• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Came across A ONE-OF A KIND Comptech 96

Tonight I ran into a guy with a 96 black/black coupe! It had 6,400 miles and was ALL Comptech. Supercharger, suspension, brakes, exhaust, spring, fog lights, etc...... all Comptech. This thing was shooting flames out of the back of it!! Sounded awesome. He is the original owner that ordered it back in 96. It is the ONLY Black/Black coupe sold in the U.S. in a manual tranny in 96! He also had an amazing aftermarket stereo system...... I told him about the site so I hope he comes over and tells us more. Just thought I'd mention it........ had to tell somebody.
smile.gif

Were there really flames expelling out of the exhaust?

I've had flames as high as 5 feet when i owned my RX7. It was a 93 making 480rwhp. The motor was street ported with parrelel turbos and a Haltech fuel management, no cats.
(kinda off topic but did you know a RX7 makes over 50rwhp when both pre-cat and main cat were taken off? pretty amazing huh?!)

Alot of times, the flame was seen during testing and mapping the fuel. Yes as seen in previous posts, it is not suprising to see flames when you run straight pipes and a lot of fuel. Alot of times, the flame would ignite during the time between shifting. When you let off the gas for that split second, and if you have access fuel, as soon as you step on the gas again, it will ignite through the exhaust port and if there is enough fuel, it will probably spit it out the back.

kevin

Originally posted by Forums Nazi:
Hey, no flames on the forums!
biggrin.gif

He he, cute Forums Nazi!!

Alot of times, the flame was seen during testing and mapping the fuel. Yes as seen in previous posts, it is not suprising to see flames when you run straight pipes and a lot of fuel. Alot of times, the flame would ignite during the time between shifting. When you let off the gas for that split second, and if you have access fuel, as soon as you step on the gas again, it will ignite through the exhaust port and if there is enough fuel, it will probably spit it out the back.

This is exactly the reason for P.D. Cunningham's supercharged NSX spitting fire between shifts. Extra fuel dumped into the exhaust due to positive pressure, and it ignites, giving a great show!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

Flames are good! It looks awesome! I never knew the CT Supercharger can burst out flames. hmm..i might consider this now.
biggrin.gif
wait..i need a NSX first....
frown.gif
I have a Best Motoring video that showed a 5 NSX race...one had a Gruppe M SC, and it bursted flames under downshifts and some upshifts.

I have the same question, is bursting out flames bad? LIke you guys said, running rich...is that bad for the car?

Well, after 2-1/2 years, the guy can finally rest his worries..... cept for the possibility of cylinder wash. :tongue:

Wondering how many flame or comptech searches you had to read through to find this thread!

Back