• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can you build a Great Living Room Tv Setup?

baynsac

I am moving into my first home and I want to have a Complete set up in my living room, thats cost effective but has lot of options. Say, I ask one of you to build me a pefect living room setup, What parts would you get??
Which Tv, Which cables, What Services?

I allready have a PS3 and Nextflix subcription and want to hook up my Tv to a Computer or Laptop like I have it now. This isnt 100% necessary but be nice to have.
Like which Tv? Rememeber all your parts have to work together so the tv with the right in and outputs will be needed.
What services should I get Boxee, Hulu, Roku????
What else ?
Thanks

Need more info. For example, you mentioned cost effective with many options. You mentioned LED. Do you realize LED tends to be twice the cost of LCD? Samsung is great for fast action even if LCD. First of all, how much $$ will you spend on just the TV?

Here is a really nice set for $700. Good bang for the buck. I think you may be able to get them in the price clubs like Costco or Sam's:

Samsung LCD 630 HDTV

LN40C630 40" LCD TV (Widescreen, 1920x1080, HDTV)
120Hz Clear Motion Rate technology allows you to see fast action with a smoothness that's clearly ahead of the competition. The AllShare feature allows you to sync up your entire house, via a wired or wireless DLNA connection that lets you stream your PC audio and video files to your HDTV using your remote.

Are you looking for bigger? I would need more info please. Size, budget, amount of room light and options that you like. One thing I have found, Samsung has them all at a nice price and the technology is there.

Panasonic TV hands down. Many here have them and sing their praises. Setup and calibration are very important. I have a 50" plasma and love it. You can buy them at Costco and if you don't like it, return it within 90 days NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Do NOT buy one of those "all in one" surround systems.

Direct TV with a hi def high capacity HD recorder is pretty nice.

Also get a spl meter at radio shack and calibrate your speakers and sub when you are done. SVS subwoofers are all you will ever need. Stay away from Boston Acoustics/Velodyne crap.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box.cfm Check out the many reviews.

Also if you do not know about the site, avsforum.com is pretty good.

I like Panasonic.

SVS is great if you want to spend the $$

If you can, go the DIY route on your sub.

I have two folded horns, enough to crack the drywall upstairs. :eek:

Panasonic TV hands down. Many here have them and sing their praises. Setup and calibration are very important. I have a 50" plasma and love it. You can buy them at Costco and if you don't like it, return it within 90 days NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Also get a spl meter at radio shack and calibrate your speakers and sub when you are done. SVS subwoofers are all you will ever need. Stay away from Boston Acoustics/Velodyne crap.

I agree on the SVS comment, I have the SVS SBS-02 bookshelves system in my bedroom for the HT in there. Also have two SVS subs in my living room...I ...shakes the hell out of my house. In fact last night my roommate was in the garage and said the garage was shaking during certain scenes in a movie I was watching. I will say two might be overkill...I love my PB12-Plus (it's a monster at 128lbs definitely not small) and sounds great with excellent low end extension but had they offered the SB12 plus when I was looking I would of probably gone that route. I guess it may just depend if you need WAF or not....

Lets say we have no budget but at the same time we are looking for the better deals, if we can find them. I am always willing to pay little more for quality. I was thinking a 50-65' Screen with either LED or LCD or Plasma. I have a 2 bedroom. Master bedroom and Living will have Tvs and it be nice if they both played the same things. I would like the living room tv bigger than or same size as bedroom tv and to be able to watch the same things in both rooms. The living room has skylights and I would say its a regular size living room. ( more on the smaller side) The previous owner had 3 in wall surround sound speakers built in.

Need more info. For example, you mentioned cost effective with many options. You mentioned LED. Do you realize LED tends to be twice the cost of LCD? Samsung is great for fast action even if LCD. First of all, how much $$ will you spend on just the TV?

Here is a really nice set for $700. Good bang for the buck. I think you may be able to get them in the price clubs like Costco or Sam's:

Samsung LCD 630 HDTV

LN40C630 40" LCD TV (Widescreen, 1920x1080, HDTV)
120Hz Clear Motion Rate technology allows you to see fast action with a smoothness that's clearly ahead of the competition. The AllShare feature allows you to sync up your entire house, via a wired or wireless DLNA connection that lets you stream your PC audio and video files to your HDTV using your remote.

Are you looking for bigger? I would need more info please. Size, budget, amount of room light and options that you like. One thing I have found, Samsung has them all at a nice price and the technology is there.

The Living room has 3 in wall speakers built in. Left/right/center position in the rear. Can I just buy SVS subwoofer and what else would I need to complete the surround sound? 2 front speakers and a reciever? What kind?

Any particular model Panasonic? looking for 50-65'?
Also any other sub brands more cost effective? but you can recommend?
how much does a DIY sub come out to be? Do you make them and sell them?

I like Panasonic.

