• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Blood Mountain Trip

December 28th a buddy and I took my new NSX-T up to the mountains for the first time. God was it ever fun. I think I'm going to have to make at least bi-monthly trips up for a while. We did GA 60 to GA 180/Wolf Pen Gap Rd, wound all the way over almost to Helen and then turned around and headed back. Sheer joy.

nsx_mountains.jpg

Last edited:
Great adventure - would have liked to have done that trip in my old NSX - did it in my old 993 and it is a great drive if the road is clear. It was the day I went and driving it in the winter is the best cause you can see through the trees around the next curve and use the road. It is a blast to drive that road - wish I had something that would be fun to drive on that road but my 635 CSI just isn't it but it would do ok I suppose.

That is a beautiful area and as tbromley pointed out, winter is one of the best times to drive it because of reduced traffic + increased visibility. I remember that route as being debris/snow free through almost all of the winter. Thanks for sharing!

tbromley/FF Drifter: I hadn't even thought about how much the seasonal aspect/seeing through the trees contributed. Good point. Can't wait til March when it warms just a bit and taking the top off is *really* comfortable. ;)

JCoolman: You guys are so welcoming. I'm not going to be able to attend Saturday's meetup but I look forward to meeting some of you in person soon.

Last edited:
Just went up for the third time in a month. I'm all about Wolf Pen Gap Rd + 180, then down Gainesville Hwy myself. Will make sure to check Richard Russell next time I go up. :)

+1 for Richard Russell Coming to/from Hwy 180 from/to Hwy 75 Alt... It is a beautiful drive with fast sweeping turns and less traffic than Hwy 129. Occasionally there will be a State Patrol on there because Blue Ridge has a barrack and that is an optional way to and from Helen.

Also check out Hwy 60 from Dahlonega to Morganton. It has a lot of slower tighter turns. If something goes wrong in these turns it's not necessarily going to be tragic. :eek:

Back