• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best track tire for novice

So what would you recommend? I have no desire to run my 18/19 street setup and it rubs alot on the street already and the wheels are super heavy. I'm going to buy a set of new tires for my 17/18 ssr i just need help on what would be the best to get.
I agree with docjohn. Get a set of good "extreme performance" street tires. You can drive them on the street/highway as well as on the track, and you'll be very happy with them in both places. These are the stickiest street tires you can get, but they're still not R compound tires. The sizes you'll want are 215/40-17 for the front, and either 255/35-18 or 265/35-18 for the rear. (I prefer the 265 rears on a '91-93 NSX, and 255 on a '94-05 NSX, as those would be best for the TCS, although either size will work.) The best tires you can get in these sizes are the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec (first choice) and the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R (second choice).

Anyone have any experience with the Sumitomo htr zii? Just wondering as I've never seen or heard of them before but they're really cheap with good reviews on tirerack

Anyone have any experience with the Sumitomo htr zii? Just wondering as I've never seen or heard of them before but they're really cheap with good reviews on tirerack
They're crap - an old tire that was not very good when it first came out, and has been on the market for way too many years. It's an ultra high performance tire (several categories down in performance) and far worse than other tires in the category. Stay away!

Their HTR Z III, on the other hand, is very good - not as sticky as the extreme performance tires, but decent within the maximum performance category.

If you're looking for tires for your 17"/18" wheels that will perform well on the street, and you want to keep value (price and treadlife) in mind, then a good choice is the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport, another maximum performance tire. But if you're going to use these tires on the track as well as the street, then you may as well step up to the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec.

Last edited:
So what would you recommend? I have no desire to run my 18/19 street setup and it rubs alot on the street already and the wheels are super heavy. I'm going to buy a set of new tires for my 17/18 ssr i just need help on what would be the best to get. I get that i don't need slicks my first few times with the car, but i also am going to be buying a set of tires that i will be able to push once i learn the car and not have to buy multiple sets of tires. The car has WPPRO 6pot brake setup with new pads already.

I haven't heard of Roebling before, but it looks to be about 5hours away which is about as far as i'd ever think about traveling for a track day. Road Atlanta was really run in my 335i, my instructors said my limiting factor was my tires as they began to push about halfway through a 20min session (running Continental extreme contact 275/30/19, 235/35/19 i think) However, i did not enjoy the downhill sweeping turn 12 i believe that led back to the front straight/pit area!

I second the advice given on z2's and ad08r's. I run the z2's "older version to what's released now and love them". I'm a rookie...

Be aware if you have drilled Wp pro rotors they'll spider web and eventually crack if you run in 100 degree weather like I did at VIR. You may want to set up some brake duct work to help keep rotor temps in check. A mod I have yet to do but when I stick my new brakes on its a must.

Be aware if you have drilled Wp pro rotors they'll spider web and eventually crack if you run in 100 degree weather like I did at VIR. You may want to set up some brake duct work to help keep rotor temps in check. A mod I have yet to do but when I stick my new brakes on its a must.
ALL front rotors will eventually crack with sufficient track use. I've tried them all - cross-drilled, slotted, and solid-faced - and all cracked, after roughly the same amount of use (in my case, 800-1400 actual track miles). It's a good idea to take a close look at your rotors at the same time you're looking at the thickness of your brake pads - at least once or twice a day if they look good, or after every session if they start to spider web and/or the pads are getting thin. The cracks tend to form in a radial direction; my rule of thumb was to replace them once they got around 1/2 inch long, or if you could feel them with the edge of your fingernail (don't try this when you come off the track and the rotors are hot!).

There are quite a few performance tire related threads on here recently. I wish we could consolidate all these good discussions.

I noticed this review today comparing the NT-01, which is a tried and true R-compound "DOT legal" favorite with the new comer "Street" tire the Bridgestone RE-71R. They seem to be equally as fast and supports some of the chatter i've been hearing from friends. This tire is fast. Just not sure how it handles heat and how fast it wears.

EDIT: But a las... the NSX curse. Does not appear to be NSX Friendly sizes in the RE-71R

From what I understand, the RE-71R is an autocross tire that will not last in a 20-minute track session. But I don't know. AJ (@solonsx) runs them in 225/45-17 for the front with some rub at full lock. When you care about autocross rules (200 TW), that's something you just have to accept. He reports no TCS issues though, so at least they have that going for them.

