• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cant decide... Older NSX vs. New Nsx Owner comparisons?

I'll post the unpopular opinion of...

For the money in today's market... there are better cars to drive than either the NA1/2 or NC1 IMO.

But that is not the question. If I didn't have my 92, and was given the choice (1st or 2nd gen), I would choose a second gen, all things being equal. Its like my buddy who has a 67 Ford Bronco, priceless to many, but I wouldn't want it. I'd choose the new Bronco.

[MENTION=9246]NsXMas[/MENTION] - just sayin...

[h=2]How automotive brands ranked for reliability:[/h]
  • Lexus
  • Mazda
  • Toyota
  • Porsche
  • Genesis
  • Hyundai
  • Subaru
  • Dodge
  • Kia
  • Mini
  • Nissan
  • Honda
  • Infiniti
  • Audi
  • Lincoln
  • Ford
  • BMW
  • Buick
  • Chrysler
  • Mitsubishi
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • GMC
  • Tesla
  • Volvo
  • Chevrolet
  • Jeep
  • Volkswagen
  • Acura
  • Alfa Romeo
  • Cadillac
[FONT=&quot]Follow USA TODAY reporter Nathan Bomey on Twitter [MENTION=16094]nathan[/MENTION]Bomey.[/FONT]

But that is not the question. If I didn't have my 92, and was given the choice (1st or 2nd gen), I would choose a second gen, all things being equal. Its like my buddy who has a 67 Ford Bronco, priceless to many, but I wouldn't want it. I'd choose the new Bronco.
perhaps I didn't understand the question. what I was answering was... If I had say $60k (price of a clean 1st gen), i'd buy something else.

I love my NA1 for entirely irrational reasons. There are more rational choices in today's used car market.

perhaps I didn't understand the question. what I was answering was... If I had say $60k (price of a clean 1st gen), i'd buy something else.

I love my NA1 for entirely irrational reasons. There are more rational choices in today's used car market.

I’m with you on the love of a first gen.
Since the original poster has had several first gen (and sold them) I don’t think the emotional attachments are there.

One of my friend mentioned that, there are too many amazing cars out there to experience that one should not be attached to a car for too long. I don’t know where I am going with this but the NC1 or a Turbo would make a great “sport” daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m with you on the love of a first gen.
Since the original poster has had several first gen (and sold them) I don’t think the emotional attachments are there.

Ahhhh…. but the attachments have just been coming back a lot lately. I just have not been satisfied with anything since my NSX-t's that I had.

[MENTION=9246]NsXMas[/MENTION] - just sayin...

[h=2]How automotive brands ranked for reliability:[/h]
  • Lexus
  • Mazda
  • Toyota
  • Porsche
  • Genesis
  • Hyundai
  • Subaru
  • Dodge
  • Kia
  • Mini
  • Nissan
  • Honda
  • Infiniti
  • Audi
  • Lincoln
  • Ford
  • BMW
  • Buick
  • Chrysler
  • Mitsubishi
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • GMC
  • Tesla
  • Volvo
  • Chevrolet
  • Jeep
  • Volkswagen
  • Acura
  • Alfa Romeo
  • Cadillac
[FONT=&quot]Follow USA TODAY reporter Nathan Bomey on Twitter [MENTION=16094]nathan[/MENTION]Bomey.[/FONT]

Regan, how did you find an article that places Mini or Jeep above Acura for reliability? Sorry man, but this list is trash.

Regan, how did you find an article that places Mini or Jeep above Acura for reliability? Sorry man, but this list is trash.
Lexus is the top and I can confirm that with personal experience. We have 3 Lexuses and absolutely bulletproof I'm not saying this list the all end be all but this isn't the 90s anymore. Honda is having problems in the most recent 5yrs or so.

This is USA today /Consumer Reports. Argue the list if you must. It's not my list...

EDIT: Btw.. the list is out there. It's easy to find. I think it was either a 2018 or 2019.. Nov 2019 IIRC. So I have a solution to the lackluster NC1 sales. The entire industry is conspiring against Acura. Consumer Reports and USA Today are in on it :) In fairness, I didn't dig into the detailed criteria for the list. Maybe this only monitors Infotainment complaints which explains why Honda is last. The infotainment in my brand new 2019 Clarity is ok but I got 53% off MSRP for that. If I paid full price, i'd be annoyed.

Last edited:
I made the mistake of trading in my 02 for an 04 Gallardo. I am back in the market for another NSX.

Daniel

Not to hijack this thread, but I am very curious to hear more about why your Gallardo purchase was a mistake as I have been obsessively thinking about one for the last couple of months - but not quite to the point of trading my NSX for one.

Not to hijack this thread, but I am very curious to hear more about why your Gallardo purchase was a mistake as I have been obsessively thinking about one for the last couple of months - but not quite to the point of trading my NSX for one.

Well, it was a great looking car and sounded amazing...... but once the exoticness wore off, it just was not as refined as the Nsx..... Plus the oil change was 14 times as much as the nsx. Also plenty of negative attention while driving the lambo. The interior was amazing though, kind of like driving inside a coach purse. Plus everyone pre judges you on the lambo.... not that it bothers me that much, but it is annoying because it never stops, the nsx was always a positive experience.

I'd still get the clean first gen with my 60k. Most of the alternatives are not going to hold their value like the NSX, or possibly increase in value as time goes on. Most of these other choices won't come with three pedals, nor will they likely have the timeless styling of the first gen, with all the safety requirements now on new cars. I don't need nav systems, apple car play, or the rest of the needless crap people think they can't live without these days. The NSX checks all the right boxes for a sunny day, back road weapon that won't likely break something, and need to be flat bedded home. And when I'm feeling like a change of pace, the S2000 provides a bit more of a franic experience. Plus in the 20 years of having the S2000 and 9 years with the NSX I have needed to do little maintenance other than fluids, brake services, and tires (especially rears)! Around here anything above 50 km over the limit gets you a $2400.00 fine, six points on your licence, a ride on a tow truck, and an impound for a week. Big horsepower cars are not of much use unless you have access to a track. They are pretty much nonexistent in these parts.

