• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cayman S vs NSX

I am a Porsche-ophile myself (911 Targa prior to the NSX) and I really like the Cayman. The only glitch I see is that it will turn into the 'dime-o-dozen' car fairly shortly. I see soo many boxters it's not funny, and I have a feeling I will be seeing alot of these too, along with the C6 vette.

cfra7 said:
Both interiors are equal to or better than an NSX.

what?!?!?:confused:
I dont know about the Caymon, but are you serious that a vette has a better interior??? You must loooooooooooove cheap plastic :biggrin:

...go look at one then come back :rolleyes:

Dan Ciesniewski said:
what?!?!?:confused:
I dont know about the Caymon, but are you serious that a vette has a better interior??? You must loooooooooooove cheap plastic :biggrin:

...go look at one then come back :rolleyes:
You have to remember that cfra7 has a 91, his interior may be in poor shape compare to other 91, therefore the conclusion that other cars have better quality interior. To compare a worn,neglected 15 yr old interior to brand new car is laughable. No other cars from early 90's can compare to NSX in interior design, material, or workmanship.

The Cayman is really growing on me ,but I have a few questions.

1. Have any performance tests been done on the car? ( I've been checking the auto mags and haven't seen any instrumeted testing )

2. Have any of you priced this? Porsche generally doesn't include anything in the base price of their car. My eye's popped when I added the composite brakes and a few other options:eek:. The cost was not to far from what I paid for my new 04 NSX.

Lastly people keep talking about the price of a new NSX as being high , but what other exotic can you get for that price? 911 is not now nor will ever be an exotic , Z06 is not an exotic nor is the Cayman an exotic car.

Porsche builds a great car, I had a Boxster and Boxster-S before purchasing my 92 NSX. I feel the NSX is much more car for my taste, everything about it suits me. My approach was a little different, given the fact I like to build/modify cars as a hobby. The Porsches did not lend themselves to this as easily as the NSX does, I like turn my own wrenches. I have modified the engine, drive train and suspension on the NSX while retaining the stock body configuration. To date, including the purchase price of the car, I have not spent the cost of purchasing a new Boxster.
This adventure has proven so rewarding I have purchased a 2nd 92 NSX and am starting the process anew with a slightly different goal in mind. I have test driven several other cars, new and used, and have not found any that suit my needs as well as these 14 year old cars. With some modifications this performance platform can still run at today’s performance levels. I realize this route is not for everyone but speaks volumes about the quality of the NSX as it was 1st designed:biggrin:
The Cayman-S compared to a new 2005 NSX maybe a better value comparing $ to performance but as for deep built-quality only time will tell.
Just my thoughts about the route I have taken:wink:

Bob

WingZ said:
The Cayman is really growing on me ,but I have a few questions.

1. Have any performance tests been done on the car? ( I've been checking the auto mags and haven't seen any instrumeted testing )

2. Have any of you priced this? Porsche generally doesn't include anything in the base price of their car. My eye's popped when I added the composite brakes and a few other options:eek:. The cost was not to far from what I paid for my new 04 NSX.

Lastly people keep talking about the price of a new NSX as being high , but what other exotic can you get for that price? 911 is not now nor will ever be an exotic , Z06 is not an exotic nor is the Cayman an exotic car.

Yes, several auto mag's have done instrumented testing on the Cayman S. Acceleration is slightly better than the NSX (sub 5 seconds to 60, low 13's in the quarter at 105+ mph). Lateral grip is better (0.9g+), braking distances are better too as are the slalom speed. In truth, that's all magazine racing as the average driver would likely not be able to tell the difference.

However, my test drive did confirm (at least for me) the the P-car's 3.4L flat 6 does feel torquier at low to mid rev's but lacks the high end thrill of the 3.2L V6 in my NSX.

2) The car that I had on order was an arctic silver (extra$), with the standard Cayman S 18" wheels, sport chrono package, HID headlamps, upgraded Bose stereo, sport shifter and floor mats. I wanted the chrome exhaust tips but that wasn't yet available. That car prices out at about $70K give or take a bit (including tax (which is 7.75% where I live), license and registration. My dealer was not really willing to move much on MSRP.

However, like all P-cars you can very quickly option up a car to cost a boat load of money. The Carrera GT paint and Terra Cotta interior alone will add several thousands to the bottom line. And the PCCBs are a big chunk of change.

