• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX road trip: 2 days, 1,672 miles, and still smiling. This car is AWESOME!!

So this week I had intended to pick up an additional NSX, and drove down south from my home in central Indiana to check out the car in person rather than fly. Why? Because I am glutton for punishment? No...I drove because even after 17 years behind the wheel of an NSX, and 10 years and counting behind the wheel of this exact NSX, I am still in love with this car. I drive my NSX daily in all sorts of weather, and still smile every day when I see it there waiting for me. Plus, when you fly, you miss all of the cool side roads, adventures, and beautiful scenery, that only a proper road trip an provide.

So I set out with just over 179,900 miles and some change on the odometer, a full tank of fuel, and a fresh wash and vac on my baby. Additionally, I went into my 'parts inventory' and grabbed some extra parts like a new main relay, oil, an OEM oil filter, a set of tools, and some other random stuff, in case I needed them. Better to have these things with you, than not have them. Especially when driving during 'non-business hours'. Being around 6 feet tall, I set the seat on a bit of a recline so I was comfy, and hit the open road!

The NSX is a funny beast. I swear that its 'happy place' is cruising down an open highway at 90 mph - 100 mph. The car just seems to settle in and feel 'right' at that speed. I cannot describe it. But I am certain that, left to its own devices, that is where the NSX would stay all day if I let it. Even with my car lowered, I am still amazed at how comfortable this car is for long trips like this.

So, I am minding my own business, zipping right along and somewhere outside of Middle Of Nowhere, Kentucky I happen upon a really nice white Nissan 370Z Nismo Edition. Beautiful car, and so as I pass slowly I am looking at the car. The guy driving the car evidently is part of the, 'I am WAY too cool to smile or look happy' family of motorists, and ignores my thumbs up to his car. About 10 minutes later he goes FLYING past me like I am not even moving, then slows down so that I pass him, and he does it again. I am thinking, 'What the heck is wrong with this guy,' when he promptly flips me the bird, cuts across 4 lanes of traffic, tailgates another car, and exits the highway. I guess it is going to be one of those trips. :)

Miles pass, people point and stare at the car, and then I pull in to a fuel station late at night and stretch my legs, refuel the baby, and take in all that is the road trip experience. Having driven A LOT of miles, all over the country, I am always amazed by the concept of the gas station that sells fireworks. It is like giving a loaded gun to a 10 time felon and waiting to see what happens. Kind of like a common sense free zone.

DSC_2468.jpg

Well, I fill up, ponder the folly of what I am seeing, and pay little attention to the rednecks that are loitering outside of the station. Well, I go in to look for the biggest pony keg of Red Bull I can find, and observe yet another of life's humorous events. Watching an idiot in action. The rednecks outside I had noticed sipping beer, leaning on their cars, smoking (AT A GAS STATION!!), and generally cussing and speaking loudly about topics they knew little about, but had strong opinions on. In the meantime, one of their buddies had staggered into the fuel station, grabbed an armload of Natural Light (a.k.a. -- ''Natty Light") tall boys from the fridge, and went up front to sway and fake sobriety in line. Having to see how this went down, I let him in front of me just to see what would happen. Would this cashier really sell a drunk guy an armload more of beer? He goes to the counter, bumps into the beef jerky sticks, and says, "Y'all are out of this here beer. I'm gunna need about half dozen more from in back for the drive home," and without hesitation he is given an extra HALF DOZEN of these TALL cans of beer to go with the arm load he already had, and however many he drank in the parking lot. Needless to say, I quickly left the gas station in order to make sure I was nowhere near this clown when he finally hit the roadways.

Eventually I became very tired and found a Quality Inn somewhere in one of the Carolinas a little after midnight. Happily I was not tired from the NSX, I was tired for the sake of having been awake for almost 2 days straight due to a 2 year old daughter that finds sleeping optional from time to time. :)

The next day I get up at the crack of dawn (actually, prior to it), and by 4:30 a.m. I am back on the road. About an hour into the drive I immediately notice that I should have slept more than the 3 hours I was able to, and pull in to a rest stop in South Carolina in order to 'power nap' for 20 - 30 minutes. The NSX actually make a pretty comfy place to sleep if you move everything around properly, and have a sweatshirt or something to make into a pillow. After a quick nap I went in to use the rest room and came back out, and once again, noticed that the NSX is a really beautiful car. With the soft light of the parking lot shining down, I could not help by stand back and stare for a while and think how lucky I really am to have this car.