Around here anything above 50 km over the limit gets you a $2400.00 fine, six points on your licence, a ride on a tow truck, and an impound for a week. Big horsepower cars are not of much use unless you have access to a track. They are pretty much nonexistent in these parts.

.and you live there why?:tongue:

yep the infamous Larry B peddle extension kit was designed at that time....

as was the dinner of Mead /meat/wenches.....

So all values aside..... I just want to know if there is anyone out there whom have owned both and if they prefer the new one, or if they miss the old one?

I had my 1991 for almost 25 years. Sold it 3 years ago and got a 2019 NSX. I obviously loved my 1991 but have fallen completely in love with the NC1 (as was the case with the 1991, the sound needs some "help", which will be fixed with a downpipe and exhaust). My 1991 had a Comptech Supercharger, headers, GruppeM exhaust, big brake kit, Gram Light wheels, etc. Keeping in mind that the original's tech is close to 30 years old (and still impressive), the NC1 is truly impressive (as it should be). Yes, completely different cars, but I'm still very much aware that I'm in an NSX (the transition will be easy). I plan on keeping the NC1 for a very long time as well.

Ahhhh…. but the attachments have just been coming back a lot lately. I just have not been satisfied with anything since my NSX-t's that I had.

That makes it harder. I’m not sure the 2nd gen will ever be as much of a Honda from its glory days as the 1st gen is. It is probably very reliable (except for Doc’s Lemon) but as complex as a modern car is, it makes for more potential issues.

That makes it harder. I’m not sure the 2nd gen will ever be as much of a Honda from its glory days as the 1st gen is. It is probably very reliable (except for Doc’s Lemon) but as complex as a modern car is, it makes for more potential issues.

I’m the only one who was vocal here about my Lemon. I know of four others that were also a Lemon.

I’m the only one who was vocal here about my Lemon. I know of four others that were also a Lemon.

That is disappointing to hear, but a reality of the state of the car.
The biggest shortcomings of the 1st gen, in my opinion, are the snap ring (manufacturing defect), window regulators, and sub marginal capacitors in the radio / ac and control cluster. All minor in comparison to the 2nd gens complexity.
I’m not sure of any 1st gen lemons.
Some of the differences may also be representative of craftsmanship of different generations.

I wonder if Acura had addressed most of the issues that resulted as Lemons in their 2019 and 2020 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, with regards to i8...it's nice, but not even close to the level of NC1 in terms of performance. Here is my NC1 next to a friend's i8 roadster. You can't tell easily in the photo, but the NC1 is far lower and far wider than the i8. It's not even in the same category, imho.

The NC1 is not about EV range. It's about butt kicking rocket ship when you step on it, and acceleration never fades because of the twin turbo v6, unlike traditional EVs, plus sexy as hell looks (in person, really), amazing ergonomics, amazing dynamics, amazing overall feel. It never gets old. I watched an old Top Gear review on the Porsche 918, and the McLaren P1...the things they say about those cars (except for the exhaust) pretty much applies to this car, at a fraction of the cost. Watching those reviews made me even more appreciative of the NC1.

The i8 is actually wider than the NC1, but you’re right, the NC1 is lower than the i8 by almost 3 inches.

Speaking of the i8, there are many attributes to like about that car. While many NC1 owners like to say that the NC1 introduced the hybrid technology to this price point (ie, entry level supercar world), I would say that it was the i8 that did it back in 2013/2014. The i8 is a true hybrid that actually does have an all-electric range of about 20-25 miles, is a plug in just like the Porsche 918 and McLaren P1, and has fuel economy that is about 3 times more efficient than the NC1. However, what it provides in gas efficiency it gives up in all-out performance. By modern supercar standards, it’s performance is lack-luster, but overall it is still not too shabby for a sports car (about on par with a modern M3/M4 with a 0-60 in 4 sec and 1/4 mile time in the very low 12s.). In addition, it's more comfortable as a DD, has significantly more storage space, has a backseat suitable for very young kids (a plus for some people), a CFRP chassis/body, dihedral doors, 50/50 weight distribution, ~3300 lbs (compared to the nc1 at >3900), and a lot of the cool tech features such as a heads-up display, surround view cameras, collision mitigation, auto folding mirrors, laser headlights, etc, all which are not available on the NC1. Nevertheless, if all-out performance is what you’re looking for, then the NC1 is a much better choice. My only wish is that the NC1 had the EV range capability of the i8 while still performing the way it currently does. (I could forgive it’s archaic infotainment system, lack of Honda Sensing, and the other cool tech toys.) If this were the case, then IMO, the NC1 would have pushed the performance/hybrid envelope to a higher level than it currently does. Since it doesn't have that and it is all about performance, this is where the naysayers have a point in saying that it should have been all ICE due to a fuel economy comparable to ICE competitors, mediocre sound/exhaust, tune-ability (no tunes available only piggybacks), over-weight due to the hybrid system, etc. I used to brush it off as NC1 hater comments, but nowadays I have come to realize that some of the criticisms are valid. Don’t get me wrong. I still like my NC1 even after owning it for 3 years. I only wish that it did have real EV capability (ie, fuel efficiency). In the end, the market speaks and the NC1 is a very exclusive car, whether or not that was Acura's intent.

Back