Bob Kenney said:
Porsche builds a great car, I had a Boxster and Boxster-S before purchasing my 92 NSX. I feel the NSX is much more car for my taste, everything about it suits me. My approach was a little different, given the fact I like to build/modify cars as a hobby. The Porsches did not lend themselves to this as easily as the NSX does, I like turn my own wrenches. I have modified the engine, drive train and suspension on the NSX while retaining the stock body configuration. To date, including the purchase price of the car, I have not spent the cost of purchasing a new Boxster.
This adventure has proven so rewarding I have purchased a 2nd 92 NSX and am starting the process anew with a slightly different goal in mind. I have test driven several other cars, new and used, and have not found any that suit my needs as well as these 14 year old cars. With some modifications this performance platform can still run at today’s performance levels. I realize this route is not for everyone but speaks volumes about the quality of the NSX as it was 1st designed:biggrin:
The Cayman-S compared to a new 2005 NSX maybe a better value comparing $ to performance but as for deep built-quality only time will tell.
Just my thoughts about the route I have taken:wink:

Bob

Bob - I have a 91 and been thinking about getting a 97+ but don't really want to pay the extra money - I always get worried about adding mods to cars especially an expensive car such as the NSX - what have you done to really make it compete with today's cars - (especially in the low torque department) - without hurting the reliability of the car/engine

WingZ said:

In regards to performance, I think that most of the acceleration tests are showing similar performance of the two cars (as youd expect). But the Cayman S destroyed the 3.2L NSX on the 'ring. Ive taken much issue with the NSX's time as it appears to be dramatically slower than it should be, but if you believe the two times, the NSX's going to get whopped badly on a road course.

Ive priced one, and if you pass on the brakes, for a better optioned one than a stock NSX (with the Pcar getting NAV), youre going to pay slightly more then you would for a new NSX AFAIK.

I love the look of that Cayman above - what does that one price out at? Cayman S plus $30K?

Da Hapa said:
Acceleration is slightly better than the NSX (sub 5 seconds to 60, low 13's in the quarter at 105+ mph).

Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought that the average time for a 3.2L NSX in the 1320 was 13.2/13.3 @ 106/107 with some breaking 13.0's out?

Ive seen 13.3s for the Cayman S.

About par Id say, no?

Da Hapa said:
Yes, several auto mag's have done instrumented testing on the Cayman S. Acceleration is slightly better than the NSX (sub 5 seconds to 60, low 13's in the quarter at 105+ mph). Lateral grip is better (0.9g+), braking distances are better too as are the slalom speed. In truth, that's all magazine racing as the average driver would likely not be able to tell the difference.

However, my test drive did confirm (at least for me) the the P-car's 3.4L flat 6 does feel torquier at low to mid rev's but lacks the high end thrill of the 3.2L V6 in my NSX.

2) The car that I had on order was an arctic silver (extra$), with the standard Cayman S 18" wheels, sport chrono package, HID headlamps, upgraded Bose stereo, sport shifter and floor mats. I wanted the chrome exhaust tips but that wasn't yet available. That car prices out at about $70K give or take a bit (including tax (which is 7.75% where I live), license and registration. My dealer was not really willing to move much on MSRP.

However, like all P-cars you can very quickly option up a car to cost a boat load of money. The Carrera GT paint and Terra Cotta interior alone will add several thousands to the bottom line. And the PCCBs are a big chunk of change.

Great who tested it? I keep checking C&D , Motortrend , Road and Track ,but last I saw all they did was drive the car in Europe and give estimates. Yeah the one I priced was a little over $70k and I only paid $74k for my NSX. NSX just by rareness alone made it worth the money.

SPA_S2000 said:
In regards to performance, I think that most of the acceleration tests are showing similar performance of the two cars (as youd expect). But the Cayman S destroyed the 3.2L NSX on the 'ring. Ive taken much issue with the NSX's time as it appears to be dramatically slower than it should be, but if you believe the two times, the NSX's going to get whopped badly on a road course.

Ive priced one, and if you pass on the brakes, for a better optioned one than a stock NSX (with the Pcar getting NAV), youre going to pay slightly more then you would for a new NSX AFAIK.

I love the look of that Cayman above - what does that one price out at? Cayman S plus $30K?

What's the ring? I think cornering would be better on the Cayman as it looks to offer better wheel tire combo's. I may get flamed for this ,but I honestly don't think the stock NSX tire is that great
:eek:

'ring = nurburgring

Its the long road track that contains pretty much everyting from sweepers, to tight corners to long straights.

The 3.2L NSX time was 8:32
The S2000s time was 8:33

The Cayman S' time was 8:11
I think the new Z06 came in at 7:54

SPA_S2000 said:
'

Ouch. I feel a little sick now.

