• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Check out my Valentine 1 Stealth Install.....

The ideal set up would be for someone to build a console extension unit between the seats that would store the Radar detector at the top compartment, concealed and the rest of the unit could be additional storage. God knows we could use some additional storage. I used to have this set up in a 1992 MR2 Turbo. The detector works through plastic and glass, just not metal. It could be completely out of sight and the remote unit can be installed as descibed in this thread. Then everything would be stealth.

I thought i saw somewthing like that somewhere on this site but can't find it, none of the vendors offers anything like that. It may have been a one off custom interior, I just can't remember and can't find it. It could be an easy bolt on that could be removed to return the car to stock factory original condition. The Dali unit still exposes the detector and the cover that was sold a while back can't be aquired anymore but it also looks suspect, thrying to emulate a rear breal light.

Maybe someone who is so inclined can fabricate something like that; I certainly would buy it. Anyone else?

Tytus

The ideal set up would be for someone to build a console extension unit between the seats that would store the Radar detector at the top compartment, concealed and the rest of the unit could be additional storage. God knows we could use some additional storage. I used to have this set up in a 1992 MR2 Turbo. The detector works through plastic and glass, just not metal. It could be completely out of sight and the remote unit can be installed as descibed in this thread. Then everything would be stealth.

I thought i saw somewthing like that somewhere on this site but can't find it, none of the vendors offers anything like that. It may have been a one off custom interior, I just can't remember and can't find it. It could be an easy bolt on that could be removed to return the car to stock factory original condition. The Dali unit still exposes the detector and the cover that was sold a while back can't be aquired anymore but it also looks suspect, thrying to emulate a rear breal light.

Maybe someone who is so inclined can fabricate something like that; I certainly would buy it. Anyone else?

Tytus

YES! That's the ideal install ...

I've been wanting to do the clock install for years, have parts...just haven't gotten to it. Closest I've come is tapping into the clock's power and feeding a short power cord out of between the clock and dash to feed the window-mounted V1.

You should trim the top and bottom edges of the face of the display so you can see all of the lights once it's mounted in the clock housing.
V1Clock-vi.jpg

Can you trim the face and keep (or reinstall) the red plastic...so it's not so visible during the day?

I've also wondered if I'd be able to crack open the concealed display and wire it up (have it complete the circuit that the little button on the concealed display completes) so the clock's "display" button would be the "mute/mode" button on the V1. Obviously not a substitute for the remote volume/power/etc...but would provide a nice big button within line of sight.

The ideal set up would be for someone to build a console extension unit between the seats that would store the Radar detector at the top compartment, concealed and the rest of the unit could be additional storage. God knows we could use some additional storage. I used to have this set up in a 1992 MR2 Turbo. The detector works through plastic and glass, just not metal.

Only if the plastic is clear or, if tinted, allows the right wavelengths through or it would kill laser detection.

Oh, I'm now remembering why I haven't gotten to this install yet. My idea for a good "main unit" install would be on top of the engine cover, under plastic flocked with the same flock as the engine cover and designed with appropriate contours (so it looks like part of the engine cover to the NSX-unfamiliar eye), open (or with red filter) to the front/back for laser detection. I've been unable to find flock that exactly matches the stock engine cover.

Last edited:
The best part of this mount location is that it’s not only invisible from the rear, sides or front but it’s got a prime viewing angle. It’s about 2” below the rear view mirror and has a clear line of sight out the front and rear windshields for the sensors to work. An added bonus is I hand crafted the mount out of 3/8” ABS and designed it to require NO HOLES or screws to be used!

(snip)

Unit is securely mounted on custom abs bracket:
v1mount_1.jpg

Reminds me of the old Dali Racing mount, which I've always liked in concept. Would be perfect if the horizontal piece broke away easily (don't want my body to impact fixed metal in side-impact collision, would like to be able to quickly remove to conceal main unit if pulled over or otherwise want to remove).

