• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Broken Timing Belt

A broken timing belt will likely result in internal engine damage that will vary quite significantly. The result of the damage will determine repair cost and mostly is determined if the valves are bent, or if the heads of the valves have broken off. This will vary from bent valves requiring new guides, valves, and perhaps a valve job - or more significant damage requiring piston/connecting rod replacement and/or head repair/replacement.

We do complete engine rebuilds and can tackle any repair small or large.

You can start here for some info if you're interested:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/engine_services.asp

Regards,
-- Chris

FYI Dave G is taking his into Ramons with less the 10K on a 1999 just to be safe. A very wise move in my thoughts.

Hugh said:
Speaking of timing belts. I had mine done two years ago at 80,000 miles. The car is about to hit 160,000 miles. Guess a replacement is in the near future.

Wow, you put 80K miles in 2 years?:eek: I know my T Belt on my 92 was done around 70K ni 2000or 2001 by the previous owner. I'm well within the miles limit at almost 90K, but the years are right about time I should change it. I was almost thinking about prolonging it another year or two, but I think I'll get it down later this year. I just can't risk engine damage over a $1500 T-Belt job.

If your current belt was installed in 2001 or 2002 you're nowhere near the time factor. Honda's current recommendation is 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first.

Hugh said:
If your current belt was installed in 2001 or 2002 you're nowhere near the time factor. Honda's current recommendation is 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first.
That recommendation applies only to the '97-05 NSX. Their recommendation for the '91-96 is still 90K miles or six years, whichever comes first. And he said 2000 or 2001, not 2001 or 2002.

Once this thread started, I had to go and read my 98 manual to remind myself.

Well, whichever comes first is going to be the 7 years as mine just hit 41K. So does this recommendation mean anytime in year 7 or before year 8, are we counting from purchase date or manufactured date - there is about 7 months gap in my case. How would this :count" be addressed if for some reason it breaks in year 7, would this be covered under warranty? Just asking.

On my 96 RL, per the dealer's advice I waited until I hit 90K which was in year 9.5. Given that I track my NSX, I assume that puts more strain on the belt.

Hrant said:
does this recommendation mean anytime in year 7 or before year 8, are we counting from purchase date or manufactured date - there is about 7 months gap in my case. How would this :count" be addressed if for some reason it breaks in year 7, would this be covered under warranty? Just asking.
Seven years means seven years. I don't know if it's manufactured date or purchase date, but it would be seven years (7*365.25 days) from either of those dates. And let's face it - the chances of a failure don't rise dramatically all in the first day after seven years is up. But if you're worried about it, then be conservative and use the manufactured date.

The original warranty is four years from the purchase date, so a failure would not be covered under warranty, although a goodwill repair is possible (and is more likely if it's replaced within seven years, at least from the purchase date, than if it's not).

Why are the schedules different for the for na1/na2? Is there a difference in the belts or do all NSXs use the same part number? If it's the same, why the difference?

I have a set of complete 3.0 heads (head, valves, springs, lost motion, rocker shafts, rockers, seals, cams, cam caps, etc) brand new in the factory boxes. Not cheap but might be less then a rebuild depending on the damage. Mark

kkim said:
Why are the schedules different for the for na1/na2? Is there a difference in the belts or do all NSXs use the same part number? If it's the same, why the difference?

I am curious about this as well... Anyone know the answer to this?

Vandetta said:
what's a fair price for parts & labor on a timing belt job?
$1200-1600, including replacement of the water pump.

I recommend replacing the cooling system hoses at the same time, but the cost of doing so is on top of the range quoted here.

Well guys, I purchased my car (91) in April 06 with 96k miles. I couldn't find any evidence of the belt being changed. I drove it from Dallas, TX to Boise, ID and PARKED IT till I could change the WP and belt. I did it myself, for about $300 in parts if I remember right. The ACURA manual makes it really easy. The toughest part is getting the tool to hold the crank pulley. The bolt is torqued to 150 ft/lbs. I found that lunch for the guys at the local dealership works good. Remember if you can find a mechanic that will loan you tools get them back ASAP. That is how they make their living. If you don't have the tool you can't get the bolt loose. I thought it was easier to do the NSX than my 95 Legend. Check out my owner pictures.

nsxtasy said:
That recommendation applies only to the '97-05 NSX. Their recommendation for the '91-96 is still 90K miles or six years, whichever comes first. And he said 2000 or 2001, not 2001 or 2002.

Couple of questions for you. What makes the later style better than the early style? I got my changed when the engine was rebuilt couple of years ago. I know they put the updated parts on it then, so would I still have the old schedule of changing or now have the new?

The bolt is torqued to 150 ft/lbs.

The torque spec is 181 ft.lbs. If you tightened it to 150, you have some more to go:).

HTH,
LarryB

I just had mine replaced this week with the accessory belts, water pump and tensioner. I also had the valves adjusted and some other routine maintenance done. It let's me drive my 14 year old beauty without reservation.

Also, a friend snapped his belt on a 91 back in 98. $10k later he had a beautiful NSX again.

I see it as a must, as failure is a when not an if.

I just had the 90K/timing belt/H20 pump done on my 56K mile '91 at SOS in Tempe. Excellent service. Had the clutch done too. With tax, the total was $4200. I wish that I could have spent the money on things more, um, exciting: new exhaust, front end/skirts, stereo, etc. But I'm happy that I don't have to worry about the dreaded complications of water pump/timing belt failure. She runs a little smoother too.

Back