• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cars in same league as NSX ??

Spinner said:
I think he was joking. A 300ZX TT only does a 14 second 1/4. A 98 NSX does a 12.9 1/4. Thats a huge difference...

I'm amazed at some of the low level cars being brought up here. Amazing.
I can see the point with the Supra, and the RX7. Both timeless, both somewhat exotic looking, both very high performance.

- MR2. No way. I would put a lotus elise WAY in front of a MR2, but I dont the elise is in the same league as the NSX.
- 300ZX. Its just a dated sports car. Nothing special about it what so ever. An Integra Type-R is closer to what a NSX is then something like a 300ZX.

The ONLY cars I think are in the same league as the NSX are made my Ferrari and Porsche. That's it....

I think that the closest thing to the NSX is the S2000 and (gasp) Porche Cayman.

S2000: Has the affordability, reliability, handling, and fun factor of the NSX, just not the exotic looks (although it's the only "masculine" roadster i can think of).

I think the absolute closest (from what i can think of at the moment) is the Cayman.

Cayman: Has the mid engine layout, almost identical numbers regarding perfomance, relatively affordable (compared to higher end cars), and doesn't look (again gasp) that bad :eek: . If one can consider the 911 exotic looking, i suppose the cayman can be said about that also (it does carry some of the same lines). IMO, it is no way an exotic.

So basically, no other car can be compared.

And 15k miles on a ferrari deems it reliable? Please show me 10 examples of any ferrari that hasn't been rebuilt yet and sees over 30k miles with no major issues. 15k miles may be reliable, when comparing towards other ferraris and lambos, but when comparing the reliability of a ferrari and an NSX, it's a no brainer. The NSX will last at least 200k miles, and that is almost certain in every case.

I'm surprised no one (unless I completely missed it) mentioned the Ford GT...almost double the price of an NSX, but still alot cheaper than a 360...

Spinner said:
I'm surprised no one (unless I completely missed it) mentioned the Ford GT...almost double the price of an NSX, but still alot cheaper than a 360...

That would be my best bet as to why it wasn't mentioned. And i have no clue why the 360 was mentioned as it is a 150 - 200k car :confused:

rsevo6 said:
... I Have owned about 50 different cars till now and many of them appealed to me for one or another reason at the time that I had them and test drove lots of other cars....

Keep dreaming troll! Maybe you won't write such rubbish when you are old enough to get a licence... :rolleyes:

*** EDIT***

I apologise rsevo6, you are obviously not a troll or a school kid as can be seen in this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76386

I see now that you really were just stirring and I took the bait, hook, line and sinker!!! I hope, if nothing else, my rantings in this thread made you chuckle...

Enjoy your new NSX!

Last edited:
I am resigning from this thread... Nothing more of interest since the school kids have taken over!

MR2's, 300ZX's... Jeez what next???

Oh yeah... Adding HP upsets the "balance of the car"

Absolutely pathetic...

FrEsHaZzBuRu said:
That would be my best bet as to why it wasn't mentioned. And i have no clue why the 360 was mentioned as it is a 150 - 200k car :confused:

Have you just returned from a trip to a neighboring solar system? The average price for a 360 is more like $130K or so with the occasional car selling close to the $100K level. Still way too much to pay for that silly little piece of junk though. :)

Hugh said:
Have you just returned from a trip to a neighboring solar system?

I've been caught!! LOL

Hugh said:
The average price for a 360 is more like $130K or so with the occasional car selling close to the $100K level. Still way too much to pay for that silly little piece of junk though. :)

:biggrin: I was referring to mint cars. Not the high mileage (10k is high mileage...haha talk about reliablilty!). Also, $100k plus cars are way out of my price range, so unless i'm seeking to purchase one, i don't pay great attention to them. :smile:

On a side note, i'm pretty sure the median price for the newer mint 360's are $150k or more. So i'm half right :tongue:

Sorry, in contradiction to my earlier remark to stop, I couldnt stay silent:redface:

AU_NSX said:
Keep dreaming troll! Maybe you won't write such rubbish when you are old enough to get a licence... :rolleyes:

Keep dreaming of what??
A bit sad that when people can't give good argumentation for their remarks, they get offensive
Clear case of NSX tunnelvision

AU_NSX said:
I am resigning from this thread... Nothing more of interest since the school kids have taken over!

Oh yeah... Adding HP upsets the "balance of the car"

Absolutely pathetic...

Clearly you have never driven a car with too much power, you are probably still of the "the more power the better" generation:tongue: ?

I once spoke to a guy who owned a Westfield trackcar with 330Bhp cosworth turbo engine (power/weight ratio about 600 Bhp per 1000Kg).
He told me he was selling it as it was almost undrivable. He had to be soo careful when stepping on the accellerator (just a mm too much gas and it was spinning all over the place) that it wasn't any fun driving it anymore.

