• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Button won 1st F1 GP Win

NSXGMS said:
Oh, and I almost forgot: OJ didn't do it.

He didn't. The dead giveaway was when Fuhrman took the 5th when asked if he planted the bloody glove. Not to mention the fact that there was an infinitesimal amount of blood in the Bronco. Nicole and her friend had their arteries slashed. Blood was flying around like it was falling from the sky. If he actually did it and got in the Bronco, the interior would have been crimson.

I'm not saying he didn't arrange the murders but he obviously didn't commit them.

Klayton said:
I don't want to spread a bad mood but what does make you think he could've won the race without all those (for Button) happy fortuities? Räikkönen was unstoppable until he retired, same story for Alonso. I can't imagine how he could've won without the chaos of the rain and wet track. But that's racing business. Nevertheless he drove a fantastic race and deserved the win.

I think Button could have won the race even if Raikkonen and Alonso hadn't retired. Kimi had built a commanding lead earlier on, but before he crashed out he was moments away from being passed by Pedro De La Rosa. Pedro ended up taking 2nd place, finishing well back of Jenson so I figure that Jenson would have taken care of Kimi at some point down the road had Kimi stayed in the race.

If Alonso's pit crew and his car hadn't let him down, it could have been a fight to the finish, but with the way Jenson was hunting down Alonso during the 2nd stint of the race (when both were on the same tires), there's a great chance that Jense would have gotten by Alonso at some point near the end. The fact that Jenson ended building a 40 second lead on De La Roa before he dialed back the revs at the end also showed the pace of him and his car at the finish. Finally, I'd have to assume that if a situation developed where Jenson's Honda was obviously much quicker and fighting to get by Alonso towards the finish, Fernando and Renault would have played it safe (unlike Michael & Ferrari) and would have yielded 1st place so they could at least guarantee 8 points from finishing 2nd.

Jenson sliced his way through the field today and was having a magnificent race. He's a very good driver that drove a faultless race, he had a great car on Sunday, drove on great tires, and the team strategy was perfect. I think with the circumstances as they were, it really was just his day to win no matter how you look at it.

I've been waiting for this day for a long time, and in the end I couldn't really believe what I was seeing all day. After Saturday's qualifying, I thought that Rubens had put his car in a great position to possibly snatch Honda's first F1 victory. I was excited. I didn't think we'd really be able to pull it off, but I knew at least that this was the closest we've been to possible victory since 2004. My thinking on Saturday was: Alonso & Schumi were in the mid-field and couldn't challenge for the win due to the slow nature of the Hungaroring. Kimi is on pole and he's of course incredibly fast, but his car is unreliable. Massa was 2nd, on the dirty line, and hasn't proven himself to be a reliable race driver. If Barrichello got a good start (big if), then anything was possible.

Everything changed on Sunday when the race coverage started and the track was soaking wet. At first I couldn't believe how quickly Schumacher had sliced his way through the field on the opening lap. Then equal disbelief in how quickly Alonso followed through and did the same thing. Disappointment set in after Barrichello's pace on full wets and early stop for tires, but then another moment of disbelief when I realized that Jenson was working his way through the mid-field in the same way Schumi and Alonso had before him. For a Honda fan, it was almost like a dream during the stint where Button was hunting down Alonso at the pace he was going. And after Alonso had crashed out, I realized for the first time a win was really possible. I was in full prayer mode after that. We've been disappointed so many times before, so part of me wondered if maybe Ferrari was going to be able to pull off something incredible, but then it was like magic to watch Button build on his lead, lap after lap before finally bring home the checkered flag.

Usually the Hungarian GP is somewhat of a bore, but what a great weekend this turned out to be! :biggrin:

Fastrunner: I don't understand what you want to say with I have to give it to you man, it would be great if you could write me a PM to explain or post in here, I guess it's offtopic enough already. :)

na14yu said:
Usually the Hungarian GP is somewhat of a bore, but what a great weekend this turned out to be! :biggrin:
Well usually the Hungarian GP is a start-finish win of the pole setter, it's not called Hung-borian GP without any reason. :biggrin:

Just Imagine how wacky we would have been if this was the race we were all watching at expo last year in Arizona:eek:

Klayton said:
I still believe the marshals who didn't convict Schumacher for any action at Monaco...

I guess the stewards gave MS a pit-lane start penalty for no reason then--:confused: Absolutley nobody challenged the legitimacy of that penalty--not even his own team because the telemetry proves--yes--proves he cheated. Or, more accurately, it proves his inputs into the car were inconsistent from his actions at that corner all day--possibly his whole career--and just happened to benefit him at the time! His talent makes it impossible for him to make it look like was inadvertent!

I only bring up the Monaco incident b/c it offers proof of cheating whereas it's difficult to really "prove" cheating any other time. Even still, F1 simply penalized him for a major rules violation--not "cheating"--because it's impossible to get inside his head, of course.

Klayton said:
Interesting, I saw the complete GP, cutting corners is pretty common while racing on a track, it's called hitting the apex. Alonso was the only driver that lapped Schumacher and he let him pass without any intricacies. There was no other car he had to 'relinquish' his position to. I don't know why you took the time to quote posts about a race some months ago.. you wrote he cheated at the hungarian GP '06.

Take a straight pass through two, not one, but two "S" corners is not "Hitting the apex." MS' tires were worn out and he was on wrong tires. What he did was completely against the rule, you can not do that while racing for position. I'm sure if MS finished with points, the stewards would have penalized him. In fact, they might still penalize him.