Doesn't the hump on the engine cover block the line of sight for the rear sensor?

Ben, it sure looks that way but for some odd reason it works just fine. I was driving on the highway and it clearly showed when the police was behind me and closing FAST! :)

A simple solution if this bothers you is just remove the rear OEM engine cover. Most prime members don't use the oem engine cover anyways :) I think I'm the only guy who likes the oem cover since it stores my targa top. It's quite heavy though so even I may consider removing it down the road.

I could easily craft a mounting aparatus INSIDE the engine bay but I must ask WHY WHY if it works so well inside the cabin? Heat and dust can't be good for the electronics!

latzke: You don't need dual repetitive mute buttons unless you just want to create more work. The remote volume unit has a mute button and volume control that can easily be reached in my install which falls right onto my right hand near the shifter console.

I can see my display just fine and the reverse arrow does light up enough for me to see it's coming from the rear. I could easily modify the clock unit to show the entire display but..........remember my main goal!

OBJECT OF THIS INSTALL IS TO NOT DO ANY PERMANENT DAMAGE TO THE CAR WITHOUT DRILLING, SANDING OR CUTTING ANYTHING.

My setup is fully removeable as nothing was touched :biggrin::cool:

rk

Doesn't the hump on the engine cover block the line of sight for the rear sensor?

Ben, it sure looks that way but for some odd reason it works just fine.

While it likely doesn't impact radar reception enough to matter, it likely significantly impacts laser reception (which requires the lazer to hit the sensor directly or after bouncing off something shiny like paint). I suppose laser from behind is rarely if ever used in practice by the fuzz...so maybe a non-issue.

While it likely doesn't impact radar reception enough to matter, it likely significantly impacts laser reception (which requires the lazer to hit the sensor directly or after bouncing off something shiny like paint). I suppose laser from behind is rarely if ever used in practice by the fuzz...so maybe a non-issue.

I find the laser warning practically worthless. If I'm getting hit by laser it only lets me know that I have been tagged. This is not a jammer so it is of little value. I have been hit by laser and there is nothing you can do about it except pull over sooner and take your punishment. Stray signals are very rare in our neck of the woods for it to be of any value as a warning.

Radar goes through all the plastic so it's not an issue.

If someone made a cosole extension they can still incorporate a platic window front and rear so it is 100% functional.

Where can we post this "Radar mount console extension" wish list to get it made?

Tytus

OBJECT OF THIS INSTALL IS TO NOT DO ANY PERMANENT DAMAGE TO THE CAR WITHOUT DRILLING, SANDING OR CUTTING ANYTHING.

My setup is fully removeable as nothing was touched :biggrin::cool:
rk

I very much respect this point of view. To me a big part of the challenge and fun of modding a car is figuring out and executing a way to do it tastefully, stealthfully, and without causing irrevocable harm to the car. Kudos on a great job.

No, it's facing the correct way, but the rear sensor is blocked by the engine cover.

I have the invis-mirror deal from apexcone. The whole setup is great, but the laser IS blocked by my targa cover. I had to turn it a little for it work and not go crazy, it's QUITE annoying. I'm having another bracket made to raise the detector.

DSC00879.jpg

DSC00881.jpg

I've been wanting to do the clock install for years, have parts...just haven't gotten to it. Closest I've come is tapping into the clock's power and feeding a short power cord out of between the clock and dash to feed the window-mounted V1.

Can you trim the face and keep (or reinstall) the red plastic...so it's not so visible during the day?

I've also wondered if I'd be able to crack open the concealed display and wire it up (have it complete the circuit that the little button on the concealed display completes) so the clock's "display" button would be the "mute/mode" button on the V1. Obviously not a substitute for the remote volume/power/etc...but would provide a nice big button within line of sight.

Only if the plastic is clear or, if tinted, allows the right wavelengths through or it would kill laser detection.

