• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car Duster !!

Dust & Streaks :mad: ! The Acura car cover leaves lots of dust after removing it. Tried using one of those auto dusters, but it leaves streaks on the paint finish. It is very annoying especially after spending hours cleaning and detailing the car. Does anyone else have this problem? Someone told me that I was dragging the duster too hard against the paint surface. Regardless of how little I tickle the paint surface I still seems to streak!!:mad: :mad: :mad: Any suggestions - on dust removal or using that stupid (IMO) duster? BTW - Car color is '02 LB Blue.

Brand new car dusters have the tendency to do that. As you use it more often, you'll find it doing its job streak-free.

Dust is not embedded on the car. It sits lightly on top so what I do is hold the duster in a way that the the very tips of the strings are the ONLY thing touching the car. I don't drag the whole thing on it. And just like a magnet, it will pick up the dust no problem.

Remember, just the very tips.

I have the large duster for the outside of my car and I noticed the same streaks. When I purchased the mini one for the inside I asked about the streaks. The streaks are actually wax that the fibers are coated with. I was told to sit the new duster on a newspaper for a day and the excess wax will be soaked into the paper. I actually did both, since the large version is still fairly new. I have noticed that there is not nearly as much steaking.

John

I could see it on a white or silver car, but on a darker color those things scare me :eek:
Aaron

The safest way to clean dust is to use a quick detailing spray (it takes about 1 minute to do the whole car) ie. Meguiar's http://meguiars.dailyshopper.com/index.aspx?pagename=moreinfo&uniqueid=1049492

"Quik Detailer is the one product that every knowledgeable Meguiar’s customer uses. It’s the missing link between washing and waxing. Simply mist on and wipe off with Meguiar’s Ultimate Wipe or a 100% cotton terry cloth towel. Removes contaminants before they can damage your paint and keeps your car looking like it is detailed every day."

I leave my CA Duster on a newspaper all the time. It still soaks up a bunch of wax after almost 2 years!!! (The newspaper is it's cradle... I change it out every month of two... :))

I don't see any streaks though... and it still works great.

I washed my duster in the washing machine - per the instructions that came with mine for when it got dirty and no more streaks - still works as good as new!

I guess the cali. duster solution has been well covered.

Regarding putting on a dirty car cover after it has been washed. I have 2 covers, one for indoor after the car has been cleaned or "quick detailer'ed" So you'll never get dust on your car after its been washed. The factory cover is thick enough to avoid scratches from kids playing in the garage.

An thinner out door cover is used when I park it at my office. It may have dust on it, but as soon as I get home, I'll "california duster" it and/or "quick detailer" it before I put on my in door cover.

It works great in between car washes.

Not for nothing but....i washed my car cover and i do this about once a year and this seems to solve the problem.I also try to wash my car b4 placing the cover back on,this helps a great deal.

Thanks for the tips everyone. The duster is now resting in newspaper.

I'm afraid to use my CA duster on my *black* NSX. I don't like rubbing dust/dirt against the paint unless the car is wet. Seems like a good recipe for scratches.

Although I currently have about 8 coats of zaino on the car...

I have black and use my Cali duster all the time. Actually I am not fond of using the cover regularly, since the dust gets between the cover and the car and the end result is fine scratches.

I only use my cover for hibernation (NY). If my car is dusty from not being covered in the garage, I just dust it off. I think the QD is great, BUT.... only after the dust has been removed. Also if the car does not have a good coat of wax you will get streaking, and it looks like the duster and/or QD is doing it.

The Cali duster will not scratch, if you pass it lightly over the body. NO scrub brush action here!!

HTH,
LarryB

As others have said, your duster needs to "season" a bit before it stops leaving streaks. I dust the wife's piano for weeks before I use a new duster on my car.

I have also found that a Cal Duster on warm paint will also leave streaks.

MATTENI:
Here in the desert in the warm months, outside ambient may dip a little below 90 at dawn. Car surface temps in the garage are only appropriate for relatively streakless use in the winter. I've been storing mine on newspaper/paper towels for over 5 years, and the paraffin (or whatever) crud is still killer on my black car. The CCD people recommend NOT washing them, but do provide instructions if you just have to do it. My question for you is: Does it still work as well or almost as well after the washing? I've gotta try something! You said it helped the streaking, but just want to know if it still works well.

Yeah, I used to think anyone would have to be crazy or stupid to use one, but after years of seeing the show-car guys use them, I broke down and tried it. Used properly, on a cool car, with good wax on it, it's a lifesaver with a black car in dusty conditions.

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

scott,
use microfiber cloth instead of the duster. it picks up dust much better and polish your paint at the same time :D I learned that at the last Meguire demo:)

I have washed mine 6 or so times and I think it works equally as well as when new.

Sorry for the late response - out of the country for all of July.

Take care

nick

rrwildman said:
MATTENI:
Here in the desert in the warm months, outside ambient may dip a little below 90 at dawn. Car surface temps in the garage are only appropriate for relatively streakless use in the winter. I've been storing mine on newspaper/paper towels for over 5 years, and the paraffin (or whatever) crud is still killer on my black car. The CCD people recommend NOT washing them, but do provide instructions if you just have to do it. My question for you is: Does it still work as well or almost as well after the washing? I've gotta try something! You said it helped the streaking, but just want to know if it still works well.

Yeah, I used to think anyone would have to be crazy or stupid to use one, but after years of seeing the show-car guys use them, I broke down and tried it. Used properly, on a cool car, with good wax on it, it's a lifesaver with a black car in dusty conditions.

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

Matteni:

Thanks for the feedback. Washed mine per the directions, and I think you're right! HUGE improvement on the streaking (almost none), and seems to work as effectively as before (or close enough)! There is great joy in the desert! No more looking like I rubbed Vaseline on my hands and smeared it all over the car!

Welcome back to the good ol' U.S. of A. I know that red beauty put a smile on your face when you returned:)

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk without the AZ dust

Back