• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

C8 vs NSX comparison

I'll be interested in the NC1 type S vs ZO6.....

For your reading enjoyment, link to the C8 vs NSX thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4392491-c8-and-nsx.html

I am seriously considering a C8 convertible for 2022.

I will keep the NSX as well.

I am sure you have your reasons for wanting a Corvette, though it makes no sense to me. But if I were going to get a Corvette I would wait for the Z06 which has a flat plane crank and overhead cams. They will also introduce a Z05 Convertible. Otherwise you are just buying a cheap corvette?

It would be my daily driver.I don't consider $106k to be a "cheap" Corvette.
Sorry, that was a cheap shot. I have owned 5 Corvettes in my past. The last two I purchased new. I was really disappointed in the overall ownership process. I never felt that way with the NSX whether it was our new91, 2001, or the 2017. Having said that, it is highly unlikely that we will see a drop top NSX in the near future if at all. So I can understand why you would want a convertible. The Corvette convertible is probably the cheapest new car you can purchase with that level of performance. So go for it.

I'll be interested in the NC1 type S vs ZO6.....

I just read a FB link that profiled the Pike's Peak NC1. It increases boost and keeps the 3-motor system for something like 650 hp total. Also weighs 200 lbs less than stock. I remember thinking, why don't they just make that a trim option and call it a Type S?

The NC1 will make over 650 hp with the JB4 and down pipes on 100 octane. This is calculated with a 85% drivetrain loss. So to stay relevant an "S version" will need over 700 hp and 800 NM torque to play in the super car league. Problem is the torque limitations of the duel clutch tranny. Major reengineering to add an additional 100hp not going to happen. The Z06 will be a game changer.
Jimmy aka sled driver

The NC1 will make over 650 hp with the JB4 and down pipes on 100 octane. This is calculated with a 85% drivetrain loss. So to stay relevant an "S version" will need over 700 hp and 800 NM torque to play in the super car league. Problem is the torque limitations of the duel clutch tranny. Major reengineering to add an additional 100hp not going to happen. The Z06 will be a game changer. Jimmy aka sled driver
I hear you but have to say that the NSX has never joined that group. If you go back in time to the first NSX, it was all about balanced performance. Power for powers sake was not their bag. Even when you consider the NSX R version it was not a giant leap in horsepower but an overall improvement in everything. They tightened up the suspension, improved on the steering, changed tires, etcetera, but it was always an NSX. No doubt the new Corvette Z06 if in fact it has a flat plane crank and duel overhead cams will certainly make the corvette a much better car then it currently is. I have to believe it will add a significant amount to the overall price. When the first duel cam heads were added to the Corvette many years ago it doubled the price of the car. So I would imagine that a new engine would add probably $35k+ to the price. That would still be a bargain of a price for the level of performance. The problem would be that it is just another Corvette, lost in the sea of corvettes. After awhile they all look the same. The build quality would still be significantly behind the NSX. We have a unique car that will always be special.

I hear you but have to say that the NSX has never joined that group. If you go back in time to the first NSX, it was all about balanced performance. Power for powers sake was not their bag. Even when you consider the NSX R version it was not a giant leap in horsepower but an overall improvement in everything. They tightened up the suspension, improved on the steering, changed tires, etcetera, but it was always an NSX. No doubt the new Corvette Z06 if in fact it has a flat plane crank and duel overhead cams will certainly make the corvette a much better car then it currently is. I have to believe it will add a significant amount to the overall price. When the first duel cam heads were added to the Corvette many years ago it doubled the price of the car. So I would imagine that a new engine would add probably $35k+ to the price. That would still be a bargain of a price for the level of performance. The problem would be that it is just another Corvette, lost in the sea of corvettes. After awhile they all look the same. The build quality would still be significantly behind the NSX. We have a unique car that will always be special.

drmanny,
I agree with you on the refinement. That's why I bought an NSX.

One rarely gest the straight story from owners of supercars as most try to rationalize their purchase or blame the dealer for some trivial matter. Most move on to other makes rather than own them when the warranty runs out. I wasn't comparing the Z06 to the NC1 but should have made clear it will be a game changer regarding other supercars.

Porsche loyalist will continue drinking the kool aid but what is in danger is the Jr Porsche the Cayman. The Corvette makes that car irrelevant to a rational mind. McLaren owners will vaguely talk about not knowing how to escape their car when the battery dies. Ferrari type... you know I don't know what Ferrari types talk about.. no, yes I do I have a friend that has five and he's always talking about how the dealers service department is trying to screw him, but he has to show face or he may not get the next new model. Not trying to bash any one brand but after 40 years of car buying and racing generalities tend to be truths. I just sold an AMG GTS it was a very good car. The improvements I made (lowering, tune, a few cosmetics) never scratched the itch. The NSX does.
Jimmy aka sled driver

