• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Black Box In our NSX??

For those that are following my progress trying to have my transmission warrantied....

Acura told me today that they have record of when the transmission broke, the date, time, MPH, RPM and some other things! :eek:

I have not seen there "findings" yet but I have to belive that it is bs. is there a Black box in the NSX for dealers to see this kind of information?

For those that are following my progress trying to have my transmission warrantied....

Acura told me today that they have record of when the transmission broke, the date, time, MPH, RPM and some other things! :eek:

I have not seen there "findings" yet but I have to belive that it is bs. is there a Black box in the NSX for dealers to see this kind of information?

haha, that sounds a little improbable... especially if they aren't telling you the data as i have never heard of their being a black box in a nsx

I was told by a NSX mechanic that there are some very high end computer diagnostic systems that plug into your existing car computer and will tell you much, much more than just what CEL code has been thrown. He said it will tell RPM, speed, etc, etc. at the time the code was thrown. I don’t know if this is true or not as I have never been shown proof of it.

No black box in the NSX. Even if there was, it would only record the last 10 seconds before the airbag went off. Definitely BS from the dealer.

OBDII supports lot of this stuff, J1979 would tell you more if you could find it (I couldn't) but then manufacturers can also implement extra stuff. The service manual mentions freeze frame data too. What documentation I could find indicates freeze frames contain:
Engine coolant temp, speed, long/short term fuel consumption, closed/open loop mode, calculated load, +

Absolutely possible and likely, it records the data at the time that the code occured (not for all codes though). Engine (rpm) and vehicle speed (mph). Unless you had it at 9000rpm when it threw the code I don't think you have anything to worry about with this data. :) Based on my experience with my TL-S, it also won't really tell you when it BROKE, but rather when the ECU noticed that it was broke. I'm sure those two things line up occasionally though.

Acura told me today that they have record of when the transmission broke, the date, time, MPH, RPM and some other things!

The only thing that would be plausable by "having a record" is that they looked up your VIN or tranny serial in their system and found something prior, if perhaps your vehicle was purchased second hand and has an existing service history. Personally I agree with Andy. Put the duck waders on before you go back, because all in all that sounds like some dealer BS to me if I've ever heard it- automatic or manual tranny I'd so call them on any claim that such information was obtained from on-board diagnostics.

If they are really insisting this information is coming from their tech doing diagnostics with a reader like many on this thread have infered... and some how are now using it to waddle out of an otherwise legit warranty repair... then simply tell the service manager that you will be over to see them hook up their reader to the ODB port and demonstrate to you this alleged data logging on a simple transmission failure- since your not a complete idiot and know full well what the capabilities and limitations on the NSX transmission, engine ECU, and onboard diagnostic systems really are. Maybe while he is in there he can tell you the last time you changed your tranny fluid too. :rolleyes:

'Black box' is a term used for OEM data loggers as in the newer GM vehicles. The only thing that could even be remotely construed as being similar in anyway to that in the NSX is perhaps the SRS airbag controller mounted just behind the ash tray, and at best it has a few data registers in it to store the accelerometer velocity data in the milliseconds before deployment. There are several other speculative threads on that topic as to what may be obtainable there.

As far as the only other possible target- the engine ECU via the ODB1/2 port, I don't claim to be the expert in this area, but my experience is that as a very general rule, most ODB codes thrown are primarily engine emissions or operations related on Hondas, with the NSX having a relatively rudamentry implementation of the ODB standard- come on, its not all that advanced. I doubt it matters if it is even ODB1 or 2 or even the year... quite likely no matter what they hook up to your port... a claim that the NSX ECU has stored all of that information for a transmission failure of all things- like RPM, speed, or a code for 'when/how the tranny internally broke' sounds like total BS to anyone. A normal manual tranny has speed sensors, and that's about it. Was the check engine light even on when you took it to them? Even without the benefit of a reader and harness you can simply short out your service check connector and get a gist of what codes were stored for yourself, if any, and cross reference the codes with the service manual. So far as I am aware they are looking at the same service guides the rest of us are.

In any event, from the gist of what you are saying to me my reaction is that it seems clear they want you to go away and can't be trusted. Obviously you know what really occured here being the one that broke it... and thus no speculation is really warranted. It sounds like you are already highly suspect of this jive. If you determine this to be a simple case of dealer dishonesty, personally I'd bounce that back right to the regional acura rep for what little it is worth.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they're being honest with you, based on the other thread it sounds like they're trying to be sly, but the OBDII specification is a minimum and 96+ cars are required to conform. Some manufacturers have added functionality, and I'm sure that Honda/Acura is no different but they are notoriously closed lipped about..well..everything.

Anyway, the attachment is from my NSX, I just pulled the code and freeze frame data a moment ago with the engine off. IE that data is from when the car generated the DTC. If you reference your service manual it refers to the freeze frame data for several DTC troubleshooting steps (to help reproduce the conditions).

