• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

black friday madness

its fricking 3:35 am and i'm currently in a line of 300+ people at circuit city. good grief!

I skipped best buy because it looked like there were 500+ outside...

....oh the insanity!!!

Me too.
I waited outside Bestbuy last year all night.
I got the wristband to purchase the items that I wanted. Then, I loaded up my cart with those items (32" LCD tv, laptop, and some other crap). As I'm waiting in the line (that went around the store) to check out, I realized that I didn't need all of that crap and emptied out my cart and ended up buying nothing.

Never again will I get caught up in the Black Friday hype.
F' that.

scorp965 said:
Don't worry, I am sure they have 12 of the item you're after ;)

Actually they had a good number of the "door buster" items. Even though I was probably 200th in line I still was able to get a good number of "vouchers" for purchase of these things. Some rather unsavory looking individuals were "selling" their vouchers for the really hot ticket items... cheap laptops, desktops, cameras :rolleyes:

I got the Mio GPS unit that I was after and several other things.

Last year I was able to round 4-5 different stores and timed them all to be just before or at opening. In the end I bought a mountain of useless junk at some really fantastic prices (mostly free). :tongue: This year Circuit City really set me behind (over 1 hour in the checkout lane) so missed out at most of the other stores. Alas no more crap to add to my heap... :mad:

No thanks, I will stay home and relax. BTW if you are in line are you posting/veiwing the web on a cell phone? If so which one?

steveny said:
No thanks, I will stay home and relax. BTW if you are in line are you posting/veiwing the web on a cell phone? If so which one?

I'm home now but I was posting/surfing on my Dell Axim via a bluetooth connection to my cell. I had 2 hours to wait so I had to find something to do!!!

My wireless service is through Sprint and I'm on the PowerVision high speed data plan. Other than the scaled down screen size on my PDA surfing the 'net works quite well this way.

I agree Steve! I went over to Best Buy at 6:45am today and couldn't believe the madness. The lines were ridiculous, and all of the door buster items were gone. Furthermore, most of them were crappy items to begin with so I don't know why people started lining up at 4:00pm yesterday. I came back home 5 minutes later and got back into bed.

If anyone is still looking for a great plasma tv, Best Buy has the Panasonic 42" HDTV for $999.99 on their web site. I paid $1,700 for it two months ago.

DocL said:
<snip> If anyone is still looking for a great plasma tv, Best Buy has the Panasonic 42" HDTV for $999.99 on their web site. I paid $1,700 for it two months ago.
ouch, that's gotta hurt! (like catching a falling knife) there are some toys i'd like to have but will wait another 6+ months or so... no burning rush on my part.

DocL said:
I agree Steve! I went over to Best Buy at 6:45am today and couldn't believe the madness. The lines were ridiculous, and all of the door buster items were gone. Furthermore, most of them were crappy items to begin with so I don't know why people started lining up at 4:00pm yesterday. I came back home 5 minutes later and got back into bed.

If anyone is still looking for a great plasma tv, Best Buy has the Panasonic 42" HDTV for $999.99 on their web site. I paid $1,700 for it two months ago.

At least you had the TV when you wanted it. If you wait for something to be at it lowest price you usually don't want it by then or it is junk, if used.

I value my sleep more that anything. I hardly EVER get up before 9am. If someone came to me while I was sleeping and told me my house was on fire I would ask them to return when the bed was on fire and wake me up then. I HATE getting up and getting out of bed. 9:54 right now and I am still in bed. :biggrin:

steveny said:
At least you had the TV when you wanted it. If you wait for something to be at it lowest price you usually don't want it by then or it is junk, if used...

That's exaclty why I don't give a crap about these special sale days. I was up early to walk my dog, so that's why I took a quick ride to Best Buy just to see what was going on.

When I buy a tv, or anything for that matter, I expect the price to go down within 60 days of my purchase. If I keep waiting for prices to drop, I'll never get a chance to buy something when I want it. When I'm on my deathbed, I'm sure I won't have any regrets with any of the purchases that I made during my lifetime. :biggrin:

The black friday madness is in the same league as people who scram to the grocery store to stock up on a months supply of food when the forecast is for 3-6 inches of snow. :confused:

I never understand this either...my opinion is the money you "saved" cannot compared to the money you spent on this day.

People have to really sperate the items they need and want.

djdrock said:
The black friday madness is in the same league as people who scram to the grocery store to stock up on a months supply of food when the forecast is for 3-6 inches of snow. :confused:

hmmmm....don't know what you're talking about. :confused: :biggrin: :wink:

djdrock said:

I do this year round at BJ wholesale. I like to buy in bulk as it cuts the time down that I have to spend in a grocery store.

Ski_Banker said:
What's Black Friday??? I didn't know we had so many women on Prime these days! :biggrin:

:biggrin:

steveny said:
I do this year round at BJ wholesale. I like to buy in bulk as it cuts the time down that I have to spend in a grocery store.

It's great having a one gallon container of mayo and ten pounds of tuna in the pantry for those snowy days. :biggrin:

Motegi said:

I got the Mio GPS unit that I was after and several other things.

Last year I was able to round 4-5 different stores and timed them all to be just before or at opening. In the end I bought a mountain of useless junk at some really fantastic prices (mostly free). :tongue: This year Circuit City really set me behind (over 1 hour in the checkout lane) so missed out at most of the other stores. Alas no more crap to add to my heap... :mad:
The Mio C310x is a sweet GPS for only $150.

My bro went to Staples at 6am and snagged the same thing for $150 out the door with no rebates.

Sometimes the key is to know where to shop, rather than when to shop. He didn't wait in line at all. :wink:

Why doesn't SoS and some Acura dealers do this? Superchargers for $2000. Clutch jobs and timing belt job vouchers for $500. Tubi Exhausts for $400.

I might stand in line for that. :biggrin:

Back