DSC_2475.jpg

DSC_2476.jpg

Back on the road, and driving through tunnels, curvy mountain roads, and switchback, connected by open highways, reminded me that at one time there was a force within Honda that cared about driving and drivers. Those people made this car. Those people understood passion. Those people knew that if they set their mind to it, they could build the ultimate daily driver capable exotic car. Those people made my NSX. Sadly, those people appear to no longer be at Honda, because what they build now has none of the enjoyment that my 17 year old NSX has.

I arrived at my destination, inspected the vehicle, and completed my business there, and then turned around to come home that same day. Let me say that the southern states have some great history, architecture, and amazing weather, and some things you can only see when driving. For instance, a pair of large elephant statues next to the side of the road. HAHAH!! Awesome!! :)

DSC_2479.jpg

DSC_2481.jpg

Many other odd adventures happened during the trip, one of which was during a stop at an Acura dealer to get an oil change (I noticed the car was a bit low, and figured I may as well get it changed). I had called ahead, made the appointment, and pulled in to get the work done. I had forgotten to ask how much the oil change was until I got there. He is how this went:

Me: 'Hello. I have an appointment for an oil change, but I forgot to ask how much you charge.'

Service Drone: 'Umm, usually $29.95'

Me: 'Cool. Thanks. Let's go ahead then.'

Service Drone: 'Weeeelllll, I don't know about these cars though.'

(Here we go!!)

Me: 'Okay...well, they take about 5.5 quarts, and can use the same filter as an Acura Legend, so I don't see why it would be much different.'

Service Drone: 'Hey...I don't know...I just work here.'

Me: 'Right. But you are the Assistant Service Manager, right?'

Service Drone: 'Yeah....but....hold on....(calls over Service Manager).'

Service Manager: 'Yeah, what's up?'

Service Drone: 'How much do we charge for these NSXs.'

Service Manager: 'Well....we only have about 3 or 4 that we see....'

Me: 'Look, he said you charge $29.95 for an oil change. This car takes the same filter as a Legend, and 5.5 quarts of oils, so I do not see how or why it would be much different.'

Service Manager: 'Yeah....well, not synthetic oil, right?'

Me: 'Nope. Just normal.'

Service Manager: 'Okay...it will be about $90.'

Me: 'WHAT?!?!?'

Service Manager: 'Yep....$90.'

Me: 'No way in hell am I paying $90 for a non-synthetic oil change for no good reason. This is no different than a Legend.'

Service Manager: 'Well, we charge $45 for the Legend.'

Me: 'Fine. I don't know why, but I will pay $45. But not $90.'

Service Manager: 'But an NSX is $90.'

Me: 'Explain to me WHY it is? Because this is probably WHY you do not see these. There is no good reason why you are charging TWICE what you charge for a Legend and THREE TIMES what you charge for any other Acura that comes in here.'

Service Manager: 'Well, there is additional labor.'

Me: 'Where? I have changed this oil and filter myself in the garage in 15 minutes, WITHOUT a lift.'

Service Manager: 'Well, we charge 2/10th for a Legend and 3/10th for an NSX, so there is more labor.'

Me: 'So that 1/10th DOUBLES the cost?'

Service Manager: (silence)

Me: 'Look, I know you get a lot of dumb people in here, but I am not one of them. I will pay the $45, but there is no way in the world I am paying DOUBLE when there is no good reason. I will just take my car and leave.'

Service Manager: 'Well....let me see something....(retreats to back room for 5 minutes and comes back).....okay, I can get it done for $45 - $47.'

Me: 'Fine. Thank you. Go ahead.'

At this point I sign my papers and go into the waiting room, only to come back out when the TWO TECHS they put on my car for an oil change could not find the ENGINE of the car. LOL!! Wow....these guys works at an Acura dealer?

Anyway, I made my way home, drove through some more mountains and tunnels, had about 6 more people try to race me for no apparent reason, and arrived home safe and sound.

