• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BMW confirms: Zanardi to make F1 return

Former Formula 1 driver Alessandro Zanardi will return in a Formula 1 car next month. Zanardi will be driving the BMW Formula 1 car at Valencia during the Formula BMW World Finals in Valencia from 24 to 26 November.

By driving for the BMW Sauber F1 team, Zanardi will enter motor racing's history books once more: He will be the first person who has had his legs amputated to test an F1 machine. In 2001, he lost both his legs in a terrible accident at the German Lausitzring. As a BMW Team Italy-Spain driver, he celebrated an impressive comeback racing touring cars and won two rounds of the FIA WTCC to date.

Zanardi was happy to receive the opportunity to test the BMW F1 car. "First of all I would like to say thank you to BMW for this opportunity. That's just amazing for me. Of course, I know that I won't get a contract with the Formula One team. However, having the chance to drive an F1 racer again is just incredible."

"Formula One is all about development speed. Therefore, I'm really excited to see what has changed since my last Grand prix in 1999."

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=134352

Wow...given Zanardi's connection to NSXs and the inspiring comeback after his accident, I would have expected more comments by now. Strange. :confused:

Definitely worthy of a standing ovation! A person doing what he loves after enduring so much is a true champion and hero! Someone sign him up and sponsor him because his heart has already crossed the finish line well before the race even begun.

Wheelman said:
Definitely worthy of a standing ovation! A person doing what he loves after enduring so much is a true champion and hero! Someone sign him up and sponsor him because his heart has already crossed the finish line well before the race even begun.
well said. Dedication is what wins races despite circumstances.

He is a test driver but bmw needs all the help they can get in F1.. I'm not sure if F1 will allow the mods he needs to actually race.

PIck up a copy of his book. Very inspirational.

Alex Zanardi: "My Sweetest Victory : A Memoir of Racing Success, Adversity, and Courage"

Alex Zanardi Makes Heroic Return to F1
Fri Nov 24, 4:13 PM

VALENCIA, Spain - Alex Zanardi isn't worried so much about the physical challenge of driving a Formula One car for the first time since losing both legs. It's the mental part he's concerned about.

"For sure my instinct is going to try and push me further over that sensible limit that common sense would suggest, but we'll see," Zanardi said Friday. "I'm not a rookie, I've learned to deal with these emotions throughout my career."

The 40-year-old Italian will test drive BMW-Sauber's C24-B car Saturday at Valencia's Cheste circuit. He took four practice laps in the car Thursday.

Zanardi, who last drove an F1 car in 1999, lost his legs in a racing crash in September 2001 in the CART series, now known as the Champ Car World Series.

The brake pedal has been moved from left to right to accommodate Zanardi's stronger limb, from which he can apply more pressure. A Velcro strap will keep his prosthetic limb from slipping off the brake.

"We're really curious to see how he handles the brakes, because they need a lot of power," BMW-Sauber team manager Beat Zehnder said. "It was a good challenge for the team."

Zinardi was forced to change his shoe size to be able to get his prosthetic feet in - normally a size 9, he downsized to a size 4 1/2.

He also borrowed former BMW-Sauber driver Jacques Villeneuve's steering wheel, which features the throttle on one side. This allows him to use his left hand to upshift and downshift while his right handles turns.

"I don't have space and I'm basically turning with just one hand. In the corners I cannot keep both hands on the steering wheel and power the car, and when I turn on the right side, the steering wheel hits my leg," Zanardi said.

The test drive preparation has been three years' in the making.

"To put someone in who has particular needs like myself ... it was very important to make sure the installation was right and everything would work," Zanardi said.

Zanardi lost his legs in a horrific crash on Sept. 15, 2001, in Klettwitz, Germany, at the American Memorial 500.

"I remember the pit stop - changing tires, pulling away and thinking, 'I've done it, I've won the race.' But I didn't win anything," Zanardi said.

He exited the pit lane in the lead with 12 laps to go before losing control of his car as it swerved into the path of Alex Tagliani.

Tagliani plowed into Zanardi at about 200 mph (320 kph), cutting the Italian's car in half, spraying debris across the track, and sending Zanardi to the hospital and into a one-week coma.

"I remember fighting the car on that little portion of grass before the impact. And I have vague memories of people screaming around me. Then, waking up one week later."

"It was a good day (waking up) - I realized I was alive," Zanardi said.

In 41 career F1 races, Zanardi's best finish was sixth for Lotus at the Brazilian GP in 1993.

He holds the modern CART record for points in a season, with 285 in 1998. He also holds the CART record for most consecutive poles (six), front row starts (11) and top-three finishes in a season (15).

Though he has won twice on the WTCC Tour, satisfaction won't come without a championship next year. Zanardi also wants to race in the Daytona 24-Hour.

Meanwhile, he's optimistic about the weekend ahead.

"When you go out with a girl for the first date, you don't know if you're going to marry her," Zanardi said. "I don't know if it's going to work, but it'll be a great first date."

Amputee Zanardi Completes F1 Return
Sat Nov 25, 3:13 PM

VALENCIA, Spain - Alex Zanardi, who lost both legs in a crash five years ago, completed his return to Formula One on Saturday by becoming the first double amputee to test drive an F1 car. The 40-year-old Italian drove 14 laps in a modified BMW-Sauber C24-B car at the Cheste circuit.

"It's fantastic," Zanardi said. "When I dropped my visor, the emotions were very heavy. It was pure pleasure being back in a fantastic race car.

"I do understand this is about much more than just driving a race car. To put a guy with no legs in an F1 car is something very special."

Zanardi, who last drove an F1 car in 1999, lost his legs in a racing crash in September 2001 in the CART series, now known as the Champ Car World Series.

His smiling eyes were matched by the grin on his face when he drove into the garage. He was helped out of the car and immediately embraced by BMW Motorsports director Mario Theissen.

"It's a wonderful day, I'm very happy that we were able to make this happen," Theissen said.

The former Williams, Minardi, Jordan and Lotus driver improved with each lap, dropping his time on the 2.5-mile circuit from 1 minute, 27.2 seconds to 1:21.6.

"We gotta go under 1:20," he told the pit crew upon hearing his final lap-time.

As the weather and his tires became warmer, Zanardi managed it in his second session - just.

He brought his time down to 1:19.9 on his fifth, and final, lap of the afternoon.

"I told you I would show you how fast your car can go," Zanardi said to Theissen. "The guys in the shop did an unbelievable job. I'm sure 90 percent of people watching can't believe we didn't do a test previously."

Zanardi praised the work of his crew after only three prior meetings and four test laps on Thursday.

"Everything was absolutely working to the best - like a Swiss watch," he said. "I'm a little disappointed I can't push it as hard as I like because I'm not conformable sitting in the car."

Zanardi said the main problem had been using only his right hand to steer through corners, as his left operated the throttle.

"The steering wheel is practically on my lap, which is why I can't push as much as I would like to," he said.

Though Zanardi had an unspectacular F1 career, he holds the modern CART record for points in a season - 285 in 1998. He also holds the CART record for most consecutive poles (six), front-row starts (11) and top-three finishes in a season (15).

For his wife Daniella, it was just another day at the track.

"Yeah, this is OK," she said. "This is normal for me."

Re: AZ has style.

It's been said recently that F-1 needs more personality and style; guys like Montoya, Jacques (and Schumi too) had it but are gone. Guys like Kimi, while being good in the car, are not all that good for the sports "image" that is so vital outside the car. AZ was (still is) an interesting and engaging personality who is a good role model. I wonder if Bernie is telling team managers to look for that quality in upcoming drivers as much as raw driving talent.

Back