And in another thread it was written:
AU_NSX said:
Some of these threads would not deteriorate the way they do if people didn't always feel the need to have the "last word"
Do I get that now?:rolleyes:

Sorry guys, just couldn't resist hassling a little:wink:

I love the Z, but I don't think it can compare. The car is very heavy, and the weight distribution sucks. You can easily push the HP up but you can never get the power to the ground. In stock form I don't think the Z car is faster 0 - 60 or 1/4 mile; it might have an advantage pulling from 80 - 120 however. On a road course the Z would be be in trouble.

I still wouldn'y mind having one, its on my early 90's Japense sport car collection list, right behind the RX-7.

Zenky said:
I say 90-96 300ZX TT is in the same league as NSX as far as price/maintenance cost & reliability is concerned.

On the look/style department, Z32 is still there. Both NSX and the Z32 have this timeless looks.

On the performance side, 300ZX TT will outperform the NSX stock for stock.

NSX however has this looks that you can't help to notice when you seen one on the road. NSX is a masterpiece.

jond said:
I think he was joking. A 300ZX TT only does a 14 second 1/4. A 98 NSX does a 12.9 1/4. Thats a huge difference...
No I am not. I raced my friend's in 1/4 (he has 98 NSX) I had him by 1/2 car lenght, I guess it's a drivers raced then. We tried on a highway just few weeks a go on a roll and it was the same result. I have so much respect for NSX, it has definetly have a potential for more power with the right mods.

FYI. Z32 are been in the sports car mainstream for more than 15+ . Z32 set the ground rules of what japanese sports car should be, period. Do a little research about these little 300ZX and you will understand. :)

Zenky said:
jond said:
No I am not. I raced my friend's in 1/4 (he has 98 NSX) I had him by 1/2 car lenght, I guess it's a drivers raced then. We tried on a highway just few weeks a go on a roll and it was the same result. I have so much respect for NSX, it has definetly have a potential for more power with the right mods.

FYI. Z32 are been in the sports car mainstream for more than 15+ . Z32 set the ground rules of what japanese sports car should be, period. Do a little research about these little 300ZX and you will understand. :)

I like the 300zx, but I've never even seen it compete in anything. Its a great car just probably a little too heavy. My roomate had one and so did my neighbour. The engine bay was so tight, it was very hard to work on...he moved on to Rx-7s...when they kept blowing up, he moved onto an LS-1 powered Rx-7.:biggrin:

I still don't know whether the HiCas system proved effective on the track or whether it was meant for real-world driving. All I know is that much unwanted weight to the already heavy car. The only other tidbit I know about the car is what that the original designers dubbed that era with "bubble-design"...thats what they called the "rounded squares" themes for the car....taillights and etc.

Zenky said:

I did a little research and I see you OWN a 300ZX, not a NSX. Nice......
No other comments necessary in regards to that....

AU_NSX said:

Absolutely pathetic...
I agree 100%. This thread is pretty dumb.
I'm waiting for someone to quote something from the Fast and Furious.

Spinner said:
I think people assume it's not reliable, but I would say it's probably the closest to the NSX in that it's timeless. 20 years from now, I think a GT will still be a hot car.

I shouldn't even acknowledge this thread but it's like a train wreck and I can't help but stare at it. My buddies all want to know why I don't race anyone on the street in my NSX. I tell them because "I know how fast my car is, and I don't really care about anybody elses car". My car looks exotic, gets STUPID amounts of attention, people with camera phones getting out of their cars at red lights to take pictures of it, girls cooing when I pull up in front of a night club with it. I can't think of a hotter car to drive for the money. When some dip shit in a civic or a cavalier with a fart can pulls up and revs on me, I don't even acknowledge them. Not to sound eliteist, but they're not even in the same boat. And you'll always have SOMEBODY in a civic or a cavalier that has $15,000 in turbos and crap tied up in their motor that can beat you... but at the end of the day.. who's driving home in a civic, and who's driving home in an NSX.
I also don't race guys because what do I have to gain from it? If I beat some guy in a riced out Cavalier, well then I beat a Cavalier with an NSX... not something you should really be bragging about. But if that guy in the Cavalier happens to have as much money tied up in his motor as I do in the 3 motorcycles I have sitting in my garage... well then he just beat an NSX with a Cavalier. So basically there's nothing in it for me to race these little economy cars. So take that MR2, and talk about it's performance all you want, because at the end of the day, it's not about lap times, horsepower numbers and trap speeds. It's about driving an NSX. If my car were HALF as fast as it is... I would STILL drive it over an MR2.

Here we go, annother amazing thread....

The OP asked for cars in the same league as fas as price/maintenance cost & reliability is concerned.

He did NOT specify looks or exoticness (does that word exist?).

