• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Choosing an iPod Adapter for your oem NSX Stereo - the condensed version.

My recommendation would be to install it like warrenw did behind the seats. There is a place there to plug it in behind the driver's head. Mount the adapter in the center along the "spine" of the center speaker hump somewhere, then cut two small holes, one in the back of the center console (hidden from sight) and the other directly behind that one in the center speaker hump (also hidden from sight) to run the iPod cable into the center console. Get the right rubber grommets and choose your hole size carefully, and you will have an invisible installation, yet have easy access to the iPod, plus adjustable cable length. It is real easy - remove the horizontal panel behind the driver's head for access - pretty much a screwdriver and drill job. You could do this job easily in one hour.

Warrenw has the best installation I have seen, including my own.
I've installed mine behind my head using some massive double-sided padded tape. Even with autocrosses, it does not move.

I found that you do not have to drill the second hole in the center speaker hump- only the one in the center console. There's enough room to route the cable behind the center speaker trim on the driver's side to come out right behind the center console. You do lose a bit of the ability to move the cable in and out (mine moves about 6" total), as you need to coil the cable between the center console and trim to give that ability, and there's not much room there.

Have any of you guys used the Smartenna in conjunction with the Ipod adapter. I currently have my connected and interestingly when the the ipod is connected to the aux source the antenna goes up when the head unit is selected for radio or CD-5 it goes down. Oh yea, to select the AUX it selects CD-6. I asked the Smartenna adapter maker and the email response was that the Ipod adapter came after the Smartenna. No suggestions, period!

Isn't there a button on the OEM head unit that puts the ipod into shuffle mode? I use it all the time on my car. I think it is the "select" button. Its a small button on the right with a tiny orange light.

I didn't realize that this would shuffle the iPod. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Excellent post... Ordered the Pa11 and tested out the functionality in the trunk... then after making sure everything works correctly removed the radio and put the adaptor behind the ash tray with a little self-adhesive foam to eliminate any rattling.

I got a pretty cool mount, thought I would share the set up. If anyone wants these parts I know the vendor. Its really good if you plan on using an Iphone GPS app, or choosing your music from the iphone itself. My 6'4" friend did not have an issue with its placement, glove box opens, and all buttons and knobs are easily accessible.. and no new holes or lose wires. The mount even swivels to landscape and the power cord is attached to the cradle so you just have to slide the phone into the cradle not disconnect the wire. Oh, and the felt looks better than plastic IMHO!

Jman

Attachments

• iphone mounted.jpg
    iphone mounted.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Very nice! Thanks for posting the picture!

iPod Adapter Tip of the Day: Did you know you can connect your iPad through the USA Spec PA11-HON and listen to music, or watch stored as well as streaming video (for those with an aftermarket head unit) from your iPad? I think it will charge the iPad as well.

I was hoping the ipad would allow a bluetooth tether with the iphone.. but no such luck. If so, you could tether your iphone (without jailbraking it) if you are running an older software version (3.0).

There may be a way to enable tethering on the newer software versions, but I havent tried it because apple is trying everything possible to disable the function in the US market.

Jman

PS. if you liked the mounting solution please PM me about it with the heading (iphone mount), when we get 15 interested people I will get a group discount.

I got a pretty cool mount, thought I would share the set up. If anyone wants these parts I know the vendor.
Jman

captainjman, that IS a really cool mount! where is that mount attached to? would you mind posting detailed, close-up pictures of the mount and providing information on the mount (i.e., vendor, price, etc)?

I was hoping the ipad would allow a bluetooth tether with the iphone...

My iPad showed up courtesy of FedEx this past weekend. Since the iPad or later generations of the iPod Touch have bluetooth, I have been pondering the idea of using a bluetooth module connected to a USA-Spec DF-HON (or to the second input of the USA Spec PA11-HON) and listening to it that way. No mounts or cables to run, just bury both the adapter and the bluetooth module behind your ash tray. Then you just get in your car; link the iPod/iPad via bluetooth module (it should be able to autolink when in close range of the bluetooth module), and stream audio from the iPod in your shirt pocket or the iPad on your passenger seat.

I think this may be the ultimate installation of the future - your interior stays perfectly stock and your iPod/iPad/other bluetooth-capable device links via the bluetooth module. This topic came up awhile back; I need to explore it more.

