• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Big Bore Throttle Body. A worthy mod? Which one is best?

At this point we do know that you can buy a kit from Japan to do this mod ( don't know if you read that or not ) so others are doing it it's just not anything someone has done here. Thanks for the tech info ,but again if there's a kit available someone has already figured this out. I honestly don't mind the nay sayers as positive needs negative. If it doesn't work out hey you guys warned us in advance , but if it does work it's a nice mod we can share with the board. In the US we do plenty of switching between Ford and GM stuff so why not Honda and Nissan parts? My concern is fuel as at this point if we're adding this much extra air we're going to need more fuel.
There's a lot of stuff from Japan that seems to have little correlation between cost and value. ;) Not sure what the kit contains, as I've forgotten most of my Japanese, but I don't see an adapter plate in any of the pics. If you are intent on squeezing out every last drop of HP then, by all means, go for it. I'm not a naysayer; I'm a realist. If you agree that priorities should be set based on cost/value, then there are lower-hanging fruits to pick. If money was no object, the car would already have I/H/E/FI/weight reduction/suspension, and you could write a blank check to have someone figure out all the little issues that will come up (I mentioned the obvious ones). If $800-1200 headers give 20HP, then expect to pay over $40-60/HP, since headers are among the cheapest mods. There are no secrets...the guys who designed the C30A don't look at a 90mm TB and slap their foreheads in regret they didn't think of using that instead. I would love to see dyno results for this mod (and only this mod--not combined with other things). But I'm not willing to pay for it, and I don't relish the thought of being a guinea pig for working out bugs. (Despite the fact I have 2 Q45 TBs in my garage, and engines to match).
Fuel delivery shouldn't be a problem if the system's healthy. I would bet $20 the engine is over 90% efficient at WOT...an extra few% of air should be covered by the stock capacity and map. Even the CTSC @ ~340whp only bumps the fuel pressure on stock injectors.

Ton, I don't mean to discourage you, as you will satisfy your-and our--curiosity no matter what. The part is paid for and hopefully it won't cost much more than some leisure time. I am glad someone is willing to try it and I sincerely hope you're happy with the results. If you ever need any references for the Q let me know--I'm extremely familiar with it.

I wonder if the throttle body is a bottleneck with a comptech supercharger.

Yes, it becomes a measurable bottleneck, as does the intake manifold. It's not the end of the world though. Both might rob a CTSC of 5-10HP.

That VH45DE TB is humongous. The standard NSX BBTB should eliminate bottleneck from all but insane turbo setups that would require ITBs anyway.

There's a lot of stuff from Japan that seems to have little correlation between cost and value. ;) Not sure what the kit contains, as I've forgotten most of my Japanese, but I don't see an adapter plate in any of the pics. If you are intent on squeezing out every last drop of HP then, by all means, go for it. I'm not a naysayer; I'm a realist. If you agree that priorities should be set based on cost/value, then there are lower-hanging fruits to pick. If money was no object, the car would already have I/H/E/FI/weight reduction/suspension, and you could write a blank check to have someone figure out all the little issues that will come up (I mentioned the obvious ones). If $800-1200 headers give 20HP, then expect to pay over $40-60/HP, since headers are among the cheapest mods. There are no secrets...the guys who designed the C30A don't look at a 90mm TB and slap their foreheads in regret they didn't think of using that instead. I would love to see dyno results for this mod (and only this mod--not combined with other things). But I'm not willing to pay for it, and I don't relish the thought of being a guinea pig for working out bugs. (Despite the fact I have 2 Q45 TBs in my garage, and engines to match).
Fuel delivery shouldn't be a problem if the system's healthy. I would bet $20 the engine is over 90% efficient at WOT...an extra few% of air should be covered by the stock capacity and map. Even the CTSC @ ~340whp only bumps the fuel pressure on stock injectors.

Ton, I don't mean to discourage you, as you will satisfy your-and our--curiosity no matter what. The part is paid for and hopefully it won't cost much more than some leisure time. I am glad someone is willing to try it and I sincerely hope you're happy with the results. If you ever need any references for the Q let me know--I'm extremely familiar with it.

Oh wow is the link back up? I didn't see any pictures on their site just a statement about it. I didn't say this was a priority and I'm not sure I saw anyone else saying it was either. Just something that may work that a few of us have decided to look into. Your not willing to be our guinea pig??? come on take one for the team..LoL just kidding. You pretty sure about the fuel info? if so thats good news and one less thing to be concerned about. I may be out of the loop on this anyway as this may not even work on my NA2. LoL I wish headers would my year vehicle that much of a boost.

If it doesn't work, put this on the list of another one of my bad ideas. I'm giving it a shot though, because this seems to be a popular mod in Japan.

