• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Choosing an iPod Adapter for your oem NSX Stereo - the condensed version.

NEW iPHONE G3S PROBLEM....
I plugged in my brand new 16 gig iPhone and a message came up saying this accessory wasn't proper for this phone type of thing.
It asks if I want to go into Airplane mode to reduce the noise.........
So there is something wrong here.
Sh....t
Let me know what to do when you guys figure it out.
Trev

I think this is normal with the USA SPEC interface and iPhones. It also does this with my iPhone 3G and I just click 'No' whenever the message comes up. As long as everything still works fine you should be set.

nice... please keep us updated... :)

An update on my iPhone 3G high pitched noise issue... The replacement cable that USA SPEC provided me did not solve the problem. I contacted them and they agreed to do some testing with other cables they have in stock and will be sending me another cable today. Apparently, they have been having a lot of similar issues with the interface cable and the iPhone 3G...

I'm really crossing my fingers and and hoping that this new cable doesn't create the high pitched noise with the iPhone...

I'll post the results once I get the 2nd replacement cable.

So... I received the 2nd replacement cable from USA Spec and it STILL doesn't fix the issue and I hear the high pitched noise / whine when using my iPhone 3G.

I was fed up and returned the whole unit back to AudioSavings for a full refund.

I ordered the Grom Audio unit and upon install the iPhone charges but the NSX Radio doesn't recognize it at all when I switch to CD mode as instructed. Anyone have this issue?

I must have the worst luck with iPod interfaces!!

Oh...Like me with clutches!!!
We should get together for a drink sometime!
I'll pick up the lady thats really a trany!
T-bone

i did the ipod change a few weeks back and discovered that
" charging is not supported with this accessory "

i have the usa spec PA11-HON (with 8 pin both ends)
apple nano 8GB (purchased july 7 09)

it plays all the playlists and works fine just dies after 4-5 days

Would anyone know if it might be the i-pod i purchased or could it be a problem with the PA11-HON interface ????

thanks

marty

p.s. your write up jett was perfect it took longer to remove old cd changer than have everything set up and working thanks

So... I received the 2nd replacement cable from USA Spec and it STILL doesn't fix the issue and I hear the high pitched noise / whine when using my iPhone 3G.

I was fed up and returned the whole unit back to AudioSavings for a full refund.

I ordered the Grom Audio unit and upon install the iPhone charges but the NSX Radio doesn't recognize it at all when I switch to CD mode as instructed. Anyone have this issue?

I recently installed the USA Spec without any difficulties at all... works fine with my iphone 3g... plays, charges, streams pandora...

the fact that two different manufacturers devices will not work properly with your set up makes me wonder if the problem lies on your end... ie is your cd cable bad? pins bent./broken? did you have a functioning cd changer working before this?

If you are connecting behind the driver's seat, perhaps you could try connecting directly to the HU, or making sure the HU end of the cd cable is tightly inserted.

edit: I reread the post and found that you are installing in the trunk. You might want to try connecting it behind the drivers seat or to the HU. There is a connection behind the driver's seat that you might want to check and make sure that the cd cable is properly seated.

Lastly, maybe someone else can plug their iphone in, just to make sure it isnt your iphone....

I sure wish you luck!

selwyn

Last edited:
The cartridge for the cd player was missing when i bought the car 2 months ago so i decided to try this. I guess it could be the cord in the trunk...but all other functions on the radio controll the i-pod how they are suposted to. Maybe just one bad wire i guess. I'll try the cord behind the driver tonight.

thanks

marty

nope tryed the connector behind the left side of drives head and still same problem. "charging not supported with this accessory"

i'll try different i-pod tommorow.

i did the ipod change a few weeks back and discovered that
" charging is not supported with this accessory "

i have the usa spec PA11-HON (with 8 pin both ends)
apple nano 8GB (purchased july 7 09)

it plays all the playlists and works fine just dies after 4-5 days

Would anyone know if it might be the i-pod i purchased or could it be a problem with the PA11-HON interface ????

thanks

marty

p.s. your write up jett was perfect it took longer to remove old cd changer than have everything set up and working thanks

I had a similar issue with mine. the issue seems to be the ipod nano Gen4 (chromatic) I found powering off the ipod and on again will get the charge started. Another ipod nano Gen2 never had the issue. Try an older ipod just to see the result.

thanks warren

i have tried turning off and on the i-pod a few times and it didn't seem to help. I'll wait till i find someone with an older i-pod and try that. Funny thing is none of my friends have i-pods thay all have mp3 or blackberrys.

i have a nephew who visits every 2/3 months and he always brings his i-pod with him. I'll wait till his next visit untill then i'll keep charging on my computer or i'll head out to a pawn shop or something for an old i-pod

thanks

marty

Dizzy, I think maybe your charging problem may be that you have a newer iPod paired with an older PA-11 HON adapter. The reason why an old cable won't charge a new iPod is because Apple changed the charging pin in the dock connector of the latest generation iPods. But I think your adapter will still work just fine and doesn't need to be replaced. I think the solution to the charging problem is to get a new cable from USA-Spec. Their new cables have charging pins in two spots, both for the older Apple devices as well as the newer Apple devices. If your only problem is charging, I think getting the new cable will clear your problem right up.