My iPad showed up courtesy of FedEx this past weekend. Since the iPad or later generations of the iPod Touch have bluetooth, I have been pondering the idea of using a bluetooth module connected to a USA-Spec DF-HON (or to the second input of the USA Spec PA11-HON) and listening to it that way. No mounts or cables to run, just bury both the adapter and the bluetooth module behind your ash tray. Then you just get in your car; link the iPod/iPad via bluetooth module (it should be able to autolink when in close range of the bluetooth module), and stream audio from the iPod in your shirt pocket or the iPad on your passenger seat.

I think this may be the ultimate installation of the future - your interior stays perfectly stock and your iPod/iPad/other bluetooth-capable device links via the bluetooth module. This topic came up awhile back; I need to explore it more.
Let me know what bluetooth adapter you choose to try this. I would be interested in this setup as well. Not sure how bluetooth limits audio bandwidth. I have listened to a BlackBerry via Bluetooth on a Ford Sync system. quality was not perfect.

Snake11eyes: The mount is attached to the radio, no holes made at all. At the moment I simply have the PA11 wire sticking out from the side of the radio as well. I will take a few pictures soon and post them up here.

CL65: I have quite a few people that are interested in the mount, A few more and I will make a group order.

Jett: I looked into a bluetooth setup and ran into a few problems.
1. You need a power chord anyway
2. I wanted it mounted so I could use the GPS of the iphone
3. The bluetooth connection is not high fidelity.

I tried this out first with a backbeat headset that sends bluetooth music wirelessly. Even in close proximity and with nothing in between my iphone and headphone I still experienced some degredation of quality. I tried the setup with other eqquipment and found that with bluetooth any jogging or bouncing causes a "skip" effect. While not all bluetooth connections may be this fickle I have found that its use as a musical connection is somewhat limited.

What I was refering to was a bluetooth tether from my iphone to laptop as an internet connection. I use my iphone as a 3g modem. It works pretty well, its actually better than DSL but not as fast as comcast cable modems. I used speedtest.net and got a reading of around 2.5mp/s download but only about 700kb/s upload max.

If the ipad didnt have restrictions on its bluetooth tethering it would be worth it for us iphone users. I find it annoying that I would need to pay for another 3g connection on the device. Thats why I havent updated my phones software because I would have to find a way to re-enable my tethering.. something ATT is despirately trying to make impossible. From ATT's perspective the Ipad is free money. You would have surfed the internet from your iphone but now you are doing it from your Ipad... so they sell you their 3g network access twice and you only get to use it once.

In closing... the ipad itself is cool, but the ipad deal sucks. I think my 120 dollar a month for UNLIMITED internet should be just that... Unlimited. The Ipad isn't exactly selling all that fast either. Unlike the Iphones upon release there are plenty in the stores. I think people like what they see but dont wish to pay twice for the same service.

I completely understand your viewpoint. As a dedicated Verizon customer, I don't have an iPhone, although I do have an iPod Touch. I don't have an expensive data plan, so $30/month for an unlimited 3G data plan would be no big deal either. Still, I tend to use my devices wherever I am at rather than on the go, and all of those have wireless, so the WiFi iPad works for me as a laptop replacement. I do think the iPad is going to put a major dent in the laptop market.

One thing I am very pleased with is the ability of the iPad to stream Internet video, downloaded movies, or Netflix on my boat and play them on the boat TVs. I was doing that before with a laptop and it was a hassle, although the iPod touch will do that as well. The iPad is perceived as an "in-between" device, but I think both it's present and future capabilities are woefully underappreciated.

The Netflix app really rocks!

Last edited:
Nice avatar,captainjman. Do you fly the Piaggio Avanti?

Abe Froman - the "sausage king of chicago?"

Yeah, I fly the P180... fast for a turboprop .7 mach at FL410 !

You fly?

Jman

PS.. are you from chicago area?

Jman,

Yeah, CRJs out of DEN. Next time I'm in ORD I'll look you up. I've always wanted to do a "Ferris" tour and visit all the sights from the film. BTW, had the same screeching noise you had in another forum, but mine turned out to be my rear brakes. I'll check my air filter next:biggrin:

Jman,

Yeah, CRJs out of DEN. Next time I'm in ORD I'll look you up. I've always wanted to do a "Ferris" tour and visit all the sights from the film. BTW, had the same screeching noise you had in another forum, but mine turned out to be my rear brakes. I'll check my air filter next:biggrin:

Former king air 350 driver here, now I stick to an F33A bonanza (and fly for fun!)