SVS is great if you want to spend the $$

If you can, go the DIY route on your sub.

I have two folded horns, enough to crack the drywall upstairs. :eek:

Any particular model Panasonic? looking for 50-65'?
Also any other sub brands more cost effective? but you can recommend?
how much does a DIY sub come out to be? Do you make them and sell them?

Cabinet makers will build you a cabinet, you just need to hand them the plans. Still, they will probably charge $1,000 for the cabinet.

I built subs, two horns that stand 6 feet tall. I have $600 in mine, that includes both cabinets, wires, connectors, subs and 4,000 watt amp. You could spend upwards of $10,000 for something comparible.

20hz test tone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNnaI59hvbg

Cabinet makers will build you a cabinet, you just need to hand them the plans. Still, they will probably charge $1,000 for the cabinet.

I built subs, two horns that stand 6 feet tall. I have $600 in mine, that includes both cabinets, wires, connectors, subs and 4,000 watt amp. You could spend upwards of $10,000 for something comparible.

20hz test tone

I looked at going DIY with parts from Parts Express when all was said and done it saved me about $100 over buying from SVS, speaking strictly of the SB12-NSD that just came out. I did have a gift certificate with them though at the time which made it even more favorable to go with them over DIY. I was also a little concerned about not wanting it to look too home made which is why I considered a pre-made cabinet...was limited on tools. I think it would of been a fun project but not sure I would of come out on top too much cost wise. So paid a little extra to get a nice piano gloss finish. :wink:

You could get a pre-made cabinet from Parts Express:

http://www.parts-express.com/1/1/8705-dayton-swc3-bk-30-ft3-subwoofer-cabinet-gloss-black.html

Amps:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-752

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-807

Subwoofer:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-650

Of course you can pick different components...this was the route I was going and when I priced it out just didn't make sense for me to build....

Best place to save money would be the cabinet, but that may depend on your woodworking skills. That said. HSU and SVS blow away most subs in the same price range that you get from the big box stores, best buy, HH Gregg etc. That said I have become partial to SVS.

They sell direct to the consumer so they cut the middle man. Worth looking into. Of course all of this depends on your budget. Not sure what you planned to spend on a sub. If you want a well rounded stereo/HT though I would not get a cheap sub...just my $.02.

Wow. Thats too much bass for me. I dont think my neighbours will like me too much if I get those subs. Maybe if I had a bigger home and more property. For now, I just want clear and acurate nice surround sound. Nothing over the top.

20hz test tone

Ok say I get the SVS The tiny new SB12-NSD. Than where do I go from here on the surround sound system? What else ? Which other speakers do I match with it? Also if I have 3 built in the wall speakers can I use those or put something better in there to combine the surround sound in the living room?

I looked at going DIY with parts from Parts Express when all was said and done it saved me about $100 over buying from SVS, speaking strictly of the SB12-NSD that just came out. I did have a gift certificate with them though at the time which made it even more favorable to go with them over DIY. I was also a little concerned about not wanting it to look too home made which is why I considered a pre-made cabinet...was limited on tools. I think it would of been a fun project but not sure I would of come out on top too much cost wise. So paid a little extra to get a nice piano gloss finish. :wink:

You could get a pre-made cabinet from Parts Express:

http://www.parts-express.com/1/1/8705-dayton-swc3-bk-30-ft3-subwoofer-cabinet-gloss-black.html

Amps:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-752

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-807

Subwoofer:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-650

Of course you can pick different components...this was the route I was going and when I priced it out just didn't make sense for me to build....

Best place to save money would be the cabinet, but that may depend on your woodworking skills. That said. HSU and SVS blow away most subs in the same price range that you get from the big box stores, best buy, HH Gregg etc. That said I have become partial to SVS.

They sell direct to the consumer so they cut the middle man. Worth looking into. Of course all of this depends on your budget. Not sure what you planned to spend on a sub. If you want a well rounded stereo/HT though I would not get a cheap sub...just my $.02.

I like my SBS-02 HT set up in my bedroom. I am considering upgrading my klipsch towers in my living room to their M or L series towers. I think the next question you have to ask is do you want towers or bookshelf?

You could use the three in the back but the front three should be the same so they are tonally matched. You might have an issue with the rears being different but it's not as critical as left front, center front and right front being matched. The SBS-02 5.0 system is on sale for $664. Not sure what your budget is, they aren't the "prettiest" of speakers but they do sound good. The M and L series have nicer finishes, wood, piano gloss etc. You will also get 10% off of the sub if you buy a package deal.

I am not telling you to buy SVS just what I have heard and have. There are other big box brands out there too, but I think you get a lot for your money with SVS. Polks LSi series are supposed to be very good but I have not heard them for myself. I don't like metal tweeters and stay away from them, find them too harsh, this is a personal preference and may also depend on the music you like. I would say go to a decent audio store...and listen to various speakers.

