• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

buying a 10 year old car, does this bug you inside? hehe

Hi,

I would love to get a NSX, and if I ever do it seems I would be getting one that is pre '96/97.

If a car is around 10 years old, but has low miles....is it really considered an 'old' car? I mean, if I was to tell people I just bought a car for $xx,xxx that was 10 years old I would blush! hahaha

thoughts? (just want to get this thought past me hehe)

I personally have no problem with it! That's like saying someone that bought a 67 Mustang has an ancient car! 10 years isnt a problem, especially for an NSX! Not to mention the design of the NSX hasnt changed that drastically over the years, to the naked eye, few people know the difference. It's the only car I've seen that I get gitty over when I see one pass by.

PassingBy said:
Hi,

I would love to get a NSX, and if I ever do it seems I would be getting one that is pre '96/97.

If a car is around 10 years old, but has low miles....is it really considered an 'old' car? I mean, if I was to tell people I just bought a car for $xx,xxx that was 10 years old I would blush! hahaha

Just tell them it's a brand new corvette...no one has a clue.

"Hi,

thoughts? (just want to get this thought past me hehe)"

This seems troll like in nature, but why blush?
The otherside is you bought a car for $40,000.00 below orig its sticker
that is like new & is still cooler than almost anything else on the road.
Nothing to be ashamed of at all. :smile:

MCM said:
"Hi,

thoughts? (just want to get this thought past me hehe)"

This seems troll like in nature, but why blush?
The otherside is you bought a car for $40,000.00 below orig its sticker
that is like new & is still cooler than almost anything else on the road.
Nothing to be ashamed of at all. :smile:

trust me i'm not a troll, I love this car!

Well it's made of aluminum..it doesn't rust. The only thing is aluminum welds over time will degenerate faster than steel, but I haven't seen/heard of it actually making a difference in the the lifespan of these cars thus far.

Everyone thinks mine is a Ferrari. What does that tell you? Most people don't have clue what year it is and they're shocked to hear it's 14 years old.

This is a NEW car for me! I had a 1955 Chevy street rod. THAT is old!

Zap

PassingBy said:
Hi,

Why blush?
Ferrari 288GTO/Porsche 959 owners are proud to tell people that they paid $250k~$350k+ for their 20 years old car. Why would you worry about telling people you paid $xx,xxx for a 10 years old car. It is the NSX after all, one of 2 cars that has been considered as "National Treasure" in Japan.

I owned 5 different cars prior to my 92 NSX with 26k miles, all purcahsed brand new. NSX look and felt newer than anyone of my previous cars that were purchased new.

NSX was my very first used car, still look newer than most 2004~2005 cars on the road.

Go ahead and tell people it is 10 year old car, and see their reaction afterward :biggrin:

Last edited:
I also saw your other thread and if your worried about depreciation and cost of ownership then you better go buy an Accord or a Camry, as for the 96 NSX it has already lost most of the value its going to and as far as buying a 10 year old car? so what its a Honda. It shares a lot of parts and technology with the Acura Legend/RL and I would buy a 96 RL in a heartbeat if I was looking for that kind of car.

My last 5 cars:

1998 Jeep Wrangler
1998 Acura GSR
2001 Ford Explorer
2003 Nissan Maxima
2003 Nissan 350Z

Now: 1991 Acura NSX....and you know what? Feels just as good as those new cars did...in fact, even better!

nsxsupra said:
Why blush?
Ferrari 288GTO/Porsche 959 owners are proud to tell people that they paid $250k~$350k+ for their 20 years old car. Why would you worry about telling people you paid $xx,xxx for a 10 years old car. It is the NSX after all, one of 2 cars that has been considered as "National Treasure" in Japan.

What is the other car that is considered a "national treasure"?

zahntech said:
I also saw your other thread and if your worried about depreciation and cost of ownership then you better go buy an Accord or a Camry, as for the 96 NSX it has already lost most of the value its going to

then I guess I don't have to worry about depreciation that much then? *smile*

I already own an accord, my 3rd one actually!

I think you guys are reading my threads wrong, I just like to know what I'm getting into before making a decision. thanks for all your information etc.

PassingBy said:
I mean, if I was to tell people I just bought a car for $xx,xxx that was 10 years old I would blush!

That is your mistake, because it is none of anybody's business how much you paid. When I was asked that question my response was along the lines of "What my budget allowed."

If you are even swayed by what you think people will think of something small like that, i dont think this is the car for you. We all have acquired one for one reason or another and most of us are not apologetic about any shortcoming :biggrin: (although an extra 100 hp would be nice LOL)

I am the proud owner of a 96 NSX-T, as you guessed from my handle. People ask me all the time that don't know "what is it" closely followed by "how much does it cost". Here is the fun part, I just hand them the original window sticker with $84,225. and watch them shit bricks. I have owned it 2 years, love it!!! Just have it checked out by someone in the know first!!!!! Good luck and just pull the trigger and start having the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

I don't care what people think about my car, which is almost 15 years old... but a lot of them are awfully impressed when they see it (and even more so when they ride in it).

I don't tell them what I paid for it; when asked, I just tell them what a new one costs.

All I know is I get out in front of DC clubs and hot little blonde b!tches say "I like your car." Couple black dudes in front of another club, "nice whip." People holler at this car. To hell w/ 10 years old, so is a McLaren F1. I'd drive a 250GTO if I had one, too.

Put it this way, the B2 came out in 1989 and people still go, "oh, dizzamn" when one does an overfly.

Maybe you should DRIVE one before listening to people who havent!!! Then you wont give a sh*t what others think...You'll be too busy grinning :)

Does this look like a 14 year old car?

wMTA1MTcwNTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

or this?

wMTA1MTcwNzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

tell them it's a 2010 model...they wouldn't know.

It's true that most people do not know what it is. I had the mailman asking me what year my Ferarri in the garage. Also, my coworker...said...WOW...i have never seen that before...what is it?

skinnydoc said:
What is the other car that is considered a "national treasure"?

I would assume SKYLINE GTR 32/33/34. NSX has been called "national treasure" countless times by both the medias in Japan and outside of Japan.

Skyline on the other hand, I have only read medias outside of Japan called it national treasure.

In Japan NSX is rarer than Skyline GTRs and cost near twice as much.

Back