Attachments

• nsxff.jpg
    nsxff.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 139
I see your point, but ultimately the ECU is limited by data input from the various vehicle sensors. That is how the information gets into there in the first place. Sure, some DTC's record other general parameters like RPM and speed to aid in service diagnosis- like engine mis-fires or faulty O2 or knock sensors. I am not arguing that minor detail. However, that's not relevant to his situation IMO simply because of the fact that he clearly stated it was diagnosed as an internal drive-train failure. I find it hard to believe that any internal drive-train failure, like sheering a gear or losing a syncro, would in and of itself generate a DTC. How could it?

Even if I am missing something in the very latest 03' models... what elusive DTC could they possibly be using to definitively determine customer fault on a 2nd gear internal transmission part failure? Who is to say a long term pre-existing crack in a tooth finally broke, a part sheered no-ones fault, they didn't re-fill it properly with fluid to the right capacity during inspection, or even the owner used it as a personal ride for awhile and knowingly broke and resold it, etc... I feel certain that it couldn't ever be that definitive as 'here is the code for proof you caused it'.

I'd also stress the circumstantial facts.. that it occurred on his way home immediately post-sale speaks volumes to me. That they then quoted him full MSRP for a new tranny plus labor after just buying a car from them under such unfortunate circumstances seals the deal to me. Nine grand... who would quote that in such a dire situation? I can have a new 6 speed to my door for under five and inside the car in half a day. I'd be pissed to.

In short, to me for a dealer to claim that they could definitively determine customer fault on a drive train failure... by pulling a DTC code off the vehicle ECU.. then back out of a warranty claim on a used car they just sold based on that DTC result sounds like total BS no matter what they claim their ODB2 reader says.

Many of us have had our tranny's apart, blown gears, etc... and are well aware of what sensors are on the bell housing and symptoms when this occurs. I would expect to see that argument on a mis-shift on a blown engine where the DTC shows 9300rpm at 115kph, and they could point and say "WTF so tell us what the engine was doing spinning that high?"... not on an internal drive train failure like this.

From what I am reading on the other thread, this is a simple case of a dealer selling a certified used car with an obvious pre-existing problem, and trying to wiggle out of it after the sale. 150pt inspection my arse. Quite likely, that is why it was there for sale in the first place- and much worse IF they knew about it and caught it post trade-in or caught a service mistake when you came back limping... then likely they are doing exactly what they originally planned to and you need to protect yourself. Everything about your two threads tells me this all sounds very suspect to me.

I would again recommend contacting the regional rep, and maybe even just flat bedding it to one of the other Acura dealerships with a positive reputation as Ken mentioned, so they can do their own diagnosis and everything gets documented. They won't have anything in it. Ultimately one way or the other, unless you bought that thing as-is with no warranty it should absolutely be covered in good faith if your case has merit and coverage was valid. Definitely get everything from this point on in writing from the service manager you've worked with thus far and keep your notes so you won't get pushed around later.

Either way, once you have all the facts from them, definitely let us know how it works out.

Last edited:
I agree, they're making a wild claim and trying to "prove" it by confusing the consumer with irrelevant, though true, information. Misdirection, anyone? :)

A couple of Clarifications.

Purchased car from a Private Seller in South Carolina.

Had an Acura Dealer in SC do a full Acura Certification Test on the Car... It passed in every way as if now the car could be certified by Acura. (says this on my bill)

Drove back to Chicago, Transmission Blows Second Gear,,, all other gears work, gets me home and to the dealer for service.

Service writer... "this could be tricky,, but we will get this warrantied for you"

Calls Monday- Yea, the gear is shreaded as well as syncros, it is a clear cut case of driver abuse and your bill to fix it is going to be $8700 to fix it.

I talk to his manager, who kept making sense and then making an ass out of him self, he was clearly not there to help me.

I also contacted the GM at the dealer in South Carolina about the 150 pt inspection.
Dealer in SC says to contact him if there is trouble in Chicago, but his inspection was an external inspection and would not have caught this kind of issue. (makes you really trust Acura Certified Cars)

Call a friend that works in the Auto industry in Chicago, through his network, he gets ahold of information from the Service writer where my NSX is. "the Data log shows that he missed second gear, redlined the engine and ground it down trying to put it in gear...it was clearly a miss shift"

Get Call from Chris at SOS. Says that Acura should warranty this issue. It just does not make since for something to just explode like that after passing an inspection. "IF Acura screws you, we will hook you up the best we can" (seems like a nice guy and is willing to help with all the info he can)

Appointment with Phil, the Regional Manager for Acura on Thursday morning. (fingers crossed)

Joe....

PS: to be continued...

Had an Acura Dealer in SC do a full Acura Certification Test on the Car... It passed in every way as if now the car could be certified by Acura. (says this on my bill)

which one if you don't mind my asking...

A couple of Clarifications.

Purchased car from a Private Seller in South Carolina.

Drove back to Chicago, Transmission Blows Second Gear,,, all other gears work, gets me home and to the dealer for service.

Service writer... "this could be tricky,, but we will get this warrantied for you"

Calls Monday- Yea, the gear is shreaded as well as syncros, it is a clear cut case of driver abuse and your bill to fix it is going to be $8700 to fix it.

