• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

car bogs when starting..then engine light shows

Have a curious problem. This has happened 2-3 times now

When I turn the key to start the car, it feels like it starts for 1 sec and then stops.

Turn key again...turns ON w/o problem..but ENGINE LIGHT TURNS ON.

thought it was electrical short and went thru' everything really well last time..2 months ago and reset the error.

Just happened again yesterday. CAR RUNS FINE

What am I missing ?

This is not something that happens all the time.
Has happened 3 times over last year.
The 1st time we reset the error in the car and then it happened again 3-4 months later....so we (my mechanic) went over all the possible shorting places and made sure everything was fine.

Now it happened 2 months later again

And once the engine light comes on it stays ON, but car turns-on fine.

Have a curious problem. This has happened 2-3 times now

When I turn the key to start the car, it feels like it starts for 1 sec and then stops.

Turn key again...turns ON w/o problem..but ENGINE LIGHT TURNS ON.

thought it was electrical short and went thru' everything really well last time..2 months ago and reset the error.

Just happened again yesterday. CAR RUNS FINE

What am I missing ?

I have a similar issue with my 92 gpw without the CE light on. It did it a few weeks later after I bought the car last year. I initially filled up the tank with premium gas and a bottle of fuel injection cleaner(did it three times) and since then it started on first turn. Now Since Tuesday it did the same thing again, won't start on first try but immediately on second try.

Wish mine was that simple or easy. Car turns on first turn all the time...except as I noted above. And turns on first try even with engine light on.

Crappy fuel pump relay? It starts at first with the residual fuel but then bogs because the relay hasn't turned on the pump as fast as it should have.... could be. Did you replace the main relay and the fuel pump relay yet?

So what code is set? If you get a CEL, chances are pretty good a code is stored...

Larry,

I will get my friend to bring the diag. unit and get the code...will also look into inginition switch.

thanks keep you posted

Crappy fuel can lead to bad 02 sensors. I think this is the code you have now. Fuel pump relay can also cause this($100). I'm pretty sure its 02 sensor but let us know what CEL reads.

finally got the CEL codes
P1241 and P1242...throttle position sensor read 9.8...car was idling rough (in the driveway)

reset the error codes...throttle position sensor read 8.2....car idling smooth

Hope this will be similar to somebodies experience.

I had the same exact problem where the car would sometimes shut off right after I release the key when I would first start it. If I wiggled the key around just right it would sometimes keep running. I also had the bulkhead cover behind the seats off, and could hear the main relay clicking on and off as the ignition switch connection opened and closed when I released the key after cranking.

After removing and cleaning the ignition switch all was good.

Chussey,

Did you get engine light if the car did not start ??

Larry,

P1241 & 1242 ..need to change sensor only or motor also.

Thanks

TPS sensor problem? This is rare.

My guess would be a Main Relay. Swap out with a new Main Relay and try it out, much easier to do. And if its not that.. oh well, you got a new main relay which is something that should be replaced anyways!.. Good luck.

How frequently is the car being driven? My 93 would do this intermittently (I don't recall if the CEL came on or not though), but it hasn't happened since I replaced the main relay.

My car just threw P1241 and P1242 as well. Wiki says "Throttle Vent Control Motor Circuit 1 Malfunction" and "Throttle Vent Control Motor Circuit 2 Malfunction".... what parts should I order?

Back