• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

check engine light

Took the fun car for a joy ride today in this nice wheather.. but the car didnt feel right today.. the rpm was kind of sputtering going up to 4k rpm in every gear. Check engine light would come on and off. ANY IDEAS?

bad gas?
spark plugs?
relay?

Last edited:
Completely pointless thread without you pulling the codes. Then you could just search for those. Or read them in the wiki for pre-OBD II depending on year.

Last edited:
Not a pointless thread. Ethanol gas is bad for our motors. Expect poor performance with the winter blend fuel. I'm currently having the same issue in this Texas winter with the NSX and S2000.

Last edited:
its prob the gas, the gas trips the 02 sensors then check engine light comes on. I just had this problem.

after changing every part I could think of I then put in some 100 octane racing fuel Im on 2nd tank of race fuel tring to burn up all the old crap i got from the gas station not one issue, I was having hesitation between 2-3K rpm then it would kick in like a rocket, but after I filled up with race fuel
the prob was gone.

now race fuel is off the chain expensive if they sell it in your area. or try to find a gas station that sell non ethenol gas.

it funny gas prices were suppose to go down since they added the 10% filler fuel, then the price stayed the same,
all the ethenol does is give you more gas for your dollar, so basiclly...................

buy 1 gallon of milk and then get an empty jug of milk pour half of the milk into the empty jug till you have 2 half full gallons of milk

add water to the top of both and now you have 2 gallons of milk and guess what they are the same price

thats what the gov thought was a good idea. it kills lawn mowers, it turns the gas tanks of older boats into sludge by eating the fiberglass, it reduces fuel economy, it causes repairs to your car they normally wouldnt need to be replaced if useing gas with out ethenol crap.

My money is still on one or more of the rear bank coils. Bet the code will be "mis-fire". Could be a loose plug, too, I suppose. That would be nice.

Shawn I'm not getting your thing about more gas for my dollar. I am getting less gas for my dollar...around 9 tenths of a gallon plus a 10th gallon of ethonol, which in addition to being hard on some (mostly older) engine hardware also has a lower specific energy content. So I don't get to drive quite as far on that gallon.

My money is still on one or more of the rear bank coils. Bet the code will be "mis-fire". Could be a loose plug, too, I suppose. That would be nice.

Shawn I'm not getting your thing about more gas for my dollar. I am getting less gas for my dollar...around 9 tenths of a gallon plus a 10th gallon of ethonol, which in addition to being hard on some (mostly older) engine hardware also has a lower specific energy content. So I don't get to drive quite as far on that gallon.

I meant to say more liquid for your dollar LOL its not 100% real gasoline LOL sorry

Thanks VP. I'll check to see if those two WF establishments still sell 100% dinosaur fuel.

Back