The cars mentioned here ARE in that league.
A few hp's less then a stock NSX is not putting any car into another league.

If we DO take 'exoticness' into acount, then why start rambling about Ford GT's and 360's while a MR2 and a 300ZX is considered out of its league.
In that case, (IMHO) the NSX has a league on its own.

A league of its own.

As someone said in a another thread, those of NSX-owners that have bought their car for 30.000 $ just don't understand what they actually have... I agree :)

Scin said:
I love the Z, but I don't think it can compare. The car is very heavy, and the weight distribution sucks. You can easily push the HP up but you can never get the power to the ground. In stock form I don't think the Z car is faster 0 - 60 or 1/4 mile; it might have an advantage pulling from 80 - 120 however. On a road course the Z would be be in trouble.

I still wouldn'y mind having one, its on my early 90's Japense sport car collection list, right behind the RX-7.

Hmmn? This 300ZX seems not having a problem keeping up with this Viper SRT10. Heavy? It doesn't matter I think :)
http://www.garyjavo.com/videos/2005 videos/SRT10VS300ZMR.wmv

let's have a moment of silent please. :)

In terms of insurance class the NSX is in the exotic (Porsche, Ferrari and on).

Performance wise - 911, Skyline GT-R, Supra TT, RX7 Turbo, F348 and F355. Not sure about their American counterpart (don't have American sportscar to test with here).

When I sold my CL600 and was looking to buy either an Aston, a Maserati, or a new NSX, one of my friends wrote me an e-mail with all sorts of supporting documents as to why I should forget those cars, and get a used 1980's Buick GNX. It included videos of them drag racing some place in Alabama.

I hadn't laughed so hard in about a year.

The OP mentions Ferrari, and is getting suggestions of 1990's Japanese sports cars.

Its just common sense that someone who is tired of his two NSX's isn't going to buy a 300ZX, RX7, Supra, Evo, or an MR2. Probably nothing Japanese, period.

There is a reason why cars cost what they cost. My CL was $50,000 more expensive than a new NSX. And I can tell you why... The turn signal lever in my CL felt like it cost more than the entire interior of the NSX. Just the same, there is a reason why a Modena was 150K, an NSX 90K, and an MR2 30K.

No disrespect to anyone's project car... but buying one of these suggestions, modifying it, and claiming it an alternative to an NSX is like taking phyllis diller, giving her a boob job and claiming her an alternative to Claudia Schiffer.

FrEsHaZzBuRu said:
I think that the closest thing to the NSX is the S2000 and (gasp) Porche Cayman.

S2000: Has the affordability, reliability, handling, and fun factor of the NSX, just not the exotic looks (although it's the only "masculine" roadster i can think of).

I think the absolute closest (from what i can think of at the moment) is the Cayman.

Cayman: Has the mid engine layout, almost identical numbers regarding perfomance, relatively affordable (compared to higher end cars), and doesn't look (again gasp) that bad :eek: . If one can consider the 911 exotic looking, i suppose the cayman can be said about that also (it does carry some of the same lines). IMO, it is no way an exotic.

So basically, no other car can be compared.

And 15k miles on a ferrari deems it reliable? Please show me 10 examples of any ferrari that hasn't been rebuilt yet and sees over 30k miles with no major issues. 15k miles may be reliable, when comparing towards other ferraris and lambos, but when comparing the reliability of a ferrari and an NSX, it's a no brainer. The NSX will last at least 200k miles, and that is almost certain in every case.

Wow an nsx owner appreciating an s2000. I do agree that they def lack the exotic looks. I just can't see the s2k in the same category it's hard to think of the s2000 as compared with the nsx...just so different. But they are hondas so they can't be all that different ha

SFMarine0311 said:
I just can't see the s2k in the same category it's hard to think of the s2000 as compared with the nsx...just so different.

Well, i was aiming more towards reliability, price, and fun factor with that comment. I agree, without a doubt, it's a huge step up to go to the NSX from an S2K. With that said, the S2K is a very fun car and does perform rather well on the track; they don't call the S2K the NSX's little brother for nothing :wink: .

I think the only major difference that keeps the S2K performing at the NSX's level and getting that much more fun out of it is the FR vs the NSX's MR layout (although the early AP1's did have that traction issue). The confidence in driving the NSX is just that much more because of the layout.

But again, considering the criteria the cars must meet, no car can compare. It's like that saying about modding a car: cheap, fast, reliable - there can be 2 of the 3. It's the same for other cars when compared to the NSX, although the NSX has all 3. :biggrin:

PS: I know this post can be worded a lot better than it is, but i'm out of it today and very lazy :tongue: .

SFMarine0311 said:
But they are hondas so they can't be all that different ha

Just like these two Boeings. :)

D4E-535464_n.jpg

f22_n.jpg

Back