• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cell phone internet questions

on mine the E means i am on Edge... (i keep 3g turned off till I need it since it sucks so much battery)...

Ok, I see a "U" and a small capital "E" right next to it. I assume I am running on 3g?

one letter is next to the signal strength bar which indicates which band the voice portion of the phone is operating on, the other is the data band. sounds like you're 3G for data if I recall the icons correctly (my 8525 is at the office and in the box ready to be shipped back)

Cingular 8925 (HTC Kaiser) should be available on 10/5. I'm loving my 8525 (with WM6) but this is THE phone I've really been waiting for. Hopefully pricing is good, I'm hearing $300-$400 with a 2 year contract extension, that's not bad at all.

Just checked, used 8525s are going for around $300 on eBay, that's basically my new 8925. Sweet!
More info on the 8925 here:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1251541&page=1&pp=15

It's basically an 8525 with GPS, a faster processor (still 400MHz but a different, quicker Qualcomm processor), more memory and WM6.

I currently work for T mobile and i just ordered my Blackberry Curve...i cant wait...wifi and UMA technology...and fastest coperate/push Email that iv'e seen out of all our other T mobile phones.. (not sure about other carrier's tho).....

BTW the 8525 seems to be the same phone we sell at T mobile called the HTC wing...from what i have seen, i am not impresssed by windows mobile products at all...most windows based phones would be good for the really tech savy people and people who like to "hack" their phones with 3rd party apps and media features....but for me... ill stick with my blackberry

Last edited:
I currently work for T mobile and i just ordered my Blackberry Curve...i cant wait...wifi and UMA technology...and fastest coperate/push Email that iv'e seen out of all our other T mobile phones.. (not sure about other carrier's tho).....

BTW the 8525 seems to be the same phone we sell at T mobile called the HTC wing...from what i have seen, i am not impresssed by windows mobile products at all...most windows based phones would be good for the really tech savy people and people who like to "hack" their phones with 3rd party apps and media features....but for me... ill stick with my blackberry

The Wing is the HTC Herald, the 8525 is the HTC Hermes. The new 8925 is the HTC Kaiser.

As I understand it, the Herald is very similar to the Hermes, but it's newer, thinner, but loses a camera and some CPU power. The Kaiser is very similar to the Hermes as well, but gains a GPS, more memory, better CPU (Qualcomm "dual cell" - 1 CPU for the radio, 1 for the device), 3mp camera (vs. 2mp on the other 2) and WM6 (though I was already running WM6 on my Hermes even though ATT never released it). It has some other small changes such as SIM card is external (no need to pop the back cover off or remove the battery to replace), supports up to 32meg microSD (once they're released), lights on the keyboard to show cap/func lock. It's also supposed to support faster HSDPA and it will be software upgradable to HSUPA when available.

Things I don't like about the 8925 vs the 8525
- ITS BACKWARDS!!! This is driving me crazy. The keyboard slides out to the right instead of to the left, and now the click/wheel is in the wrong spot. I HATE THIS.
- It really doesn't seem any faster than the 8525, and in some instances perhaps even a bit slower.
- It moves the two buttons from the top that I'm used down to the bottom and it removes one from the right side. It moved the PTT button that I had mapped to Microsoft Voice Command (if you haven't used this, once you do you can't live without it).

Bump...
I'm due to upgrade my phone next month. (Verizon will give me a whopping $50). I've been happy with the service.

I just want internet service so I can check email and Prime.

Anything new to consider? Or should I leave Verizon?

Any new recommendations on this?

I'm just looking for a good cell phone but with good internet access so I can surf CNN, hotmail (who am I kidding... it's really for Prime :biggrin: ).

No phone I've ever used has actually been any good to surf the web with (note I have not use the iPhone so can't say how that is). They're simply too slow (even with 3G), the screens are too small, they render poorly and the browsers all suck and have difficultly with anything beyond basic HTML (ie, not good with flash, javascript, AJAX, etc).

I'm on my second AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser/Tytn2), the screen cracked on the first one for no apparent reason (many reporting this issue, ATT tells you TOO BAD, MUST HAVE BEEN ABUSE, they wanted $600 to replace with a refurb. HA!).

No phone I've ever used has actually been any good to surf the web with (note I have not use the iPhone so can't say how that is). They're simply too slow (even with 3G), the screens are too small, they render poorly and the browsers all suck and have difficultly with anything beyond basic HTML (ie, not good with flash, javascript, AJAX, etc).

I guess I meant I wanted something I could use to check my email accounts and also Prime. It would come in handy to look up business phone numbers and locations too.

I hear Verizon is getting the HTC Touch phone this month. I may have to check it out.

email works extremely well on a windows mobile based phone, especially if you have exchange server, but it's not required. checking prime... that's a different story. i know some people here post from their phones, but i haven't used a phone yet that makes it fast and easy, and when posting i have issues with the controls working because of the php scripting that vbulletin uses.

Back