• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Choosing an iPod Adapter for your oem NSX Stereo - the condensed version.

I have tried to reach a conclusion based on this incredible thread. But I hope you guys can help me.

I want:

1. to replace the OEM CD changer in my NSX, which is unreliable
2. to operate an iPod via the OEM headunit
3. I don't have an iPod, but plan to buy a "classic" and mount it in the trunk. It will stay there all the time so it needs to charge.
4. I don't need bluetooth
5. I don't understand the issues with playlist support via the various devices

Recommendations? (please)

Given the 5 conditions you set below, get the USA-SPEC is the way to go - can't beat a 5 minute installation.

I have tried to reach a conclusion based on this incredible thread. But I hope you guys can help me.

I want:

1. to replace the OEM CD changer in my NSX, which is unreliable
2. to operate an iPod via the OEM headunit
3. I don't have an iPod, but plan to buy a "classic" and mount it in the trunk. It will stay there all the time so it needs to charge.
4. I don't need bluetooth
5. I don't understand the issues with playlist support via the various devices

Recommendations? (please)

Hopefuly someone will find this interesting...

I purchased a bluetooth device that connects to the ipod dock connector from my USA spec adapter. This changes my iphone listening experience greatly! it is powered via the connector and connects automatically after inital pairing. I start the NSX and it starts playing where it left off. I do not even have to pull the phone out of my pocket. and the head unit controls still work! If anyone is interested, I bought it from a korean vendor on ebay.

My dash mount looks a lot cleaner too without the wires (I know it is not being charged...)

Hopefuly someone will find this interesting...

I purchased a bluetooth device that connects to the ipod dock connector from my USA spec adapter. This changes my iphone listening experience greatly! it is powered via the connector and connects automatically after inital pairing. I start the NSX and it starts playing where it left off. I do not even have to pull the phone out of my pocket. and the head unit controls still work! If anyone is interested, I bought it from a korean vendor on ebay.

My dash mount looks a lot cleaner too without the wires (I know it is not being charged...)

I'd definitely be interested in this solution. Do you have a link? Thanks in advance!

Have any of you guys used the Smartenna in conjunction with the Ipod adapter. I currently have my connected and interestingly when the the ipod is connected to the aux source the antenna goes up when the head unit is selected for radio or CD-5 it goes down. Oh yea, to select the AUX it selects CD-6. I asked the Smartenna adapter maker and the email response was that the Ipod adapter came after the Smartenna. No suggestions, period!

Thread is ancient, but its a good one to make eternal. I missed this last year, so Ill answer now...

Mine is working fine. Radio on, antenna up. "CD on", antenna down. Doesn't matter which "CD" it is on. USA SPEC PA11-HON.

Sandman, do you have a pic or model number of the device that you used?

Just an FYI - I installed the USA-Spec adapter this weekend. Mounted it on the backwall beside the ECM. I was going to mount it and my iPod in the trunk where the CD changer lived, but I decided I would want access to the iPod since the head unit controls of music are limited.

I bought a new Nano, and ran the cable through the center console exiting by the handbrake lever. The Nano sits right next to the cigarette lighter. Because you can pinch and rotate the Nano display the menus are "normal" even with the dock connector facing right.

People who have theirs installed, can we please see some installation pics of your setup now?

Pic of the Nano....

IMG_20111028_075738-1.jpg

Pic of NSX interior BEFORE and AFTER installing the USA-Spec PA11-HON.

My point here is that you can easily install the PA11-HON with no cutting, drilling, hanging cables, etc. such that it is invisible inside the car, but you will still be able to control it perfectly via your oem NSX stereo.

Attachments

• 2001.jpg
    2001.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 2001_acura_nsx_interior_100003290_m.jpg
    2001_acura_nsx_interior_100003290_m.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Best part about the system. I have an iphone/ipod holder for when I use my GPS on it.

...and the audible GPS directions are broadcast through your stereo speakers, are they not? So when you are cranking Motley Crue's "Girl, Don't Go Away Mad... (Just Go Away)" the iPhone smoothly pauses the music, announces the turn coming up, then resumes playing? Am I right or wrong?

Last edited:
I had the USA Spec one attached to an extra Iphone and it worked until I stripped out the stereo along with it.

Is there a significant different between USA Spec versus GROM, which one would work better with OEM head? Thanks.

Does USA-Spec make a bluetooth adapter for the PA11-HON? One can't tell from their website as it's in shambles.

So far, not so good! I started the process today, as I picked up a used PA11-HON for my 1991 NSX. I planned a quick install in the trunk, just to test the setup.

First I removed the changer. However, I don't think it is stock. It is a silver unit with the "Alpine" logo all over it. When I removed the unit, the cable is not an 8 pin din. It is some funky round cable that I have never seen before.

So I said screw it and moved inside the cabin; I pulled the back panel, and haven't found the DIN yet. I did find the hookup for the mini-antenna that is behind the driver's head, since the external antenna was removed and filled in.

More to come.

Back