• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Black soot all over back quarter panels and rear clip

After 4 years of sitting on a shelf in my garage, I finally got around to swapping out the OEM exhaust manifolds and cats in favour of a set of DC sport headers w/ cat delete. Headers hook up to a Tubi that I have run for the last few years. I had no appreciation of how loud this recipe would be. Wow. Jury still out on whether or not it's palletable. That aside, I am seeing a host of black soot on the rear quarters and rear clip. Clearly exhaust. As part of the install, I had to lengthen the leads for the O2 sensors to meet the new bung location on the headers. I have no CEL showing, but have not run a scan to see if the O2 sensors were/are working correctly. When they were removed from the OEM manifolds, they looked nice and clean without carbon build-up. Just like a clean set of plugs. The car ran fine, performed strong, and never smelled rich. Now it still performs as well as I can ever tell, but clearly is running rich (smell and visual soot). 'Could' a cat delete cause it to run richer then OEM set-up? Could the extended lead on the O2 somehow unknowing cause this? Is that a casulalty of swapping the restrictive manifolds and cat delete in lieu of aftermarket headers? I would appreciate wisdom from those that have done the swap prior to automagically swapping out O2 sensors that appeared to be working just fine prior to having their leads extended.

Thx

You have too much toe in on the rear.
That black soot is tire dust.
Believe me.
I am speaking from experience.
A wheel alignment will fix it and your tires will last longer

Nope. It's not the tire alignment. That didn't change. The smell of a rich exhaust is significant to the point it's hard on the eyes when idling at lights.

I did headers and exhaust a year ago but kept the cats.
My O2 sensors were impossible to remove so they were replaced with SoS units with the longer leads.
The install has been trouble free.

It does sound like your rich condition is from faulty O2 sensors but with no CEL it's a puzzle.
Did you splice the O2 sensor leads to lengthen them?

I did headers and exhaust a year ago but kept the cats.
My O2 sensors were impossible to remove so they were replaced with SoS units with the longer leads.
The install has been trouble free.

It does sound like your rich condition is from faulty O2 sensors but with no CEL it's a puzzle.
Did you splice the O2 sensor leads to lengthen them?
Yes. Spliced and checked with an ohm meter to ensure no problems with resistance of each line of the lead.

Were the O2 sensors exposed to penetrating fluid when you removed them? If you accidentally contaminated the sensor tips, then yes, they could be reading incorrectly now.

When I removed my '92 OEM manifolds, I didn't want to bother with the old O2 sensors and just bought new aftermarket Denso ones from sparkplugs.com for around $100 shipped. Figured it was worth it from the time and frustration saved trying to remove the old ones, and the fact that mine were 20YO and had 100k miles on them. I lengthened the leads myself and had no problems.

On a separate but maybe related issue, I also made a custom exhaust system with an electrical cutout that could bypass my aftermarket cats and muffler for the least restriction. Bypassing the cats made it hard on my eyes and the stench was terrible too in the cabin and of course behind the car. I can always tell when a car drives by with a cat delete. I guess some people are more sensitive to it than others. Bypassing the cats also increased the amount of dark soot on the rear bumper too. I dyno'd my car with the OEM ECU and the Denso O2 sensors but bypassing the cats, and my AFR's were right at 14.7 according to the dyno tailpipe sniffer (however accurate that particular shops was).

Dave

Problem(s) solved. I do so love auto forums. Wealth of knowledge.
Thx

You have too much toe in on the rear.
That black soot is tire dust.
Believe me.
I am speaking from experience.
A wheel alignment will fix it and your tires will last longer

Interesting, I always thought it was brake dust. Guess I need an alignment (though I'm getting new rotors and pads as well just to be safe!)

Deleting cats will almost always cause a nominal amount of soot on the rear bumper and tips of the tailpipes. That's what cats do, they burn off any small amounts unburned fuel and keep it all clean. I've ran with and without cats several times and yes, without I accumulate soot. Got tired of waxing and cleaning weekly so went with HF cats. Problem solved. Of course this may not be your problem, but it was surely mine.

Cats & toe-in on alignment both.

Back