• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Changed tranny fluid and now gearbox feels knotch especially when cold

Just had tranny fluid changed with stock OEM fluid.
For some reason, the gearbox now feels very knotch and grinds when fast shifting.
Could this be from wrong type or amount of fluid used?

Last edited:
Did you use the white cap Honda manual transmission fluid? I change mine every oil change (overkill I know) but I find that it is very simple to do if you already have the car up in the air to change the oil. I've never had a problem with shifting after the fluid has been changed.

Steve

Well, I was told OEM fluid (white cap) was used with factory recommended 3qts.
Don't know what type of fluid it had previously but it shifted much better with zero grinds.

I know what your saying. Mine was and still is like that. Next time I'm going to try something else. I will go with a company who's only purpose is designing oil. Much more R and D if that is your only product.

Well, I was told OEM fluid (white cap) was used with factory recommended 3qts.
Don't know what type of fluid it had previously but it shifted much better with zero grinds.
Well, I guess you had something different before and maybe that oil was in the gearbox to overcome some issues and maybe got some things even worse.

do the cocktail, white cap doesnt feel the same. after i did the cocktail in NSX I went and did it in all my vehicles, and customers NSX's that come to my shop.

its 2 qts GM Sycromesh Friction Modified and 1 qt regular Gm Syncrmesh. your transmission shifting will feel like butter. once people try it they are sold on the idea.

you cant get it anywhere but a GM/Chevy type dealership

I'm surprised how different everyone's experience is. I put the white cap in my car (I think it had amsoil before) and I love the results.

I'm still on the fence on the GM stuff which it might affect the clutch type diff.

Update: Took the car out to track event this past weekend and the clutch hydraulic failed. So frustrating cuz I just had them replaced :(

Last edited:
I'm still on the fence on the GM stuff which it might affect the clutch type diff.

I'm not sure about you but I've always used what Comptech recommended with Redline MTL which I think may now be MT-90 manual transmission fluid. Stuff works great. Shifts are as smooth as ever and especially from 4th to 3rd and then from 3rd to 2nd when needed without any hesitation or resistance or grinding. I've done enough track events in all temperatures with this stuff and it works as promised. Give it a try.

Al Terpak

Back