I too have seen the Cayman S at the dealership and must say I was very impressed with it's looks. It has some great lines that are even more evident in person. As I was checking it out, IMO, I couldn't help but think this should have been the next design evolution of the 911, not a new offering slotted between the Boxter and the 911. I have never been a fan of the 911's "rounded" rear end so I especially liked the way the roof of the Cayman flows into the rear of the car. Add factory twin turbo and AWD options and I'd be a happy camper!

RACERnsX said:
I too have seen the Cayman S at the dealership and must say I was very impressed with it's looks. It has some great lines that are even more evident in person. As I was checking it out, IMO, I couldn't help but think this should have been the next design evolution of the 911, not a new offering slotted between the Boxter and the 911. I have never been a fan of the 911's "rounded" rear end so I especially liked the way the roof of the Cayman flows into the rear of the car. Add factory twin turbo and AWD options and I'd be a happy camper!

Anyone know if they will twin turbo the Cayman?

SPA_S2000 said:
'ring = nurburgring

Its the long road track that contains pretty much everyting from sweepers, to tight corners to long straights.

Be careful with quoting times on the 'Ring as there are several configurations on the ring and weather conditions can dramatically impact times. I'm not saying that the Cayman isn't faster than the NSX but as a former S2000 owner (a 2001 and a 2002), I'm flabergasted that it would only be a second slower than the NSX. Don't get me wrong, the S is a great little car but my NSX is so much faster and quicker than my S that I can't believe it's only 1 second slower.

I ran a Boxster S the other night and there was no way he was keeping up with me. I hope the Cayman S has better perfomance than the Boxster S ,or I spend my money other places. Like a NA1 NSX with mods.

You are absolutely right, I owed a Boxster-S and the only way it would keep up with an NSX is if they both drove off a cliff at the same time; which would a terrible waste of an NSX:wink:

Bob

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of the NSX as a street car. However, unlike most of the people on this forum I'm into performance (If you haven't been to an open track in at least a year don't try to pretend your into performance). my daily driver is a 1991 NSX. My current track car is a Formula Mazda. I do take the NSX to the track once a year to play around. However, in 2009 I'm think of going back to using a street car as my full time track car and when you put an NSX and the price vs. performance into the equation, that NSX isn't competitive. Don't misunderstand. I would buy a $30K EVO over an early NSX just because it's faster. It must be a car that I at least like. I think a 2005 Boxster S would make a good street car and a better track car than the NSX. I'm currently holding out for a Z06. However, with 3 more seasons to go on the FM, I may change my mind, buy a 2002 NSX for the street and keep racing the FM.

Part of the think that has slightly tarnished the NSX for me is that the C5 Corvette (Hate it) looks somewhat like the NSX. I like exclusivity but the Corvette took some of that away. I used to own a Pantera. In some ways it reminds me of the NSX in that it's an exotic that never sold in great numbers (around 5,000 units in the US), didn't get a lot of improvement beyond cosmetics and finally died off due to a lack of interest from consumers.

The NSX is discontinued because people aren't interested in buying enough of them to make the business interesting for Acura. People aren't buying them because there are so many other interesting options. For a street car its worth every penny of $70K. For a performance car, its not worth anywhere near that money.

Da Hapa said:
Be careful with quoting times on the 'Ring as there are several configurations on the ring and weather conditions can dramatically impact times. I'm not saying that the Cayman isn't faster than the NSX but as a former S2000 owner (a 2001 and a 2002), I'm flabergasted that it would only be a second slower than the NSX. Don't get me wrong, the S is a great little car but my NSX is so much faster and quicker than my S that I can't believe it's only 1 second slower.

I totally agree - but the tough part is that there are two 3.2L NSX times around that. I loved my old S2000 also, and I believe that the two cars cannot even be compared (from any reasonable perspective), but the times are the times.

Wonder what a stock NSX runs at Laguna vs an S2000....

SPA_S2000 said:
I totally agree - but the tough part is that there are two 3.2L NSX times around that. I loved my old S2000 also, and I believe that the two cars cannot even be compared (from any reasonable perspective), but the times are the times.

Wonder what a stock NSX runs at Laguna vs an S2000....

Funny I alway's hear people say that the S2K shouldn't compare to an NSX on the track ,but they do. Of course I miss my S2K terribly and want an 06. Of course if I do this I know I won't drive my NSX that much. Honda makes great cars:biggrin:

Yeah, our NSX is for sale and once my wife went and saw the new Cayman, she seems hooked. Now we just have to find the time to go drive one at the dealership. I have had a few P-cars over the years, I have to admit I love the fact that the Cayman is mid-engined.
I do like the looks of the Techart Cayman with the silver wheels.

Back