Good to see other aviators on the forum!

I flew CRJ 700's and 200's (and 900's out of CLT and PHX) out of Denver a few years back. MESA SUCKS!!! LoL. I am a member of "LAMA - Life After Mesa Airlines", heck its even the name of my boat!

If you end up in chicago Id be happy to show you around. I actually went to high school at the school in the movie... In fact, there are a few movies John Hughes filmed that my high school was in... Bfast club, Ferris to name a few.

BTW: that winding road they drove off after picking up Sloan in the ferrari is a LOT of fun in the NSX.. not that I have ever driven the car faster than the speed limit of 15mph

CHAD - I started a thread on prime for owners in aviation.. there are a LOT of us here.

Jman

Jman,

Hey,

I got so many responses from all sorts of people both from Prime and outsiders... I decided to become an authorized distributor for the gear.

If you are interested in the install PM me and I will get you set up. You will need a PA11-hon already if you want to get the most out of it.

Total cost will be approx 55-60 dolalrs... the nice thing about this set up is that you dont have to plug/unplug your phone all the time you just slide it into the holder and you're done.

Has kind of a felt lining that adds richness to the look... not that cheap plastic look.

Photos coming soon, sorry, have been super busy

Jman

Awesome! You mess with the bull, you get the horns!

Ferris: "I love the car. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Last edited:
It is his love, it is his passion..... its his fault he didnt lock the garage!

Awesome! You mess with the bull, you get the horns!

Ferris: "I love the car. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Snake11eyes: The mount is attached to the radio, no holes made at all. At the moment I simply have the PA11 wire sticking out from the side of the radio as well. I will take a few pictures soon and post them up here.

CL65: I have quite a few people that are interested in the mount, A few more and I will make a group order.

Jett: I looked into a bluetooth setup and ran into a few problems.
1. You need a power chord anyway
2. I wanted it mounted so I could use the GPS of the iphone
3. The bluetooth connection is not high fidelity.

I tried this out first with a backbeat headset that sends bluetooth music wirelessly. Even in close proximity and with nothing in between my iphone and headphone I still experienced some degredation of quality. I tried the setup with other eqquipment and found that with bluetooth any jogging or bouncing causes a "skip" effect. While not all bluetooth connections may be this fickle I have found that its use as a musical connection is somewhat limited.

What I was refering to was a bluetooth tether from my iphone to laptop as an internet connection. I use my iphone as a 3g modem. It works pretty well, its actually better than DSL but not as fast as comcast cable modems. I used speedtest.net and got a reading of around 2.5mp/s download but only about 700kb/s upload max.

If the ipad didnt have restrictions on its bluetooth tethering it would be worth it for us iphone users. I find it annoying that I would need to pay for another 3g connection on the device. Thats why I havent updated my phones software because I would have to find a way to re-enable my tethering.. something ATT is despirately trying to make impossible. From ATT's perspective the Ipad is free money. You would have surfed the internet from your iphone but now you are doing it from your Ipad... so they sell you their 3g network access twice and you only get to use it once.

In closing... the ipad itself is cool, but the ipad deal sucks. I think my 120 dollar a month for UNLIMITED internet should be just that... Unlimited. The Ipad isn't exactly selling all that fast either. Unlike the Iphones upon release there are plenty in the stores. I think people like what they see but dont wish to pay twice for the same service.

You can always jailbreak your phone and then use MyWi, you can tether the Ipad or your cell through wifi connection.

How To Turn Your iPhone Into a Wireless Hotspot and Enable Tethering using MyWi Share

Click here to learn how to turn your iPhone into a wireless hotspot and enable tethering using MyWi. Requires jailbreaking your iPhone.

Re: How To Turn Your iPhone Into a Wireless Hotspot and Enable Tethering using MyWi S

I was able to get a decent Bluetooth connection to a radio, but the question still is why...

You still need to charge the thing, and you still need a good place to put it. Thats why I decided to go with my rig.

Click here to learn how to turn your iPhone into a wireless hotspot and enable tethering using MyWi. Requires jailbreaking your iPhone.

Back