From what I understand, the RE-71R is an autocross tire that will not last in a 20-minute track session. But I don't know. AJ (@solonsx) runs them in 225/45-17 for the front with some rub at full lock. When you care about autocross rules (200 TW), that's something you just have to accept. He reports no TCS issues though, so at least they have that going for them.
Exactly.

I really don't like blanket statements like "street tires are better for beginners than R-comps" because there's always exceptions.

The argument that "Street tires are safer than R-comps" is invalid since the RE71R "Street Tire" is as fast as an NT01/R888 "R-comps" in cold weather, but on a hot day with high track temps, it loses a lot of grip, becomes greasy, vague, and unpredictable. This is compounded on a heavy car with small tires. This characteristic is similar to the original Falken 615 or many lower performing tires with tall skinny tread blocks, which are NOT GOOD for a beginner. In this situation, a full tread NT01 or Toyo RA-1 would be more heat resistant, consistent, and predictable.

An experienced driver can drive a car on worse 'street' tires faster than a beginner on stickier 'R-comps'. You don't have to go that fast to get hurt, so it's not completely accurate to correlate a tire's grip and speed potential to danger.

A beginner and more experienced driver alike are more likely to make a mistake on overheated and vague all-season tires (or even some "maximum" or "extreme" performance tires that are out of their operating range and get greasy) than they would on a good predictable R-comp (like the RA-1 or NT01) that stays in its operating temperature range an isn't overheated. Personally, I would rather a beginner to have the most consistent and predictable tire for their conditions than a vague all-season tire that will overheat on a hot day, if they're serious about tracking their car.

A lightweight Miata will work tires differently (for handling, longevity, etc...) than a heavy M3 with undersized tires, so it depends on the car's weight, tire size, tire model, and the weather conditions you're going to be using them in.

I agree with the idea of going going to the track for the first time on whatever reasonably good condition street tires you may have as long as its safe, you do some homework and make sure you're on top of your tire pressures (you don't have to buy new tires just to dip your toes in and get some experience), but if you're actively going to go purchase tires and you're a beginner, there's a lot more to it than just "street" vs "R-comp". You should look at your situation and conditions to make the best decision.

There will almost always be a tradeoff in selecting a tire. Tire SIZE, Compound, ride quality, noise, speed/grip (when cold), speed/grip (when hot), predictability/communication, consistency, longevity, wet performance, dry performance, weight, sidewall stiffness, steering response, etc... If you haven't read it, this is a must read:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...LY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx

Having said all of that, for the lightweight NSX, I don't think you can go wrong with the AD08, Z2 StarSpec, and the Pilot Super Sport. Keep in mind the more experienced and faster you are, the heavier your car, and the narrower your tires, the more you are going to put heat in your tires and be prone to overheating them.

Something to consider:

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 235/40-17 & 275/35-18 combo is 11.12% larger in surface area (width x circumference) than the factory 215/40-17 & 255/40-17 sizes. This increase will make the tires last longer before they overheat, which becomes more important the fast you are as a driver, the more prone your tires are to overheating (Dunlop ZII, Sumitomo HTR ZII, Yoko S.Drive), and the hotter the track conditions.

If you overheat your tires half way through a session, you're:

- slower
- working harder behind the wheel and likely struggling
- more prone to make a mistake (simple or significant)
- not learning as much

To maximize learning, track time, and safety, not only is choosing a tire (for your situation, IE: more heat tolerant tire if you live in the desert) but considering the tire size (width, diameter = surface area) is also very important.

Now if you're looking to break track records 1 lap at a time in cold climates, your needs (and tire decision) will be different from someone who wants a consistent tire that lasts an entire 30 minute session.

Last edited:
Reviving this thread.

I have been tracking my car with AROSC (Alfa Club of Southern California, a small car club) for over a year and a half, and have taken two high performance driving school weekends. I'm running in the intermediate group (solo) with point-by anywhere on the track. I have been running Dunlop DII Srar Specs. I have decided to move up one car class with slightly faster cars since my times have been competitive with most cars running in the faster class. Since I'm moving up in class voluntarily, I can now up-grade my tires without being penalized. I was originally looking at slicks (Toyo RR's, Nitos and Hankooks). But I was advised to go with Toyo R888 for a while, then move to slicks. I assume taking an interim step was recommended for some of the reasons stated previously. I just don't how long to stick with R888 before moving onto slicks. I guess the time period will depend on seat time. I generally participate in 5 - 6 track weekends per year plus at least one high performance driving class weekend. Any other advice or am I on the right track?

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about slicks. Just go to a good R compound tire. Pick whatever one is available for your wheel size. The R888 is fine.

agree^^ but it runs wide.

Back