Oh, I'm now remembering why I haven't gotten to this install yet. My idea for a good "main unit" install would be on top of the engine cover, under plastic flocked with the same flock as the engine cover and designed with appropriate contours (so it looks like part of the engine cover to the NSX-unfamiliar eye), open (or with red filter) to the front/back for laser detection. I've been unable to find flock that exactly matches the stock engine cover.

That's a really great flocking idea Craig:D

I've fabricated a few of these v1 covers for nsxprime members - perhaps they can chime in and post up what they have!

Visit our site or email us if you want something custom made! :) IF there is enough request we can build it.

this is what we have so far:

Display unit option hidden in B-pillar:

http://www.euroboutique.us/store_v1_Remote.html

Mounting platform:

http://www.euroboutique.us/store_nsx_v1.html

How does the mounting platform attach, also with industrial adhesive? I wouldn't be crazy about having to use that on a trim piece for fear of making an irreversible modification to the car.

I really like the mounting platform concept, it would be even better if you designed a cover for it similar to the dali "fake third brake light" (I don't have good enough luck to consider ordering from Dali). I would also like to see some type of removeable bracket to make it easier to move the V1 between different cars. Velcro would work, but I'd prefer a more elegant solution. I'm picky, I know, thats why I drive an nsx:)

One other note, in the picture of your mount it appears to be a coupe engine cover. The engine cover is slightly taller for targa models, wonder if your mount gives the V1 enough height to see rear radar well?

How does the mounting platform attach, also with industrial adhesive? I wouldn't be crazy about having to use that on a trim piece for fear of making an irreversible modification to the car.

Well said, couldn't agree more, this entire V1 platform is held in place be 3M double sided tape and can be removed anytime with no damage to the car! :biggrin:

I really like the mounting platform concept, it would be even better if you designed a cover for it similar to the dali "fake third brake light" (I don't have good enough luck to consider ordering from Dali). I would also like to see some type of removeable bracket to make it easier to move the V1 between different cars. Velcro would work, but I'd prefer a more elegant solution. I'm picky, I know, thats why I drive an nsx:)

The V1 is held in place by velcro so I can easily switch the unit between each of my cars (they all have the v1 hardwire setup with remote display) but I only keep one main unit for cost savings. We have built a full cover for a few nsx clients so PM me exactly what you want and I can make it.

One other note, in the picture of your mount it appears to be a coupe engine cover. The engine cover is slightly taller for targa models, wonder if your mount gives the V1 enough height to see rear radar well?

No the one you see in my pictures are from my 2004 targo and it works just fine for rear detection. We can move the bracket higher up if needed but so far it's worked just fine for our road trips.

v1mount_1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like an A-pillar...and I hope I'm right. :wink:

Yes A-pillar is one of many solutions.....

I've decided to do a new twist on my latest double din install and will be integrating the V1 display along with my Audison Bit.1 unit into a very unique fiberglass mount. Anything is possible if you throw enough money/labor into it and I'm about to find out how much this new idea will cost me! :redface:

so with the remote display plugged in, does the main unit still light up? I'm sure the ppl driving behind u would love to see the alerts too ....... hah ;)

so with the remote display plugged in, does the main unit still light up? I'm sure the ppl driving behind u would love to see the alerts too ....... hah ;)

hey bud, the default by V1 is that the main unit goes dark / blank once the remote display is plugged in so it prevents exactly what you just described :)

Ideally the remote display needs to mounted where your line of sight is so you do not take your eyes off the road for more than a split second.

The A-pillar location is really ideal since we normally scan our mirrors while driving. Embedding it into the rearview mirror is another ideal location. The NSX clock location is ideal because it's so far up near the center of the dash.

I've done over 50+ installs for V1's over the years and the WORST possible place is to put it near your ashtray on BMW's since it would require you to look DOWN and totally take your eyes off the road. The NSX's dash is quite friendly in terms of line of sight :)

rick

Back