Ok, If I go with the SBS-02 5.0 sub. What 3 speakers in the front should I use? You asked if want towers or bookshelf. I would say something I can hang on the wall or towers. Which Reciever do I get? Which brand and model speakers for the front 3 speakers?
Thanks

I like my SBS-02 HT set up in my bedroom. I am considering upgrading my klipsch towers in my living room to their M or L series towers. I think the next question you have to ask is do you want towers or bookshelf?

You could use the three in the back but the front three should be the same so they are tonally matched. You might have an issue with the rears being different but it's not as critical as left front, center front and right front being matched. The SBS-02 5.0 system is on sale for $664. Not sure what your budget is, they aren't the "prettiest" of speakers but they do sound good. The M and L series have nicer finishes, wood, piano gloss etc. You will also get 10% off of the sub if you buy a package deal.

I am not telling you to buy SVS just what I have heard and have. There are other big box brands out there too, but I think you get a lot for your money with SVS. Polks LSi series are supposed to be very good but I have not heard them for myself. I don't like metal tweeters and stay away from them, find them too harsh, this is a personal preference and may also depend on the music you like. I would say go to a decent audio store...and listen to various speakers.

Ok, If I go with the SBS-02 5.0 sub. What 3 speakers in the front should I use? You asked if want towers or bookshelf. I would say something I can hang on the wall or towers. Which Reciever do I get? Which brand and model speakers for the front 3 speakers?
Thanks

SBS-02 is the 5 speakers, two fronts, one center and two rears. (the fronts and rears are the same, center is different) minus the subwoofer

http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm

The SB12-NSD is the sub (Currently offered at $100 off MSRP)

https://svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12nsd.cfm

The front and rear speakers are around 11 pounds, the center is 19lbs, the center has key hole slots on the back of it, not sure if the book shelves do or not, I can look tonight when I get home. You also have the option to order the bipole surrounds for more. I would maybe consider this if you are putting the speakers to the side in a longer room, if they are behind you not sure it will be worth the money. Not sure how you would mount on the wall you could use a drywall tapcon as they hold 50 plus lbs, good thing about these speakers is that they are not ported in the rear as some speakers are so you will not interfere with their sound by mounting right up to a wall. Are you going to run the speaker wire through the walls? You might want to consider how you do that.

For my bedroom, I have them on bookshelves and the center on the entertainment unit, the rears I wired using white flatwire attached to the baseboards. You can't tell it's there but it's a pain in the butt to work with. Wish it stuck better. All in all it was a good solution for not having to get up in the attic though. May depend on your floor layout though.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=099-059 (currently sold out but other places may carry it). If you are pulling through walls and ceilings or can hide under carpet then it's a non-issue. As for receivers you will have to decide what features you want, iphone compatible, how many HDMI inputs you will need, do you need a GUI. I have two pioneer receivers one in the bedroom and one in the living room. I like them both, both have built in Ipod capability and include the cable...however in hindsight I wish they were in the back so it looked cleaner. So I might start looking for a wireless ipod dock for that reason. They also have there own built in speaker calibration system which is nice as well. (MCACC)

Pioneer, Onkyo and Yamaha make good receivers...of late have heard that Denon is having quality issues. Of course this is my two cents so others may chime in otherwise.

Lets say we have no budget but at the same time we are looking for the better deals, if we can find them. I am always willing to pay little more for quality. I was thinking a 50-65' Screen with either LED or LCD or Plasma. I have a 2 bedroom. Master bedroom and Living will have Tvs and it be nice if they both played the same things. I would like the living room tv bigger than or same size as bedroom tv and to be able to watch the same things in both rooms. The living room has skylights and I would say its a regular size living room. ( more on the smaller side) The previous owner had 3 in wall surround sound speakers built in.

Check the specs on the Samsung LN55C650 55" LCD TV. I believe it has everything you would need for your monitor at $1700. Plasma would give a beautiful black picture during the day with those skylights however at an overall weight and power consumption tradeoff. As for sound, folks can talk about speakers all day long but your best bet is to test drive many in an audio store, just as you would a car. Speakers are a very personal thing that has to do with your ear and no one else's. If budget is no problem, I would spend the most money on the speakers. Cables are very important as well as the power amp.

