• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car Won't Start, looking for ideas

I have been having some trouble with my car starting lately, and I'm looking for some ideas. If I try to start the car, the ignition clicks, and all of the lights go out. Afterwards, there's no battery at all. The lights don't work, zippo. So, I pop open the hood, take the negative battery cable loose and reconnect it. The lights come back on in the car, and it used to be that the car would start, but now not even that.

Any ideas? Bad battery, bad fuse or something else? I'm leaning toward just replacing the battery and see what happens, but I don't want to waste money if that's not it.

Thanks,
Scott

Brian, I just took a voltmeter to the battery and it read 12.38 Volts. Which, I think is right where it should be, right?

Thanks,
Scott

Autozone or checker/advance/whatever in your area will check the battery for free, I'd take it in to get checked. But it does sound like a fuse popped for some reason.

Battery teminals clean?
The lights going out is weird. Sounds like a short. All fuses okay?

Mine just did the same thing. Got a bit of a click and then all the lights went out and no juice. I just replaced the battery 1 week ago. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Back