• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car won't start ??? ugh

Wouldn't ya know, i've had my first NSX less than a year now and last night I got in to head to work and it didn't start. :confused:
Headlights work, dash does not light up and it won't crank...:mad: battery is fine...
Sounds electrical? anyone have any pointers or suggestions? I know a ton of you guys are experts in the NSX field....help!!! please....
thanks, April

Last edited:
Sounds like your ignition switch which is a common problem with this car. It is an easy DIY (search the DIY forum and you'll see :smile:). Good Luck and tell us what you find.

I would check your Ground cable terminal. It might be loose. Wiggle it, if it moves then its not making a solid connection. How long has it been sitting? I notice if the battery is not fully charge it wont start.

I would check your Ground cable terminal. It might be loose. Wiggle it, if it moves then its not making a solid connection. How long has it been sitting? I notice if the battery is not fully charge it wont start.

I drive my car about 2-3 x per week. Batt is fully charged and it's a 2010 batt. Since dash won't light up, spouse is thinking a starter solenoid? think he's going to pull the glove box now...I think if it was the starter, the dash would still be lighting up right?

When u turn the key does it make any sounds? lights will work fine even if the starter is bad. Check your cable first. Most of the time ots because the ground cable on the battery is loose. Happened to me before, replaced it and fire right up.
Can you jump start it? I would not start removing part just yet. U should do some basic test before pulling the starter.
Check cable
Jump start

Try those first.

When u turn the key does it make any sounds? lights will work fine even if the starter is bad. Check your cable first. Most of the time ots because the ground cable on the battery is loose. Happened to me before, replaced it and fire right up.
Can you jump start it? I would not start removing part just yet. U should do some basic test before pulling the starter.
Check cable
Jump start

Try those first.

not the ground cable...just just found the "area" of the prob. Whoever installed the clifford alarm, screwed around with the wiring and when hubby started checking the ignition switch and the wiring, the car dash lit up again and now it started....he said some wires have been cut/crimped and oem connectors cut and a wire has been fried for some reason. I guess due to the clifford alarm, there's some improper wiring been done....so I guess i'll get a new ignition switch and let hubby try to figure this wiring issue. Thank you all for the suggestions...:) what a royal pain the the rear this wiring issue will be!!!

Last edited:
Rookie installations of aftermarket alarms and stereos can sure make a mess of good wiring.

Hope your hubby gets it all fixed soon! :smile:

Rookie installations of aftermarket alarms and stereos can sure make a mess of good wiring.

Hope your hubby gets it all fixed soon! :smile:

you're not kidding..:frown: :rolleyes: thank you, he will have his work cut out for him....am just very thankful he can do mechanical things with ease...whew!

same thing i had an aftermarket alarm ( Alpine with the roll down windows option ) it shorted out my main relay and ign switch,

had the Dealership rip everything out that wasnt OEM not one problem for almost 3 years now and it was about 2 months of ownership LOL

so I have the same thoughts as I know you are having what did i get myslef into. LOL dont worry this car will be your pride and joy she just needs some minor things refreshed.

trust me this is a non-issue small problems are better than BIGGG problems

good luck

since the main relay and ign switch are fairly cheap compared to other parts of the NSX I would just go ahead and get these 2 parts new. and use your working ones as spares.

just my 2 cents

I have had problem with aftermarket alarms on my previous cars, so I am still hesitant to do it on my nsx and just use the oem alarm instead.

I have had this problem before.... Car starts every once in a while but not at most times. Alternator was good, Checked everything, got new battery, even took off my remote start alarm system, all for nothing.. and it turned out to be the starter relay behind the glove department.. just replace it and you'll be good to go. Starts everytime now =)

Back