• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ceramic brake dilemma

I'm not defending, I just don't consider flow formed as cast. It's not the same process really. Of course forged is the best. No one is questioning that. It is easily a $2K difference though and if I choose two sets then it gets really pricey. I'm kind of tired if swapping tires for street/track

Last edited:
No need to defend either wheel Dave. Both have pros/cons and I own both and love both. My RS has already been previously repaired from a cracked barrel. CEs have been solid so far.
The RS is an ancient wheel and the RSii is their latest "cast" offering and is a lot stronger with a better design and FEA analysis over the design and build of the RS.

Last edited:
I was going to say that the RSII is most likely stronger but I didn't want to get yelled at... LOL

You know it is costly... as usual... but it's kind of fun. I am looking forward to trying to stuff an entirely new tire size on the car. What Billy suggested on his thread was a good look toward the future. 225/40/18 brings incredible options. I just look at the list and drool. So now I am starting a wheel search a new. Look at this Volk G25 with dark silver prism paint.

G25PR_01_zps3d720c9e.jpg

Last edited:
Dave where did you get your figure that a rotary forged wheel is 80% as strong as a forged wheel? Are you shooting from the hip? I really doubt that it would be as much as 80% but I may be wrong. If you think about the forging process there are ENORMOUS pressures involved in pressing the raw drum into a wheel blank (YouTube it) and there is just the minimum amount of material left but extremely dense. The grain structure of the metal is aligned against road forces, which is what rotary "forged" copies with their spinning process but without the huge pressure which creates a lot of strength. I think the RSII is a strong wheel because it is an efficient structural design with so many spokes and it copies wide flange beams for it's spoke sections which are also an extremely efficient structural shape, not because rotary forging yields comparable results to real forging. To do a proper comparison you would have to use the same exact wheel design with each method. I bet HRE has an idea because they released recently their flow formed line which have extremely similar designs to their original forged line. But we will probably never really know as it's the sellers that claim "comparable strength" but I haven't seen any hard data.

Last edited:
Nero I read that some place. Can't remember where. It was general, I am sure there are variations. Volk says 25-35% weight savings.

Well it is official my brand new TE37 super lap black editions do not fit over the brakes either. So we are in the same boat my NSX brethren

does wp offer any help on what wheels clear....or do they have a list of customers that you could talk to about the wheel specs.

No. There was no such list. But Brandon from GT Theory is trying to help Shaylor and I with a solution. The main issue presented to me at the time was a caliper to spoke clearance issue. I stated it would not be a problem (which it isn't). There was definitely some serious miscommunication going on. I will state I don't blame this on Brandon at all. He was out of the loop and we dealt with WP direct. Brandon has only been trying to be helpful no matter. Right now WP says some custom barrel 17's will clear. So I'm trying to get costs on that and then deciede what to do here. I'm going to try a 225/40/18 tire on the car this week. If it can fit, that opens up 18/19 options with many track tires.

I was going to mount a 225 on my 18x9 rear. The offset is wrong but it will still let me see many other things. If all those go well I might get an actual correct wheel. I'm guessing the offset needs to be around 40? Without having the ACTUAL wheel and tire mounted its tough to check all parameters. Not sure how to go about this because if I buy something and its wrong its a lot of wasted money. A local shop will let me "borrow" a 225.

You are probably going to run into a lot of issues with a 9" wheel and the wrong offset. Will the spokes clear? Will you even be able to put the car on the ground with that offset? You will probably run out of steering lock pending the offset.

RYU and I did a lot of test fitting and math. I'm afraid that test won't give you much information if it does not work.

What's the offset of your rear? I think an 8-8.5 would be a better fit.

No I understand that, my plan is not a 9, it's just that this is all I have to work with right now. Offset is 25. Yeah it's wrong. Could be a waste of time I guess but at least straight I could check to see what it may hit.

I don't know billy... What to do here? I don't want to buy $6000 worth of forged wheels and tires and have it be wrong. I almost ordered an enkei kojin... But they don't make a 19". I suppose I could stick with 18/18.

I should have had my tires by now but have been held up a few weeks now. You could wait for me to get my tires and have them test fit under DF fenders.

I have 2 18x8.5 TE37's in 35mm offset. I'll check my tires, if I have a 225/40 ill mount it on my black 98' on Zanardi springs and get some shots for you guys clearance wise.

I would appreciate it for a visual, but I think a 40 offset is needed on an 8.5 to fit under a DF fender. So I don't think it'll work under a stock fender.

TURBO2GO, any reason you didn't go with the MovIT CCB solution? (I haven't seen it mentioned here or elsewhere if it was ever discussed)

TURBO2GO, any reason you didn't go with the MovIT CCB solution? (I haven't seen it mentioned here or elsewhere if it was ever discussed)

No particular reason but the WP rotor is now at a bit more advanced stage than the Movit when I looked at it. We are into like third gen ceramic rotors now. The company that supplies these also supplies various hyper cars. Movits may have changed as well, but I felt comfortable with the actual rotors coming from WP. And that is the most expensive part. Plus they gave us a good deal since Shaylor and I are the first to try these on an NSX (in the U.S.)

- - - Updated - - -

I have 2 18x8.5 TE37's in 35mm offset. I'll check my tires, if I have a 225/40 ill mount it on my black 98' on Zanardi springs and get some shots for you guys clearance wise.

I would still LOVE to see this Chris. It would help a lot. I'm less worried about fender clearance and more about wheel well clearance.

Last edited:
Hey Dave.... I'm just curious... Do u think if u had 5mm more clearance you would be able to clear a 355mm bbk with the advan rs? Im asking because that would open up another wheel choice for 355mm bbk clearance.

Hey Dave.... I'm just curious... Do u think if u had 5mm more clearance you would be able to clear a 355mm bbk with the advan rs? Im asking because that would open up another wheel choice for 355mm bbk clearance.

Yes I do. My rotor is 362. 355 is 7mm closer in and I honestly think I only needed like 3. I can't guarantee anything though. My guess is yes it would clear. My wheel bolted up just couldn't quite go straight. Don't forget though Jerry it depends on the caliper. I'm only talking about the WP caliper.

Last edited:
The wp caliper is big... I'm thinking it might fit the pfc bbk... Caliper design wise it doesn't have the spikes.... It seems smaller caliper when compared to the wp bbk... Food for thought I guess

The wp caliper is big... I'm thinking it might fit the pfc bbk... Caliper design wise it doesn't have the spikes.... It seems smaller caliper when compared to the wp bbk... Food for thought I guess

The WP caliper itself is no taller than my stoptech. Those are more like cut outs than spikes.

Yes I do. My rotor is 362. 355 is 7mm closer in and I honestly think I only needed like 3. I can't guarantee anything though. My guess is yes it would clear. My wheel bolted up just couldn't quite go straight. Don't forget though Jerry it depends on the caliper. I'm only talking about the WP caliper.

Also remember you only gain 1/2 the difference of the overall diameter in additional clearance. 355 vs 362 you gain 3.5mm of clearance, not 7mm

Back