Our current NSX while having a US Design Team reflects philosophically the wholistic cultural thinking of the Japanese. Way back in my history I worked for an English Company Johnson Matthey. We were in precious metals from ingots to formulations in electronics. I had the pleasure of working with the Japanese on several projects. In that pursuit I interacted with Kyocera a traditional Japanese company. Long story short...Kyocera had a subsidiary that manufactured gemstones in the lab. The most prized and sought after gemstone in Japan was one that was perfect without any flaws. Contrast this with the most sought after gemstone in the majority of the world is one that occurs in nature with the many flaws that it might have. So the Japanese see perfection in a very different way versus the typical US customer. If you look at Bonsai Art, you will see what balance is all about. In their eyes an NSX with a lot of horsepower is lopsided and not a balanced car. You can obviously choose not to purchase what they offer and indeed that is how the market works. I happen to buy into this philosophy, which is why I happily stepped up. I read in this forum many posts where the "want to be" NSX owners complain that the car would be great if only it had 900 hp and did 0 to 60 in 2.4 seconds and sold for $80,000. They profess that this would be sufficient for them to pony up the money to buy the car. Otherwise it is a shit car not worthy of their consideration. I say thank God for that. Let them purchase the Corvette.

drmanny,I agree with you on the refinement. That's why I bought an NSX.One rarely gest the straight story from owners of supercars as most try to rationalize their purchase or blame the dealer for some trivial matter. Most move on to other makes rather than own them when the warranty runs out. I wasn't comparing the Z06 to the NC1 but should have made clear it will be a game changer regarding other supercars. Porsche loyalist will continue drinking the kool aid but what is in danger is the Jr Porsche the Cayman. The Corvette makes that car irrelevant to a rational mind. McLaren owners will vaguely talk about not knowing how to escape their car when the battery dies. Ferrari type... you know I don't know what Ferrari types talk about.. no, yes I do I have a friend that has five and he's always talking about how the dealers service department is trying to screw him, but he has to show face or he may not get the next new model. Not trying to bash any one brand but after 40 years of car buying and racing generalities tend to be truths. I just sold an AMG GTS it was a very good car. The improvements I made (lowering, tune, a few cosmetics) never scratched the itch. The NSX does.Jimmy aka sled driver
I believe you captured the essence of having an NSX. Well said.

And you relate that to the NSX in what way?
I was noting that Japanese culture is many-sided and I meant it as a compliment.

I don't know if I can specifically relate it to the NSX. I can say, though,
that when I've seen photos of the Seiko factory where they assemble
their high-end mechanical watches, the room looks clean, organized,
and well-lit (as you'd expect for precision manufacturing). But what
struck me was that their watchmakers sit at wood desks custom made
by Iwayado Tansu, furniture that showcases the organic patterns of
grain figure unique to each piece of wood.

I was noting that Japanese culture is many-sided and I meant it as a compliment.

I have 2 Grand Seiko watches, and am a big fan of what/how they do.

The downside is my High Beat could use an adjustment and it has to go back to the factory for that (like a 4 month thing).IMG_1366.jpg

sorry, at first I thought you were trolling me. Yes of course multifaceted for sure. I can remember spending time in the famous department stores In Tokyo where entire floors were dedicated to esoteric speakers in one off enclosures showcasing nature at its best. I had never seen anything like that before. It is easy to get caught up in our exceptionalism and forget that other Societies have been around for thousands of years.

I have 2 Grand Seiko watches, and am a big fan of what/how they do.

The downside is my High Beat could use an adjustment and it has to go back to the factory for that (like a 4 month thing).View attachment 166765

I used to collect chronographs but essentially ran out of money. I recently sent my Omega Seamaster in for “service”. It was a bit over $1000. This is the second time in the twenty years I have owned it. Obviously you can buy a digital watch for $25 that is a thousand times more accurate, but that is not the point. I place a high value on craftsmanship and tradition. Sounds like you do as well.

I think what makes the NSX special is that it is a big deal for Honda/Acura. Just think about how VW looks at sports cars. They are trying to capture a marketplace with offerings from Porsche, Lamborghini, and Audi. I would suggest that Honda has more in common with a company like Ferrari Or BMW then General Motors or VW.

Last edited:
In my case it was buying a hybrid sports car.

If I was going to buy a hybrid it was going to be a "super hybrid" and the only other one was a BMW I8 (that I could afford).

When I saw the NSX it was a no brainer.

It is interesting the cross licensing and development sharing between HONDA and GM.

I expect the hybrid Corvette will share much of the electrics for the front end as the NSX has the magnetic ride.

could Dr Manny handle a NC1 with a corvette body kit.:biggrin:

could Dr Manny handle a NC1 with a corvette body kit.:biggrin:
Ok, I will bite. The new corvette looks "Lambo" like (hard lines) to me especially in the front. It is not bad looking per say. The rear end is what eventually gets me upset. It looks as if they were trying too hard. Simple is better. So just based upon the outside I like most of the looks. Having owned at least 5 corvettes in the past I admit that they were enticing until I found the first gen NSX. I recall back in the early 2000s when Uehara asked me what cars I liked, the one that came up first was the British Aston Martin. He nodded approval. That car knows how to handle curves like no other car. I feel the same way when I look at the NSX. It is curved and flows nicely. While I find the front end with all the honey comb bits busy, overall once up to the hood and fenders I am feeling pretty good. This car is a keeper. Docjohn that is a good question. GM always throws a lot of technology into their flagship cars. The problem is that it appears more like an arcade game then a serious machine. Again sometimes simple or less is better. My Volvo XC90 T8 has a shitload of technology but they do a great job of hiding it. It is accessible if needed but otherwise does not take away from the flow.

Back