A win is a win. We should not try to analyze the race with a different scenario. There are many factors that contribute to a winning combination. Weather, performance, reliability, lack of mistakes by the pit crew, and so on...
Button and Honda won the race fair and square. They needed
no questionable driving tactics. It was as clean of a race for Honda as any. I was so excited to see them win.

As for MS, when he made that questionable move at the qualifying in Monaco, one of the commentators said that was a move MS had used many times prior to his F1 career.

Race stewards have always been slow in deciding penalty. By the time they finished meeting with each other, MS has already lost his position to DeLa Rosa, which would have been his penalty anyway.

I'm 50/50 with the race here.

The first half is that a Pole is finally in F1 (according to Polish news everyone is VERY HAPPY since he is racing in F1 reppin us Poles, and its much better to hear about him then the massive flodding in Warsaw)

The other half is that Button got his first victory. Now I dont want to say it was given to him becuase of all the spin outs, but he is one lucky guy. Hopefully he can keep it up for the rest of the season.

Pacemaker Kid89 said:
... Now I dont want to say it was given to him becuase of all the spin outs, but he is one lucky guy.

So you didn't want to say it... You just couldn't help yourself and had to say it anyway...

Luck??? What a load of absolute rubbish... Did you even watch the race???

I would say that Button NOT spinning (or crashing) had absolutely NOTHING to do with luck! I would say THAT made him the BEST driver out there! I would also say that spinning a car is the result of DRIVER ERROR. As such Button did not make any errors!

And I would say he also made the correct decisions which ultimately resulted in having the correct strategy which won him the race! Not coming in for a pit stop when the safety car came out was a stroke of genius!

LUCK is spinning your car and not hitting anything or anyone!
LUCK is spinning again this time hitting a tyre wall and only damaging a front wing
LUCK is (after doing the first 2 in one race) finishing second last and still getting points because everyone else is out of the race!
UN-LUCKY is getting caught cheating and being disqualified!
LUCK is not getting a 3 race penality when you were caught cheating

I think your a little confused because you got your drivers mixed up... I think you meant to say that Kubica is one lucky guy...

I loved watching the balance of power quickly shift to Michelin and seeing MS be overtaken one by one as his tyres failed to perform.

This is racing at it's best. Kimi Bigfooting Luizzi's STR, Alonso's wheel nut flying off, Schumi back to his old tricks and Jenson putting down one of his best performances regardless of all the shenanigans going on... awesome!

Watching the track transform conditions in such an unexpected manner, Speed calling for slicks too early and watchin how close the drivers eventually came to the wall trying to get some more water on thier tires to prolong swtich to slicks... awesome!

This is F1 racing at it's finest and the way it's meant to be... unpredictable and exciting.

One more thing... Button blew his engine during Sat practice... good luck / bad luck? Shit just happens; it could have blown DURING the race, he had to lose 10 positions for qualify, could he have qualified 4th with an older engine? it's just racing, man. Shit happens and you deal with it.

Alright alright relax I get the point, the first line you typed was enough. Yes I geuss I got mixed up, I'm not the most focused kid when it come to typing when school's out. So just relax a bit, I made a mistake in typing, it isnt the end of the world.

lithiumus said:
One more thing... Button blew his engine during Sat practice... good luck / bad luck? Shit just happens; it could have blown DURING the race, he had to lose 10 positions for qualify, could he have qualified 4th with an older engine? it's just racing, man. Shit happens and you deal with it.

I thought about this as well and figured his engine blowing up on Saturday was a good thing for a number of reasons:

1) He won the race from #14, reason enough! :biggrin:

2) On his way to the front, he was able to pick off rivals one-by-one from mid-field and in the rain, not only proving his mettle and ability overtake to his critics, but also to himself. What happened at Hungaroring really helped solidify things a bit for Jenson as far as talking about his ability to overtake. He made two great passing moves at Hockenheim, one on Alonso and one on Kimi, and showed it was no fluke as he passed a bunch of other guys at Hungary and even got Schumacher. These last two races have pretty much proved without a doubt that when he has the right equipment, he's one of the best drivers on the grid.

3) There's really very little pressure starting #14 compared to starting up front, particularly when you're totally out of title contention, and when you were expecting not to do well in the first place (Jenson commented on his and the team's low expectations for Hungary on Thursday). I think starting at mid-field probably helped him in that he was able to relax and try to get into the mindset of doing his best, enjoying the race, and let things fall as they may.

I bet Jenson saw Michael and Fernando disappearing off into the distance on the opening lap, and expected it. And then he probably even surprised himself a little bit as he found himself able to slice through the traffic on the opening laps just as they had done before him. From there on I think he quickly got to grips with his car, the track conditions, how his rivals were performing, and then the race driver instincts took over and he just ended up in a zone where all the craziness happening around him, and the changing conditions didn't bother him at all on his way to the win.

I think that's the best part about it from my standpoint. To be able to watch him and the team doing everything right (yes that call to not come in during the Safety Car period turned out to be genius!). He was just locked into a zone and his day to have everything work out to perfection, had finally come.

Also, this was a wet race, which means the stress level on the engine is may not be as high, since red line reving is not necessary to achieve max speed capible in the rain. The engine in Button's car should do well next race.

Well, I'm absolutely kicking myself. I missed the race (twice!) and now am trying to find a way to watch it. Any idea if the race can be downloaded somewhere??? And this happens after I watch Button get passed in the last 3 laps in Germany to loose 3rd on the podium. Where is a :banghead: smiley when you need one?

Back