• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Checked out this 1991 NSX, 2974 miles, red/black, manual JH4NA1157MT000843

-
I have been searching for the "perfect" NSX for over ten years... lurking on prime just as long :)
I was in the last stages of purchasing this mint, original owner 1991 NSX and then I opted for an extremely nice and local NA2
Went to Miami and spent two days inspecting this NSX and talked over the finer points and the history with Don
Posting here as a courtesy to him and because I feel its a very rare find for the NSX community
If I could buy both cars, I would have... I have no monetary interest in this vehicle or its sale, just want to make sure Primer's know about it

-
Original owner and NY title from 2-10-1991
True bone stock survivor that has been on blocks and covered in a warehouse for 18 years
1991 Acura NSX - Red w/ Black interior - Manual 5 speed
Miles: 2,974 (Two thousand nine hundred and seventy four point six, and the condition absolutely reflects this mileage)
VIN: JH4NA1157MT000843
Title: Clear
It is NOT in snap ring range, transmission # is J4A4-1001315

Exterior condition : 11 out of 11
It needs a bath. Examined every inch of it, couldn't find any scratches anywhere, all panels line up perfectly and shows no evidence of touch up or non-factory paint, once its clean, I would expect it to be showroom

Interior condition : 11 out of 11 (with exception noted below)
The driver door inside panel is off because the power window motor broke the plastic piece
Don never had time to put it back together and therefore the driver's door panel and parts are wrapped in plastic
It may need a new window regulator motor and a pair of Dali fix it window thingies

Mechanical condition : needs age-related rehab, the engine compartment and undercarriage are immaculate and factory clean, it looks brand new
The vehicle has the original factory oil, it has never had an oil change, per the owner
The vehicle has old gasoline in the tank, lines, injectors and thus does not start, starter turns over fine though
-expect to replace all fluids, fuel injectors, flush the lines and tank, battery, tires, and trunk & hatch struts
-a new owner will likely want to replace all the hoses, TB/WP, and give it a really long bath and detail job

Attachments

• Odometer2.JPG
    Odometer2.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_7981.JPG
    IMG_7981.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_7983.JPG
    IMG_7983.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_7982.JPG
    IMG_7982.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_7984.JPG
    IMG_7984.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_7991.JPG
    IMG_7991.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_7988.JPG
    IMG_7988.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_7990.JPG
    IMG_7990.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 311
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Checked out this 1991 NSX, 2974 miles, red/black, manual

My question is why? Why did Don let it sit? Is there a piston engine tech or curator on this board that can say why all the gaskets and seals would still be perfectly good on an engine and hydraulic systems that sat unused for 18 years?

Re: Checked out this 1991 NSX, 2974 miles, red/black, manual

Why did Don let it sit?

He started a small business when they moved to Miami and stayed very busy over the years.

Is there a piston engine tech or curator on this board that can say why all the gaskets and seals would still be perfectly good on an engine and hydraulic systems that sat unused for 18 years?

Thats a fine question, certainly one that I considered more than a few times.

No matter how you look at it the owner made a mistake as in that is not the way to take care of a car - that is just not smart. Poor treatment of a very expensive investment. Otherwise if your not going to drive it or maintain it - sell the damn thing.

I hate to say it but the OP made a wise decision letting this one go. Unless he was going to get a great deal - even then that car is going to need a thorough going thru and needs to be towed to a really good mechanic.

Too bad - many real car guys won't touch a car like this. Not as a driver. Oh well.

I've been a nissan guy for 25 years, driving the z cars, and Ive come across this with a 1991 300z twin turbo, 2500 miles. It sat for 18 years and when I pulled the gas tank out, looked at the fuel lines, it was apparent the engine was fubar. The oil turns to a sludge/acid that rots away the case. That car will need a full engine rebuild at least bottom side, and of course all injectors, gaskets replaced. Walk away from this one.

Pointless if not detrimental purchase if you plan on ever using it. 18 year old gas destroys every thing it touches due to corrosion and the lack of oil changes is due to laziness-not per the owner's meticulous upkeep. I have no idea what the side effects are from leaving oil in the engine for 18 years but I wouldn't be surprised if it kills the motor. A high level of acidity could damage the surface of the internals after enough years. For <100$ a year he could have changed out the gasoline (would last close to that with stabilizer) and oil and ran the car for a hundred miles at the same time. It would probably be in decent working condition with very similar mileage if he had done that; and worth at least 10,000$ more.

Last edited:
Exactly the kind of information this post needed,
thanks for sharing your experiences and informed opinions here on Prime.
I'm thinking someone with a shop, lots of time, and more than a few bucks could end up with an interesting "project rehab" car.

...Pointless if not detrimental purchase if you plan on ever using it. 18 year old gas destroys every thing it touches due to corrosion and the lack of oil changes is due to laziness-not per the owner's meticulous upkeep...

...The oil turns to a sludge/acid that rots away the case. That car will need a full engine rebuild at least bottom side, and of course all injectors, gaskets replaced. Walk away from this one...

I've been thinking about this car for a while now. My first impressions haven't really changed but this is not a lost cause by any means. I mean guys- we don't know the climate conditions of the storage for one.

I just watched a "Chassing Classic Cars" episode with Wayne Carini and it featured (actually a rerun) a Dino Ferrari stored for over 11 years in a tent outside and after a few bits of prep, etc. and testing to make sure that the engine had not siezed up - they cranked the car! So all this stuff about completely ruined engine cause gasoline may have touched something - well I doubt this car is a hopeless case. Matter of fact I bet this car could be brought back to life with less than 5k and driven.

