• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car out of hibernation, strange sounds?

Just took the car out of the Northern-Norway 8 month vinter hibernation, did the obvious oil change, oil filter, air filter cleaning. I might be getting old but it feels like i'm hearing weird sounds.

If anyone could comment on the youtube and put my head to rest i would be happy. It feels like there is some valve problems? Maybe I need a adjustment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuYHn3mv85Q

I think the extra ticking/clanking is not normal...but I think it may be belt/exhaust related rather than an internal issue.

Timing belt? Cause I'm due a timing belt change this year, but didnt know it could make sounds?

About the exhaust, what could be wrong there? It felt like the exhaust sound on idle had changed, hence why i recorded that part.

Just had my 2year control of emissions etc, everything was A'OK.

PS: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25662 This seems to describe my problem, but not 100% sure since there is no sound proof.

Last edited:
The engine sounds normal to me, just a tad too much valve clearance. That's what I would start with. Ticking can also come from the injectors. They don't like to be sitting unused for 8 months.

Lifters also make a noise if they have been sitting too long.

My RL sat for almost a year, started right up but man did it not like it. about 30 min later it was quiet as a church mouse.

Last edited:
I agree sounds normal, let the thing run for about an hour. or shit go driving.

let her wake up proper.

but I would still take it in to have it checked to be safe.

keep us posted

Lifters also make a noise if they have been sitting too long.

My RL sat for almost a year, started right up but man did it not like it. about 30 min later it was quiet as a church mouse.

Sorry, no lifters in an NSX engine;)

Regards,'
LarryB

Just took the car out of the Northern-Norway 8 month vinter hibernation, did the obvious oil change, oil filter, air filter cleaning. I might be getting old but it feels like i'm hearing weird sounds.

If anyone could comment on the youtube and put my head to rest i would be happy. It feels like there is some valve problems? Maybe I need a adjustment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuYHn3mv85Q

In the video is the engine warm?? If so I would do a valve adjustment, and check the LMA's\

Regards,
LarryB

Mine sounds like that, but not that loud.

Engine was warm, and the sound continues like no tomorrow and its really starting to annoy me. Its probably nothing but will get it checked out.

How do I get the LMA checked, i thought that required the engine to be taken out?

Will be doing a timing belt change/wp next month, figour i would get the valve adjustments at the same time. Should I aim to replace more?

How do I get the LMA checked, i thought that required the engine to be taken out?

Will be doing a timing belt change/wp next month, figour i would get the valve adjustments at the same time. Should I aim to replace more?
The LMA can be checked with only the head valve covers off. Changing them is a different story. I like to have the engine out for this task.
If you're going to change the TB do yourself a favor and sort the LMA's out before. Anyway, if they haven't been changed in the past, there would be no better occasion. :wink: If your noise is really related to the LMA's then it's pretty silent. I've heard the LMA's hammering...

BTW, I've a set for sale if you need one.

Havent had much time to look at this issue, started her up last night. The ticking noise goes away about every 10 seconds for 3 seconds, is this a new symptom?

Also it feels like the exaust note is uneaven, as you might have noticed on the video?

Got a mechanic ready to look on it in 14 days, just wondering if i should prepare and get some spare parts?

Back