• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Blown Head Gasket

Final report.

Ended up having some scoring on 3 of the cylinders, stripped rear bolts.
Full engine rebuilt and repair needed.

Merry Christmas...I'm sorry...

I'm not understanding how this could have happened on a stock motor that wasn't abused? Did someone do engine work on it in the past or not?

Mine had a totally standard CTSC on it, no funny business, and popped.

I'm not understanding how this could have happened on a stock motor that wasn't abused? Did someone do engine work on it in the past or not?

Doesn't really matter anymore...what's done is done and tired of losing sleep over it.
Time to just fix it and move on.

something that is commonly overlooked is the Radiator Cap
usually these are 1.1 atmospheres (16 lbs)
for every pound of pressure the radiator cap is able to maintain on the cooling system, it raises the boiling point of the coolant by 2 degrees.
So a 15 or 16 lbs cap ( 1.1 ), will raise the boiling point of a coolant 30 degrees
so if this fails, coolant with boil 30 degrees sooner.
Replace every 3 years.

something that is commonly overlooked is the Radiator Cap

A coolant cap is leading candidate for cause of my own troubles. Here are results testing three different caps:

Original OEM (potential cause): Released pressure too low (at 14psi instead of 16) but held steady-state fine.
New OEM: Released pressure correctly (at 16psi) but had a slow (audible even) leak until it got down to and held steady at 11psi.
Aftermarket: Released pressure correctly (at 16psi) and then held steady-state fine.

Not sure if I should trust the longevity of the aftermarket cap or get a good new OEM. Aftermarket does have a handy service lever for releasing pressure (eliminates risk of geyser from opening cap when system is under pressure). Either way I will make testing the cap a regular occurrence (and after receiving a bad new OEM cap, I will always test new ones before putting them into service).

Such bad news :(. On the glass half full perspective, you have options ! IMO once you've driven a tuned turbo, its turbo and dont look back.

I believe Angus has 40+ turbos installed (dont know how many nowadays). While thats a far cry from hundreds, its a start. And i've seen several turbocharged NSXs in my stay in Japan.

I'm hoping my NSX will be turbo #7 japanese sportscar myself

So got car back......everything going great, was easy on it for the first 500 miles........

Here's the fun part....going for recommended oil change after 500 miles......had 668 miles...MAJOR KNOCKING IN ENGINE......FML

thank you 2 year warranty

So sorry to hear this Roger. Wonder if it is related or just a terrible coincidence?

We'll they rebuilt the whole engine, with new everything......gotta be related, his else wouldn't it be

Sorry to hear that, hope you get it sorted out soon!

Wow, that is just messed up. Very interested to hear what caused this. Hopefully you get it taken care of correctly and fast. Please keep us posted.

UPDATE.....being told low oil caused the loss of compression.....per instruction I've checked oil every time I took her out......sounds like they are trying to put blame back on me to void the warranty...thoughts?

UPDATE.....being told low oil caused the loss of compression.....per instruction I've checked oil every time I took her out......sounds like they are trying to put blame back on me to void the warranty...thoughts?

Did the oil light ever flash, blink, or stay on for any period of time?

This should go down in history as one of the worst Nsx ownership experiences, ever. Very rare occurrence at that. Good luck with your car bro, hang in there I'm sure you'll get it sorted out

Back