• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Choosing an iPod Adapter for your oem NSX Stereo - the condensed version.

I was able to get a decent Bluetooth connection to a radio, but the question still is why...You still need to charge the thing, and you still need a good place to put it. Thats why I decided to go with my rig.

Don't get me wrong, I think your setup and mount is great and I am not critical of it in any way. I get a lot of questions regarding installing the iPod/iPad/iPhone in an NSX, which keeps me pondering the possibilities.

As for why, a bluetooth module hidden in the interior that "automagically" links to the iPod/iPad/iPhone and plays through a USA-Spec PA11-HON seems pretty compelling. As for charging, charge using a standard car charger plugged into the cigarette lighter, or hardwire a charger into the car and hide the cable between the seats. "Mount" the iPod/iPhone in your pocket or lay the iPad on the passenger seat, either out or still in its own case.

That is the concept anyway, I just need to identify the best bluetooth adapter to actually try this.

Last edited:
No offense taken...

I have found that the Iphne battery is less than adequate for long term bluetooth use. Individual batteries vary in charge capabilities.. but the fact remails that if you want to preserve battery life bluetooth can be used as long as you are plugged in. If you are going to have a chord connected to the device anyway, whats the point in using bluetooth, its already connected...

As for automatically connecting... you still need to press on the IPOD icon, select a playlist and press play.. its not like you will hop in the car and it will start playing music.

And then there is the GPS issue. Since the Iphone / Ipod touch can be used with navigation software if you mount it in sight you can use the turn by turn directions or map mode. It definately brings the NSX into the 21st century!

Just my opinion... just want to help... :)

Jman

Don't get me wrong, I think your setup and mount is great and I am not critical of it in any way. I get a lot of questions regarding installing the iPod/iPad/iPhone in an NSX, which keeps me pondering the possibilities.

As for why, a bluetooth module hidden in the interior that "automagically" links to the iPod/iPad/iPhone and plays through a USA-Spec PA11-HON seems pretty compelling. As for charging, charge using a standard car charger plugged into the cigarette lighter, or hardwire a charger into the car and hide the cable between the seats. "Mount" the iPod/iPhone in your pocket or lay the iPad on the passenger seat, either out or still in its own case.

That is the concept anyway, I just need to identify the best bluetooth adapter to actually try this.

I accidently purchased the ipod adapter that has the 15 pin connector for the honda stereo, not the required male/male din connector. Could I still use this adapter but replace the cable with a male/make din cable or do I need to just buy the right ipod adapter?

Look at the end of the cable where it plugs into your CD changer, assuming you have one. You need a cable that has that connector on both ends - the correct description would be a "male 8-pin to male 8-pin DIN cable". You could use the cable that runs from behind the driver's head to the CD changer if you could get it out. Or you could get one on eBay.

Last edited:
what about hooking a Tom Tom GPS cradle to it? Would that be possible?

My iPad showed up courtesy of FedEx this past weekend. Since the iPad or later generations of the iPod Touch have bluetooth, I have been pondering the idea of using a bluetooth module connected to a USA-Spec DF-HON (or to the second input of the USA Spec PA11-HON) and listening to it that way. No mounts or cables to run, just bury both the adapter and the bluetooth module behind your ash tray. Then you just get in your car; link the iPod/iPad via bluetooth module (it should be able to autolink when in close range of the bluetooth module), and stream audio from the iPod in your shirt pocket or the iPad on your passenger seat.

I think this may be the ultimate installation of the future - your interior stays perfectly stock and your iPod/iPad/other bluetooth-capable device links via the bluetooth module. This topic came up awhile back; I need to explore it more.

Grom just up'd the anti with bluetooth on their USB/Ipod adapter. so you can use your audio system (factory) to link to your phone hands free via bluetooth for both phone and music. Unfortunatly it is either ipod/iphone direct connect or bluetooth, not both.
http://www.gromaudio.com/usb.html

http://gromaudio.com/store/grom_accessories/cable-btd.html

This would allow a trunk installation for use with a smartenna...

when using bluetooth, charging is still a possible issue for those long trips.

Last edited:
hi Jett --

Great review. I too, after trying four different adaptor models, prefer the USA Spec adaptor. We sell the latest version, which has newer firmware and a cable design that is compatible with both the older and newer iPods and all versions of the iPhone:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/S2000/USASpec/

We have these in stock. An instruction sheet with photos is included. Anyone can easily install this within a half hour.

Cheers,
-- Chris
I know this is an old thread..but can someone post pics? Also if installed in the CD Changer in the trunk?

I know this is an old thread..but can someone post pics? Also if installed in the CD Changer in the trunk?