Put it on my list as well...if there's room left:biggrin:

My suggestion would be to contact Chris at SOS.

After speaking with Chris I ordered the the BBTB, the tuned intake manifold, the Stage 3 CAMS, the Taitec Header, Straight Pipe and Exhaust.

I have been very happy with the results.

Sorry folks, didn't realize there were questions on this thread. I'm not the super mechanic, but if you have questions I can translate fairly well and will get them to Mr. Tamura and get you the answers I receive. As for the Japanese side, there are two routes, cheaper one from our website and the more expensive one not listed, using the Infiniti TB. Mr. Tamura uses the top of the line ECU (HKS 400,000 Yen), larger injectors (550 I think), and Infiniti TB. Mr. Yamamoto our mechanic strongly recommends that either route you take, you must have the proper tunning. I have to say the mod does eat up more gas (not Corvette level yet) as I have noticed from our demo but then we don't drive an NSX because of it's mpg...:wink:
DJ

Sorry folks, didn't realize there were questions on this thread. I'm not the super mechanic, but if you have questions I can translate fairly well and will get them to Mr. Tamura and get you the answers I receive. As for the Japanese side, there are two routes, cheaper one from our website and the more expensive one not listed, using the Infiniti TB. Mr. Tamura uses the top of the line ECU (HKS 400,000 Yen), larger injectors (550 I think), and Infiniti TB. Mr. Yamamoto our mechanic strongly recommends that either route you take, you must have the proper tunning. I have to say the mod does eat up more gas (not Corvette level yet) as I have noticed from our demo but then we don't drive an NSX because of it's mpg...:wink:
DJ

Thanks DJ, I was hoping you would get back to us. Does Mr Tamura have a NA1 or Na2?

I have to say the mod does eat up more gas (not Corvette level yet) as I have noticed from our demo but then we don't drive an NSX because of it's mpg...:wink:
DJ

FYI:
From the Chevrolet Web Site.
2007 Corvette
City: 16-18 Hwy: 26-28

From this site:
3.2 NSX Manual is 17/24 (City/Highway)
18/24 for the automatic.

My dear father in Texas reads this and has a 'Vette, it was more of an inside joke, but thank you for the info and I hope I didn't offend any 'Vette owners. I love them, but after totalling a C5 I moved over to more handling focused cars. I truly believe Corvette owners are some of the coolest people on the road. They even have a "patented wave"...:cool: at least in Texas and Hawaii that is...
DJ

Last edited:
Stick E-Rice:

How's the Throttle Body project coming along???
Any updates? Stickyrice?

I got my SOS big bore throtle body installed. I like it, it feels better overall. I am not sure if it in my head but most likely it is. But will post dyno results soon.

Last edited:
yaynsx, is the SOS big bore throttle body a full 5mm bore throughout (the inlet to the outlet) or is is only at the inlet?

Any updates? Stickyrice?

I got my SOS big bore throtle body installed. I like it alot it feels much better overall. I am not sure if it in my head but I will have dyno results soon. But either way the car responses better and revs up a little faster. I'm glad I got it done.

were you able to hear anything different? Is your airbox stock?

sophis yaynsx, is the SOS big bore throttle body a full 5mm bore throughout (the inlet to the outlet) or is is only at the inlet?
I am not sure I can find out.

were you able to hear anything different? Is your airbox stock?

I have the stock box with uni filter and AIS SCOOP. I had my test pipes done the same time so I couldn't tell the difference. But my car sounds great. It sounds deeper and in high speeds it get up there faster. I feel the difference, buts mostly in my head. It feels like a newer car; but my car just had a lot of work done to I changed the fuel pump to high flow,fuel filter, air filter uni, spark plugs, oil change to royal purple synthetics, change oil filter, all fluids topped of, RC'd oem injectors,etc. Not much hp/tq gaines but if you like me can't help to spend money on my nsx why not. My car runs great now I just need to get some light rims and finish my nitrous kit install that Chris/SoS didn't finish.

Last edited:
Yes, it becomes a measurable bottleneck, as does the intake manifold. It's not the end of the world though. Both might rob a CTSC of 5-10HP.

That VH45DE TB is humongous. The standard NSX BBTB should eliminate bottleneck from all but insane turbo setups that would require ITBs anyway.

You are correct. In our testing, a bone stock Comptech Supercharger system on a 2004 gained over 9 hp by the simple installation of our big bore throttle found here:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/big_bore_throttle_body/

You can find the dyno in vendors, and I will have it posted on this link above later today.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Hey Chris, I just reread the info on your page so a "full length taper (not just inlet)" is a 5mm overbore from the inlet to the outlet? Will the intake manifold need to be port matched?

Any news on the Q45 TB transplant?

Cheers,

AR

Back