I talk to his manager, who kept making sense and then making an ass out of him self, he was clearly not there to help me.

I also contacted the GM at the dealer in South Carolina about the 150 pt inspection.
Dealer in SC says to contact him if there is trouble in Chicago, but his inspection was an external inspection and would not have caught this kind of issue. (makes you really trust Acura Certified Cars)

Call a friend that works in the Auto industry in Chicago, through his network, he gets ahold of information from the Service writer where my NSX is. "the Data log shows that he missed second gear, redlined the engine and ground it down trying to put it in gear...it was clearly a miss shift"

Get Call from Chris at SOS. Says that Acura should warranty this issue. It just does not make since for something to just explode like that after passing an inspection. "IF Acura screws you, we will hook you up the best we can" (seems like a nice guy and is willing to help with all the info he can)

Appointment with Phil, the Regional Manager for Acura on Thursday morning. (fingers crossed)

Joe....

PS: to be continued...

Hmm, I now see some of the core facts are slightly different than what I had gotten out of reading your few posts on your other threads (private seller, multiple dealerships involved, etc..), so the added clarification comes welcome... it still leaves me with many questions.. but I still see the core technical issue as being the same and at the heart of all of this...

Your friend said that the Data log shows that you missed second gear, red-lined the engine and ground it down trying to put it in gear...it was clearly a miss shift..

That doesn't sound like fact to me. That sounds like an interpretation of fact. Otherwise, that is one hell of an informative handheld ODBII reader they have... lol... umm... I'd say definitely get a print out of these logged readings that support that theory. Have they actually even opened the tranny and even inspected it or is that an initial guess too with no actual tear down time yet spent? Who is to say that these guys interpretation is accurate?

I suppose I just can't get past these mystery DTCs.... unless there are some significant technical details I am missing about a later model year 03' NSX ODBII implementation and sensor capabilities... what ECU DTC's could clearly prove such a series of events?? While I acknowledge I may not have full knowledge of all the possible ECU operating features... as I know somethings aren't openly documented in the general database or model-specific spec... I have some healthy experience with my own ODBII and I still can't believe they actually have a series of DTC's logged to point to that cumulatively proves that you some how mis-shifted and ground gears trying to put it back into gear- thus proving customer caused drive-train failure.

None of that passes my sniff test. For one, if you hit redline on the engine on an upshift it would safely bounce off the rev limiter electronically, and no DTC should be recorded. Mis-shifts and resultant engine damage are a concern on mechanical down-shifts when the fuel cut out isn't applicable, and that is where I would normally expect to hear about some DTC's logged as the valve train damage unfolds and notable freeze frame data for speed and RPM.

However, more than anything else, the user action they claim was the cause of the damage- grinding it putting it back into gear- how could an engine ECU ever know that? That is where I break out the BS flag. I've never heard of such a thing. There is no tranny grinding or syncro failing sensor...

Can someone here on prime make that case to me on an NSX? I'm inclined to stop by service tomorrow and page through their books and play myth busters with that claim.

However it goes... I really hope the Acura rep doesn't screw you tomorrow morning. Worst comes to worse personally I'd be documenting absolutely everything, and work to understand your consumer rights in your state... so if you do get an out-of-pocket bill from SOS or whomever inevitably fixes it your lawyer has solid footing to be sending acura services back the repair bill. I think to many small claims judges I've sat in on... it would be about as simple as 'was it under warranty at the time' and 'finding for the plantiff in the amount of'.

My firm belief is that the simplest explanation is usually the most likely, and I trust in the fact that dealerships won't always act in good faith when lots of money is on the table for a customer they don't care about, long before believing that a case can be made that proves you manually ground gears on your tranny, and is ineligible for warranty coverage just days after an Acura certified inspection (glad they thought the paint looked good enough to warranty) ... uggh.. what a mess...

PS

Interesting thread on the TSX/TL forums I just found on a some-what similar situation.. may want to check out Kurt Bradley's insight having worked for Acura Service..

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12848

Last edited:
You fellows might want to direct this situation to Larry Bastanza. He IS the man and will be able to help sort this out. I am wondering if this blown 2nd gear in any way has anything to do with the snap ring. In the range or not.

Cheers
nigel

last I heard the only cars with black boxes are Fords and GM cars. Other just have the typical error codes an OBDII can read

I know my Lambo does record lots of stuff on its onboard compu like top 15 rpm, top speed, outside temp when the engine was started, number of failed starts, number of start relative to the left and right bank (they rarely ever are the same :eek: ), the time on the engine (ie 50 hours of runtime equals 2days 2hours), etc. Lots of cool stuff to look at when buying one.

Acura told me today that they have record of....the date & time,

I sure would be interest to know how they got that data....Something tells me there is not an internal clock built-in and set the day car leaves the factory.

A brand new Lamborghini, sure I could understand that. But a reasonably priced car produced at the turn of 90's. I somehow doubt it.

Back