflers and cats on the LFA yet.:confused: Let it scream!!!

I think that will make it worse. That is the most tuned exhaust I know of. Ask mac attack Dave. He knows it really well.

Also, the cars are all leased so removing mufflers and this and that may not be looked to kindly upon by lexus. All 600 or so cars are leased as far as I know.

I didnt think even a renntech/brabus tuned amg v12 would sound like a zonda.

Yeah but they are using the turbo motors. That totally changes the sound. The Zonda engines are built by AMG and using MB parts but they aren't just tuned versions of the motor you see in like an SL600.

I just don't think turbo motors can sound as good as NA motors. The Best sounds always seem to be NA.

Not in any order:

E-type Jaguar, any of the ones prior to 1968. Can pick it out blindfolded.
355 Ferrari
Mid sixties Triumph TR4, 4A, and the MGB.
5.0 Mustangs
1967 Corvette 427 Tri-Power w/side pipes.
1967 Ferrari 275 GTB
1967 Ferrari 250 LM
Of course the Ferrari 458.
Ferrari always has had a great sounding car.

I bet Passline's Lambo and RPM217's Ford Gt sound great.:biggrin:

The LFA in my opinion sounds amazing although I don't like the car much.

I also really like the e60 m5 with resonators deleted, something about that v10!

If you mean cars I've actually heard, not Youtube videos.(can't tell from a video) I would have to say Ferrari Enzo. Ferrari 458, Indy cars, and top fuel dragsters.

You know I was thinking... We always try this and that exhaust on the NSX but we don't work that much on the intake. And that's the thing the factory favored over the exhaust. Sure we have the various filters and stuff but no one has really concentrated specifically on in-cabin intake sound. So many new cars now plumb the intake into and through the cabin. It sounds fantastic.

You know I was thinking... We always try this and that exhaust on the NSX but we don't work that much on the intake. And that's the thing the factory favored over the exhaust. Sure we have the various filters and stuff but no one has really concentrated specifically on in-cabin intake sound. So many new cars now plumb the intake into and through the cabin. It sounds fantastic.
I was thinking about that point a week ago too, BMW does it all the time.
Adding the filter in the fender should help,

I don't see a way of linking the airbox to the actual cabin or partition glass.
off course a ITB setup will do the job but that's costly.

A roof intake is the only option then.
But a ram intake into the fenders should give a nice roar certainly in V-Tec

Last edited:
Unfortunately FI killed my Vtec sound... :frown:

Unfortunately FI killed my Vtec sound... :frown:

Yikes. There's reason #1 not to go FI. With my new CT exhaust VTEC is a symphony that I conduct with my feet... I love it.

Yikes. There's reason #1 not to go FI. With my new CT exhaust VTEC is a symphony that I conduct with my feet... I love it.

Losing the sound is a definite loss but another 100+ HP More than makes up for it. Trust me. :wink:

I saw a Ferrari FXX at the F-1 Expo in Austin a few months ago but didn't get to hear it run. (If you look closely in the pic you can see my NSX in the reflection.) So I went to Youtube and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsCOEHZ1Szw

I would put it just above the LFA for sound but I like them both on my list with the Ford GT40.

Excuse my bias (its an Italian thing)

by cylinders:

2cyl:
Fiat 500 Abarth (original)

4cyl:
Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

6cyl: (tie)
Ferrari Dino
1973 911S (mechanical injection)
Austin Healy 3000
NSX

8cyl:
Ferrari 458 Italia

10cyl: (tie)
LFA
R10

12cyl:
Ferrari Enzo & any other 12cyl. F-car

BMW 850CSi with an exhaust is a very nice sound. F355 is nice, too.

Favorite sound stock though is definitely the Pantera.

Back