Check the specs on the Samsung LN55C650 55" LCD TV. I believe it has everything you would need for your monitor at $1700. Plasma would give a beautiful black picture during the day with those skylights however at an overall weight and power consumption tradeoff.
thought i'd chime in and mention we bought this unit two weeks ago for $1,399 @ pacific sales, a division / unit of best buy. they delivered it and hauled away our 1998 56" mega-something- sony for free.

it sits in our very well lit front room and doesn't glare / reflect back @ us. the weight / power consumption of lcd vs plasma (we have a 56" plasma in our bedroom) contributed to our decision to go w/this tv. we really like having netflix streaming and hulu available via the samsung apps. overall, we like the new unit a great deal. (in the future we may add additional sound system)

Also keep in mind you dont need to spend extra big bucks just to get the Netflix/Hulu/etc apps built into the TV. A $170 Sony Bluray player has all of that integrated into it and will work on any TV. Its great if the TV already has it, just dont upgrade for that reason only, as you can get the same from that Bluray player... along with Pandora, Hulu Plus and a host of other stuff. In fact I think the Sony Bluray has more features built into it than any of the TVs Ive seen so far.

Thanks guys. I think I got the Living room TV with this Samsung. At $1400 in the Bay Area sounds good deal. What Tv would you recommend for the Master Bedroom? Anything good at 46-56' range and priced really good? Maybe even LED tv?

Check the specs on the Samsung LN55C650 55" LCD TV. I believe it has everything you would need for your monitor at $1700. Plasma would give a beautiful black picture during the day with those skylights however at an overall weight and power consumption tradeoff. As for sound, folks can talk about speakers all day long but your best bet is to test drive many in an audio store, just as you would a car. Speakers are a very personal thing that has to do with your ear and no one else's. If budget is no problem, I would spend the most money on the speakers. Cables are very important as well as the power amp.

thought i'd chime in and mention we bought this unit two weeks ago for $1,399 @ pacific sales, a division / unit of best buy. they delivered it and hauled away our 1998 56" mega-something- sony for free.

it sits in our very well lit front room and doesn't glare / reflect back @ us. the weight / power consumption of lcd vs plasma (we have a 56" plasma in our bedroom) contributed to our decision to go w/this tv. we really like having netflix streaming and hulu available via the samsung apps. overall, we like the new unit a great deal. (in the future we may add additional sound system)

Also keep in mind you dont need to spend extra big bucks just to get the Netflix/Hulu/etc apps built into the TV. A $170 Sony Bluray player has all of that integrated into it and will work on any TV. Its great if the TV already has it, just dont upgrade for that reason only, as you can get the same from that Bluray player... along with Pandora, Hulu Plus and a host of other stuff. In fact I think the Sony Bluray has more features built into it than any of the TVs Ive seen so far.

Great Stuff. Thanks. This is really good to know. Which Sony blue ray player is the one your talking about?
Does Playstation 3 do the same things by chance? ( probably not right)

Which Reciever do you recommend?

SBS-02 is the 5 speakers, two fronts, one center and two rears. (the fronts and rears are the same, center is different) minus the subwoofer

http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm

The SB12-NSD is the sub (Currently offered at $100 off MSRP)

https://svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12nsd.cfm

The front and rear speakers are around 11 pounds, the center is 19lbs, the center has key hole slots on the back of it, not sure if the book shelves do or not, I can look tonight when I get home. You also have the option to order the bipole surrounds for more. I would maybe consider this if you are putting the speakers to the side in a longer room, if they are behind you not sure it will be worth the money. Not sure how you would mount on the wall you could use a drywall tapcon as they hold 50 plus lbs, good thing about these speakers is that they are not ported in the rear as some speakers are so you will not interfere with their sound by mounting right up to a wall. Are you going to run the speaker wire through the walls? You might want to consider how you do that.

For my bedroom, I have them on bookshelves and the center on the entertainment unit, the rears I wired using white flatwire attached to the baseboards. You can't tell it's there but it's a pain in the butt to work with. Wish it stuck better. All in all it was a good solution for not having to get up in the attic though. May depend on your floor layout though.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=099-059 (currently sold out but other places may carry it). If you are pulling through walls and ceilings or can hide under carpet then it's a non-issue. As for receivers you will have to decide what features you want, iphone compatible, how many HDMI inputs you will need, do you need a GUI. I have two pioneer receivers one in the bedroom and one in the living room. I like them both, both have built in Ipod capability and include the cable...however in hindsight I wish they were in the back so it looked cleaner. So I might start looking for a wireless ipod dock for that reason. They also have there own built in speaker calibration system which is nice as well. (MCACC)

Pioneer, Onkyo and Yamaha make good receivers...of late have heard that Denon is having quality issues. Of course this is my two cents so others may chime in otherwise.

I'd take a look at Sonos for a surround sound option around the house. It doesn't involve wiring so when the technology inevitably changes in 6 months it's not hard to upgrade. Makes full house surround sound music/TV and works with existing systems for a few thousand...

Great Stuff. Thanks. This is really good to know. Which Sony blue ray player is the one your talking about?
Does Playstation 3 do the same things by chance? ( probably not right)

I think most of them do it. I was thinking of the basic BDPS470 and S570 models. The PS3 does some of it like Netflix, but I dont know if it has all the features Ive seen on the Bluray. Why Im not sure because we all know it can if they wanted to add it in an update.

Back