An older ipod will probably work fine with your adapter, as it would have the charging pin located so as to match your older cable. But to use your particular iPod with the older adapter (which again, should still work just fine and I don't think needs to be replaced) get the newer cable from USA-Spec.

Last edited:
Ya, just call them, they are great to talk to on the phone!
Just have all your info ready for the conversation.
Trev

An example of the desirable latest version USA-Spec PA11-HON. .....as well as the blue 14-pin square (wrong) connector on one end

Hi does anyone know the cable coding for the blue square connector - specifically which wires cary live & ground - I want to use these to power a satellite radio which I will plug into the PA11-HON using the 'aux in' facility.

Many thanks.
:)

Be careful with this - I don't know which satellite receiver you have, but many satellite receivers use 5 volts or 6 volts, different from the iPod voltage. My recommendation would be to use a separate power source dedicated to the satellite receiver, making sure to match the voltage required by your satellite receiver. Depending on which receiver you have, these are available through the manufacturer of your particular receiver. Or you could hardware the cigarette lighter adapter into your car and bury it under the car stereo in the dash. The cigarette lighter adapters step the voltage down to the correct voltage required by the satellite receiver. In either case, you can tap into the accessory terminals of the underdash fuse box.

I have a Delphi Roady XT satellite receiver attached to the second terminal of my own adapter, so I have some personal experience with this.

Last edited:
Be careful with this - I don't know which satellite receiver you have, but many satellite receivers use 5 volts or 6 volts, different from the iPod voltage. My recommendation would be to use a separate power source dedicated to the satellite receiver, making sure to match the voltage required by your satellite receiver. Depending on which receiver you have, these are available through the manufacturer of your particular receiver. Or you could hardware the cigarette lighter adapter into your car and bury it under the car stereo in the dash. The cigarette lighter adapters step the voltage down to the correct voltage required by the satellite receiver. In either case, you can tap into the accessory terminals of the underdash fuse box.

I have a Delphi Roady XT satellite receiver attached to the second terminal of my own adapter, so I have some personal experience with this.

Hi Jett,

Many thanks for the warning!

I had realised this however, and yes, my Satellite reciever is 5v, input through a mini usb plug.

My plan is to pick up power from the blue square plug, but wired in a cigarette lighter socket, use the plug supplied with the radio with its built in step-down hardware. All hopefully buried behing the rear panels or centre speaker - does this sound like a safe plan to you?

Just need to know + / - feed locations in the blue plug!

:)

Last edited:
Tapping into the blue plug seems like it would be a lot of effort for an uncertain outcome - my advice would be to just tap into the accessory terminals under the dash and power the cigarette lighter adapter off of them, and be done with it. Bury the cigarette lighter adapter behind and below the oem stereo, there is a large open space under there where you could even locate your USA-Spec adapter, that is where both my cigarette lighter adapter and USA-Spec adapter are buried. Be sure to connect and route cables to the two USA-Spec inputs, then doublecheck your cables to make sure all of them are securely inserted before you close up the dash. It would be a pain to have to go back in there just to push a cable in tighter.

Last edited:
The only way to shuffle play would be to connect the iPod to the second adapter input on the USA-Spec PA11-HON and control the iPod manually, but then you (at least temporarily, until you reconnect to the iPod dock connector) give up head-unit control and charging.

Last edited:

Are you cycling through the options, USB, AUX, Ipod using the next track button? ( Voice prompts )

I'm using Grom without much issue, ipod not iphone, and every once in a while I have to cycle the radio on or run through the input options to get it to hook up. Plus the folder or play list setup is important.

Just a thought...

The only way to shuffle play would be to connect the iPod to the second adapter input on the USA-Spec PA11-HON and control the iPod manually, but then you (at least temporarily, until you reconnect to the iPod dock connector) give up head-unit control and charging.

Isn't there a button on the OEM head unit that puts the ipod into shuffle mode? I use it all the time on my car. I think it is the "select" button. Its a small button on the right with a tiny orange light.

Back