• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Can't get into reverse

Hello Primers, I'm looking for some input. My NSX is a 2002 with approximately 57k miles and a recently installed SOS 275 clutch which replaced a very heavy Comptech PG1 clutch. The car also has a CTSC. I've had some trouble getting into reverse in the past (typically when it's cold and notchy), but all of a sudden I've been unable to put it into reverse at all. I rolled it out of my garage today to drive around and warm up the gear oil in hopes that doing so would make a difference. But after about 5-10 minutes of driving, I was still unable to shift into reverse. First gear and initial take off seem normal.

Based on what I've read, the master and slave cylinders are the primary culprit. But the typical poster will complain that first gear is also difficult to engage. Would it be possible that the master or slave cylinder is faulty and only reverse is affected? What else could cause this issue?

If the transmission goes into first gear just fine, I don't think you have a clutch problem. With the engine off, can you shift into reverse? If it still blocks the shift its not clutch drag that is blocking the shift into reverse. Your 2002 has an electrically operated reverse gear lockout mechanism. This is only supposed to become active and prevent shifts into reverse at speeds above 30 km/hr. I think the more typical problem is that the lockout fails to lock out. However, the service manual flowchart does have a test procedure if the transmission fails to go into reverse.

The test procedure is to remove the lockout solenoid from the transmission and check to see if it shifts into reverse. I expect that also means the select lock pin not just the solenoid itself because it may be the pin which is failing to retract even if the electrical part of the solenoid is working. If it now shifts into reverse, there is a problem with the lockout solenoid mechanism. If it doesn't, there is a problem in the gearbox. Best to get a copy of the service manual and check the test procedure before

Thank you for the quick response [MENTION=26435]Old Guy[/MENTION]. I forgot to add that I also have Ti Dave's short shift kit installed. Best case scenario would be that there's a problem with it instead of anything else.

I know zip about the details of the short shifter. However, I am not sure how it would block entry into reverse if all the other shifts are working; but, could be worth checking. As an observation, getting at the shifter to check it does require removal of stuff. It might be easier to do the solenoid check first since you should not have to remove anything to get access.

Thank you for your input [MENTION=26435]Old Guy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION] Brought the car down to Niguel Motors on Friday and Ramon spotted the problem right away:

IMG_20191122_1843522.jpg

That's the Ultimate Cup Holder, as seen in this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/171131-Ultimate-Cup-Holder?

If placed in the wrong spot, these can interfere with shifting. I've used these cup holders for years without issue, so go figure. I'm just glad Ramon is still around to instantly troubleshoot obscure issues with our old cars. He was sitting in my car, spotted the cup holder, and then got out right away and walked away from the car saying, "It's the damn cup holder!" He had previously taken another car apart multiple times with the same issue before he realized the cup holder was causing the problem!

The long drive down was worth it though. Always fun to see other NSXs and meet owners.

Attachments

• IMG_20191122_184352.jpg
    IMG_20191122_184352.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I don't know how you drive your NSX, but when I get a chance to go for a rip, I don't need an open beverage to contend with.

I like to have two cup holders for two water bottles in case my passenger gets thirsty. It gets a lot hotter in Southern California compared to Nova Scotia, so it's nice to have at times.

BTW, beautiful NSX! Mine is Silverstone as well. Guess I should change out my avatar.

Last edited:
So I am guessing that the 'tab thing' that would fit up under the side of the center console was interfering with the linkage? That was not in my repertoire of possible causes. Interesting that the problem didn't materialize from day one. I guess Ultimate, ultimately turned out to be sub ultimate!

If an OEM did something like that there would be an NHTSA bulletin and probably a cloud of product liability lawyers hovering looking for fresh kill. A lot of aftermarket stuff comes to market without much concern for these kinds of detail problems

Last edited:
I like to have two cup holders for two water bottles in case my passenger gets thirsty. It gets a lot hotter in Southern California compared to Nova Scotia, so it's nice to have at times.

BTW, beautiful NSX! Mine is Silverstone as well. Guess I should change out my avatar.

I can see your point regarding temperature issues compared to here. At least if you have a mishap, it's only water to wipe up! I have always been partial to Silverstone. I ordered my first year S2000 in the same colour in 1999.

>I like to have two cup holders for two water bottles

Dunno, when I bring my Cupholder along she can hold two drinks at once. She even does active inertial guidance really well.

Not many corners in Hole I guess?

well you didn't throw in the magic internet phrase of "The Twisties" so how am i supposed to know you actually track the car? of course even my 75 landcruiser can spill a drink if i take a turn too quickly i spose...
98% of nsx owners use it to buy eggs and milk. I am but a novice at tracking the NSX with only 10,000 miles of track time. The Hole, it appears, does have corners. When my mommy allows me, of course.

Back