I mounted mine on a piece of plastic and then installed the plastic where my CD changer used to be.
GromAdapter2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! For those who don't have an iPod/iPad hookup in the NSX yet, note that slamstrom (above) has removed his CD changer and replaced it with the Grom iPod adapter and an iPod Mini. This is an easy installation (the cable is already there in the trunk) that can be completely controlled from the oem NSX stereo. The adapter charges the iPod, so you never have to dismount the iPod unless you want to add music. The iPod dismounts easily as it is held on by a velcro strap. You can leave the iPod in the trunk for weeks or months without ever touching it, or even opening the trunk.

Don't sell the iPod mini short - that iPod mini will still hold 1000 songs or more, instead of the old-tech CD changer's capacity of about sixty songs. And all 1000 of those songs can be just the songs you like the best, unlike CDs with just two or three good songs and the rest of the songs are "filler".

I just installed my SOS iPOD adapter thing where they tell you to (behind the bulkhead panel behind the driver seat) where there is already a convenient place to tie in to the OEM cable. I then ran the supplied iPOD cable through the console to the ash tray (through the lighter socket which I removed) where I have my iPOD nano (the new little square one is probably the only one that fits). That way, everything is concealed, but if I need to select a specific song .. or remove the iPOD, I can just flip open the ash tray cover and it's easily accessible. But usually I just leave it on a playlist or random and never have to touch anything.

Last edited:
Where is the place we tie into behind the drivers seat, all i can see is the tcs module....should i be looking high or low

Thanks gang!

Aaron

Meh. Don't understand the USA-SPEC & GROM acclaim, from reading the 2 iPod adapter threads, they seem to be way too troublesome for some. This install took me all of about 30 minutes to install to the back of the Bose HU, works beautifully with an iPod Touch and I retained use of the OEM CD changer in case I ever DO want to use it. I have this exact setup in 2 different Acuras and a Infiniti and have never had problem one:
BLITZSAFE_HON_MLINK1_1D.jpg

BlitzSafe HON/M-Link V1.D

PanaVise vehicle specific mount with ProClip iPod Touch bracket & pass-thru adapter:
28.jpg

Guess my difference is that I don't care anything about controlling the iPod through the OEM Bose, that's why I do this with a iPod Touch and it works fine for my purposes. Just my .02---

Last edited:
Any mounts that can rotate from verticle to horizontal

Yeah, that particular ProClip mount will rotate to a horizontal position and then you can tighten the set screw. Go here, they've got mounts for just about every type of device known to mankind.

Thanks Steve

Installed mine today behind the drivers seat bulk head. I found this pic in on the internet on a UK post.

Attachments

• FactoryPreinstalledCable.jpg
    FactoryPreinstalledCable.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 410
Just a quick update for those wanting a side-by-side comparison between the front runners in this category....I bought the USA Spec adapter a few months ago with the intention of hooking up a bluetooth transmitter and getting a fully wireless solution. That didn't quite work out as I was expecting, so I just picked up the GROM unit with the bluetooth add-on. Based on some limited experience with each unit, I would probably recommend the GROM unit simply for flexibility.

USA Spec:
I can't comment too much on the playlist functionality since I tend to use my ipod in hybrid mode so I can listen to streaming radio (pandora, soundcloud, etc.). One of the things that I didn't care for on the unit was how plugging in my iphone would always launch into a playlist mode and put the phone into accessory mode. This became even more annoying since it would start playing random music from my itunes library that I didn't care to be listening to. Otherwise, sound quality was great, and I have no complaints about the unit.

More recently, I moved this unit into my daily driver, a 2001 Acura TL.

GROM Audio w/ bluetooth:
I bought the ipod kit with the bluetooth hands-free add-on. First, a comparison between the units. The ipod functionality on the USA Spec seems to be a bit better. Again, I don't use the playlist features, and run this unit in hybrid mode, but I've found the integration to the HU to to be less intuitive. I'd have to test again, but it seems like all the HU buttons don't map perfectly. The sound quality appeared to be on par, and I was happy with that aspect of the unit.

The bluetooth capability of this unit was definitely the selling point and so far it hasn't disappointed. One issue I still have (that I have with hybrid mode as well) is that playback doesn't automatically start or stop when entering/leaving the car. This means that I can't leave the phone in my pocket completely, which was my real desire. But having hands-free in the car is definitely nice, and as I use my iphone for navigation, having the music mute for prompts is also nice. I haven't wired in the mic yet so I can't comment on the hands-free quality yet, but I can definitely comment on the support for GROM. In my initial testing with the unit, I've had some issues with a constant ticking noise coming from the speakers when connected over bluetooth; GROM's been extremely responsive in trying to sort this issue out and they are working on a new hardware revision to have it fixed. Note, since it's still sitting in my trunk, I just disconnected the ipod cable from the unit and that removes the ticking in the interim.

Conclusion:
Both units are actually pretty good, but neither are a perfect solution. The price of the GROM unit with the bluetooth add-on is just slightly over that of the USA Spec unit, which makes it worth purchasing over the USA Spec, in my opinion.

If anyone has any specific questions about either unit, feel free to ask.:cool:

Back