Why did I type this out? Because I want the people reading it to appreciate their cars, and know they are capable of doing long trips. My car has a ton of mileage, from trips all over the country, and has been amazing. Even with an odometer that is quickly closing in on 200,000 miles, I would not hesitate to take this car across country today if I had the need to. Honda really built us an amazing car. Two people along my route stopped me and asked when Honda came out with a new sports car because they thought my 1994 NSX was a brand new 2012 model. This car really is special. It is comfortable, quick, handles curves with aplomb, and puts a smile on my face every day. So get out and drive. Because even after a virtual Iron Man trip like this, I still feel great, and would do it all over again tomorrow. :)

DSC_2499.jpg

I drove 1,672 miles in 2 days, and love this car even more than when I got it 10 years ago.

Odometer reading when back in the driveway at the end: 181,583 miles

Last edited:
that I prefer not to talk about.

Not fair - thats why we are here! :biggrin:

Great story - I love the fact that mot people think our cars are new. You wouldn't believe the looks Iget sometimes when I tell them my car was built 21 years ago!

Service Manager: 'Well, we charge 2/10th for a Legend and 3/10th for an NSX, so there is more labor.'

Me: 'So that 1/10th DOUBLES the cost?'

Service Manager: (silence)

Me: 'Look, I know you get a lot of dumb people in here, but I am not one of them. I will pay the $45, but there is no way in the world I am paying DOUBLE when there is no good reason. I will just take my car and leave.'

I applaud your travels and story, but this is the point where I would've walked out of the dealer and told them to kiss my ass.

Service Manager: 'Well....let me see something....(retreats to back room for 5 minutes and comes back).....okay, I can get it done for $45 - $47.'

Me: 'Fine. Thank you. Go ahead.'

At this point I sign my papers and go into the waiting room, only to come back out when the TWO TECHS they put on my car for an oil change could not find the ENGINE of the car. LOL!! Wow....these guys works at an Acura dealer?

This is EXACTLY why I would've left. Even if I made it this far, as soon as they said "where is the engine", would've been another queue to leave. I can't believe you trust them to fill it up correctly, use the correct oil, not crossthread the oil filter, etc.

Great story. Sorry to hear it was a wild goose chase. I feel the same way every day I get in and start up my 1993 NSX.

As for the oil change, you wonder why some SERVICE departments are sitll in business after that type of customer dis-satisfaction.

Great, great read!! I truly enjoyed your post as I, (and I'm sure many others have), experienced fun road trips in the NSX.
Beautiful car!

Cheers :smile:

Stories like this make me want one as a daily driver

In a perfect world, I would have the one I have now, a super high mileage one (for my quest to a Million Mile NSX), and an ultra low mileage example for me to appreciate and preserve. But two out of the three of those could be daily drivers. :)

Enjoyed reading that a lot. Thanks for posting your story. I hope I have a similar one when I finally pick up my NSX. Uh....minus your oil change issue at the dealership.

I've got a feeling I know what part of Kentucky you were in. And I think I know that Fireworks spot as well! lol

a co worker also saw a white nsx on i-75 and he thought it was me...I bet it was you...

I've got a feeling I know what part of Kentucky you were in. And I think I know that Fireworks spot as well! lol

a co worker also saw a white nsx on i-75 and he thought it was me...I bet it was you...

That had to be me. I doubt there were many Grand Prix White NSXs running up and down I-75 on that day. :)

I applaud your travels and story, but this is the point where I would've walked out of the dealer and told them to kiss my ass.

This is EXACTLY why I would've left. Even if I made it this far, as soon as they said "where is the engine", would've been another queue to leave. I can't believe you trust them to fill it up correctly, use the correct oil, not crossthread the oil filter, etc.

Oh...and they also looked at the car and asked me if I needed my tires rotated. When I said, 'Sure...if you can tell me how you are going to rotate tires front to back with offset sizing,' they said, 'So....I guess we are not rotating them,' and I said, 'Probably not'. :biggrin:

Oh...and they also looked at the car and asked me if I needed my tires rotated. When I said, 'Sure...if you can tell me how you are going to rotate tires front to back with offset sizing,' they said, 'So....I guess we are not rotating them,' and I said, 'Probably not'. :biggrin:

didn't they have a tire stretcher for that :biggrin:?

Great story!
I don't know if anyone has hit 1 million miles with their NSX yet but i would sure love to see that, especially if it still runs after that then some more!!! Maybe honda will put it up in a museum, that would be AWESOME!

As for the oil change i would have done that before i leave for the trip, imo.
Last time i let the dealer touch my car they left a scratch...arrggh those people!... that was the last time anyone touch my dream car...

great story....I too know what it's like to have to take the NSX to an Acura dealer

Never again

Back