• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Broke my driveshaft

Was at the drag strip yesterday, when I shifted from 1st to 2nd the car wouldn't go. Stopped and checked and sure enough, I broke my driver's side half shaft.

Done a ton of searching and nobody seems to sell an aftermarket one that's beefier to prevent this from happening.
My car is currently 642whp and 473wtq, but I'm upgrading the turbo soon so will be 75-+whp and 550+wtq later this year, so I want to find something that won't break again.
THanks.

i have been in contact with thedriveshaftshop and they say that high power nsx axles are coming soon!price is not too bad either!(i think they said like $1k per pair)

i have been in contact with thedriveshaftshop and they say that high power nsx axles are coming soon!price is not too bad either!(i think they said like $1k per pair)

Yeah, I contacted them before I put up this post. He said at least 10 weeks out (maybe more as it's racing season). I found some OEM ones on Son's Acura for $744 each side, anyone seen better pricing?

I want new axles just incase I snap mine with a stock engine LOL

that sucks man but you push those numbers you know your gonna have to pay to play

Call Gator Racing Axles, he does custom setups and it isn't going to carry an NSX tax due to the half shafts being nearly the same as all other Hondas.

Kaz, one of the engineers who designed the NSX, recently mentioned something about driveshafts over on the NSX Club of Britain's website that may be relevant:

"There are many design limit spec when developing a new car at any car manufactures and NSX was the same. For example, you mentioned the driveshaft and if you change the spec, layout, material, etc, you need to consider the changes in the reverse torque. Under the extreme condition, you want the driveshaft to break and not the internal gbox parts such as the gear teeth, etc."

see here: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?12023-NSX-engine-into-a-different-car&p=107796#post107796

Maybe it's good that your driveshaft broke and not something more expensive.

Kaz, one of the engineers who designed the NSX, recently mentioned something about driveshafts over on the NSX Club of Britain's website that may be relevant:

"There are many design limit spec when developing a new car at any car manufactures and NSX was the same. For example, you mentioned the driveshaft and if you change the spec, layout, material, etc, you need to consider the changes in the reverse torque. Under the extreme condition, you want the driveshaft to break and not the internal gbox parts such as the gear teeth, etc."

see here: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?12023-NSX-engine-into-a-different-car&p=107796#post107796

Maybe it's good that your driveshaft broke and not something more expensive.
Wow, incredible dose of reality right there. Thanks for sharing and my small brain agrees to the logic.

I'm reminded of Jim (user Coz here on prime). He found a way to stop breaking driveshafts by venting them. Now he's stripping thru 3rd gear internally in the gearbox. Not sure which one is better. I'm glad i'm quite happy with my 380wHP.

All great options, thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to buy some rebuilt OEM ones and use them for as long as they hold up. I plan to decrease my amount of drag racing. SOS said "Not many people drag their NSX." A statement that may be true, but I can't say I understand. The NSX is an awesome drag car.
So, I'm going to go with rebuilt OEM's until some stronger/lighter ones are developed. According to driveshaftshop.com they are in the processing of developing an aftermarket carbon fiber one that I'll buy if mine breaks again.

Once I pull my old broken one out, I'll post photos to show the break/weak points.
Thanks.

not on topic but...what kind of numbers are you running with that power level (time and mph)? what are your 60' times like?

I have no idea, we don't have a clock, we're just racing each other, and we're not allowed to post videos on the internet.

I've been running against a 700+whp corvette z06 with a procharger supercharger, I know he runs in the high 10's in 1/4 mile back when we had a clock. We're only running an 1/8 mile and I'm beating him in the 1/8th and pulling away faster towards the end, so I'm sure I could do a 10.7ish in a 1/4 mile.

So, for the time being, I just purchased some rebuilt OEM axles from a prime member, as I can't wait for several months for Drive Shaft Shop to develop new NSX ones. I am still considering www.insaneshaft.com. From what I've read on other forums, Insane Shafts seems like a decent product, but Drive Shaft Shop gets nothing but rave reviews, so if I break these rebuilt OEM ones, then I'll go with DSS (Drive Shaft Shop). Accourding to DSS their NSX axles "will be Porsche style ends, chromoly and be rated for 1000hp."

Wow, incredible dose of reality right there. Thanks for sharing and my small brain agrees to the logic.

I'm reminded of Jim (user Coz here on prime). He found a way to stop breaking driveshafts by venting them. Now he's stripping thru 3rd gear internally in the gearbox. Not sure which one is better. I'm glad i'm quite happy with my 380wHP.

I have to agree with this. I live in Hawaii and just had to do a tranny rebuild.This meant over $2,000 in shipping costs alone, (not to mention cost of the rebuilding the tranny). I also have the 4.23 gearing and the NSX-R Final Drive/Differential.

I would MUCH rather break another driveshaft than break a gear in my tranny.

I'm going to attempt replacing them today. Anyone seen any good DIY's on replacing the driveshafts? Thanks!

Back