• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car won't start...bad starter??

My car gets power and all but won't try to turn over. I would imagine its the starter but I can't even find the damned thing to tap it to see if it will turn.

I've replaced the starter on my buddies 88 f-150...pretty straight forward. Is the NSX pretty straight forward as well? I haven't had a chance to jack the car up.

How much is a new starter??

And I broke the damn hatch glass trying to fix this so now i have to get a new glass!! Anyone know what that runs at Acura??

Have you checked the main fuel relay? It is behind the passenger seat. Tap on it a few times with a hammer while you try and start the car and see what happens. I had the same issue. It was a quick $50 fix.

if it was a fuel problem, wouldn't the car still try to turn over? There is no crank coming from teh car at all...

The starter had been making some weird noises once in a while hte past week, so i'm pretty sure its teh starter.

on a side note, i have a company coming out to replace the whole rear hatch glass for $375 installed!!! WITH a guarantee...

Brian2by2 said:
if it was a fuel problem, wouldn't the car still try to turn over? There is no crank coming from teh car at all...

The starter had been making some weird noises once in a while hte past week, so i'm pretty sure its teh starter.

on a side note, i have a company coming out to replace the whole rear hatch glass for $375 installed!!! WITH a guarantee...

To my knowledge, if it is that relay, the car won't do anything when you turn the key.
That is a SMOKIN' price on the glass:eek:

ok, update:

its not the starter. My buddy took the coil wires on the starter and jumped em and the car started. So now, i guess its something on the clutch that is preventing the car from knowing the clutch is pressed? We cut the sensor on the clutch and tried to bypass it but it didn't work. So tomorrow, it has to goto acura and be looked at by them. Shouldn't be too much money though...cheaper than it would be to put a new starter in!!!!

Brian2by2 said:
We cut the sensor on the clutch and tried to bypass it but it didn't work. So tomorrow, it has to goto acura and be looked at by them. Shouldn't be too much money though...cheaper than it would be to put a new starter in!!!!

You cut the sensor for the clutch??!?!?:eek: Hopefully you did a very good job of repairing that cut and not something like twisting wires and black electrical tape them together.:frown:
Why do you think it won't be much money though? Just curious, not doubting you information.

Sounds to me like you have an issue with your security system. Behind the glove box is a Starter Cut Relay. Check that out, it will turn off the starter curcuit if the anti theft system warrants it. I have seen this before.

Also your clutch sensor is just a switch, and that also controls to curcuit for the Starter Cut Relay, IIRC.

HTH,
LarryB

Well, i cut teh switch wiring out, not the switch. So the little female adapter is probably $1 or so from Acura and i can wire it back together.

I don't think its the alarm because I removed the factory alarm a while back and the new alarm hasn't given me any trouble.

I think what I'm going to do is I'm going to wire a switch in off the starter and have a push-button start inside the car, like the S2000's. The key will still have to be in the on position to turn on the fuel and what not, but then once its on, you can just press teh start button and voila, the car will start. Save me money, aggravation and time, hopefully.

any input?

i had the maybe the same problem. I would just turn the key and hear a click from the rear but nothing else. It turned out the battery terminal was making a bad connection. so i cleaned everything and no problems

Back