If I had the funds to fly around and look at stuff like this like some of Wayne's clients do I'd have to check this out. ----closely.

Anyone asked a real mechanic about this car? Like Larry B or Barney or Eiffel? I sure would before I threw in the towel. Even if you shipped the car to a shop - so what - we're talking about an almost brand new car here.

My 2 cents on this issue. No way is this junk!

covered in a dry dusty Miami warehouse.

barn finds are great on rare collectable cars,not on ones that go for 25k all day.But stored indoors in a dry place is good....just needs love.

barn finds are great on rare collectable cars,not on ones that go for 25k all day.But stored indoors in a dry place is good....just needs love.

Ummm Doc, now I agree in general terms with you but this is not your average barn find clapped out turd. I hardly think this falls into your 25k catagory.

I do agree that this car needs love but to say it can't be rectified with no more than a few thousand is probably incorrect but more so - if for example you had a fully sorted 91 with 2700 miles on it - just what do you think that might be worth. Personally I think it's off the usual "chart". If you could keep it a few years I believe you would surely get your "money" out of it and then some.

Like I say if I had the place to put it and had sold my current car - I'd buy it if I could work out a few "details".

Again - my 2 cents...

Ummm Doc, now I agree in general terms with you but this is not your average barn find clapped out turd. I hardly think this falls into your 25k catagory.

I do agree that this car needs love but to say it can't be rectified with no more than a few thousand is probably incorrect but more so - if for example you had a fully sorted 91 with 2700 miles on it - just what do you think that might be worth. Personally I think it's off the usual "chart". If you could keep it a few years I believe you would surely get your "money" out of it and then some.

Like I say if I had the place to put it and had sold my current car - I'd buy it if I could work out a few "details".

Again - my 2 cents...

I'm not brave enough to "invest" in the nsx,the stock market is more to my likeing.I'm not disagreeing with the general thought that "ultra low milage' deserves a price premium..I'm just intoning that the vast majority of prime readers are not shopping in that universe.

I'm not brave enough to "invest" in the nsx,the stock market is more to my likeing.I'm not disagreeing with the general thought that "ultra low milage' deserves a price premium..I'm just intoning that the vast majority of prime readers are not shopping in that universe.

The world is larger than the prime reader list....

Come on Doc! This car is perfect. It needs love as stated but just think. I you have to go through it why not just do like I did and cut her up and build a race car?:biggrin:

Come on Doc! This car is perfect. It needs love as stated but just think. I you have to go through it why not just do like I did and cut her up and build a race car?:biggrin:

Lol now Shad has you helping to pry my wallet open:tongue:

Wouldn't touch this car unless I was planning a complete refresh of the engine and every rubber hose, gasket, o-ring, bushing, etc. I agree with sahtt's statement 100%. Tim, I saw that episode of "Chasing Classic Cars" also and that Dino did at least start (and blew all of the walnuts out of the exhaust) so they could drive it on the trailer, unlike this NSX. Didn't know if you also caught later on in the show that they completely rebuilt that engine and just about everything else on that car. Your basic 100 point restoration there---

Wouldn't touch this car unless I was planning a complete refresh of the engine and every rubber hose, gasket, o-ring, bushing, etc. I agree with sahtt's statement 100%. Tim, I saw that episode of "Chasing Classic Cars" also and that Dino did at least start (and blew all of the walnuts out of the exhaust) so they could drive it on the trailer, unlike this NSX. Didn't know if you also caught later on in the show that they completely rebuilt that engine and just about everything else on that car. Your basic 100 point restoration there---

I saw that and I know what your saying here but that car had 29,000 miles on it too and was much much older as in 40 years old approximatel and maybe a smidge older.

This car on the other hand is hard to peg without a real thorough review by a good mechanic. I could be the injectors are cleaned or replaced and the lines replaced and the car runs fine. There are ways to look at this engine to assess that without thinking that it has to be completely torn down and rebuilt.

Not to mention the Dino was going to one of Waynes clients that wanted it completely rebuilt - now wonder what they did to "completely rebuild" that engine - you think they replace pistons, rings, valves, chains, bearings - I very much doubt it and you can be sure that would not be necessary with a car engine (HONDA) with 2600 miles on it. If it was torn down I bet it would look brand new. I wouldn't authorize that if it were mine I can tell you that. I might replace the hoses, the timing belt but not the WP, do a 60k service, all fluids, and IF the injectors could not be salvaged - replace them, check the radiator - etc., replace all the fuel lines, perhaps the gas tank - most likely rusted, the fuel pump and crank it and see how it ran for a while - oh and check the calipers to make sure they aren't sticking - may need a rebuild. I would surely not immediately think it needed every seal and o ring replaced but it may but doubtful. Who knows without a thorough inspection - one that I don't believe was done.

Listen - I did a lot of work for 5k to mine when I bought it - apply 5k to this car and see what you get. If my prescription worked and all you had in it was 5 to 7k - do you think it might be worth 37k? I bet it would.

Heck - let's look at this way - let's just say this car had been maintained and operated periodically, stored just right, whatever it would take to assure it's proper working condition and say it was in perfect operating order - what do you think a car with 2700 miles on it would be worth?

I'm asking a question here. All I'm saying is that this car may not need nearly what anyone thinks it does. Look at the blue car in the fix it section brought back from the dead with film applied - do you think this car would need anything like that?

Let's not jump to too many conclusions here guys. Some may *think* the car is shot. How many of those *some* have acutally had an inspection done on an NSX with low mileage that sat? Being a bench mechanic is almost as bad as being a bench racer.

I'd love to get my hands on that car and wash it. :biggrin:

Back