• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

click,no start,then start

went to start the car,turned the key,and it just clicked.turned it to the start position again,then it started normally.

37k miles on well-maintained garage queen
new main relay about 6 months ago
new optimum yellow-top about 3 years ago
charging gauge reads at 15,1 no. from top
was 60 degrees out
car was driven a couple days before
in the on positon,all dash lights lit up

maybe i just didn't turn it hard or far enough toward the starting position.

any thoughts?thanks all and hope you're having a good holiday

Possibly ignition switch. Most take them apart and clean them. I've yet to do mine but should do it soon just in case.

This has been happening on my car since i put the new clutch in. The click is from the starter trying to engage the flywheel but cant. I dont believe mine in an adjustment issue because when it does crank it dosent sound bogged or anything. If it clicks I just keep turning the key until it starts. I would get the problem fixed soon but dont sweat about getting stuck somewhere.

Possibly ignition switch. Most take them apart and clean them. I've yet to do mine but should do it soon just in case.

my guess as well

This has been happening on my car since i put the new clutch in. The click is from the starter trying to engage the flywheel but cant. I dont believe mine in an adjustment issue because when it does crank it dosent sound bogged or anything. If it clicks I just keep turning the key until it starts. I would get the problem fixed soon but dont sweat about getting stuck somewhere.
i got a new oem clutch a little over 2 years and 6k miles ago,put in by steve gooding,who is a real fine nsx mechanic,so it seems unlikely it is clutch related

what type of click is it? Because I am thinking of the starter click not a relay click. Does it sound like it is coming from the tranny area?

Normally click-no start is a bad battery connection.

thanks.if you clean the terminals and then reattach,does it usually start?or what's the usual fix for this?

Last edited:
if its your battery then tighten up the bolt. should be good.

if it still does it then its your ign switch. and it doesnt hurn the wallet.

if it only does it sometimes your ign switch is going bad.

it starts by doing that once then more and more frequent

intill BANG your car will not start at all.

Have you ever try jump start it from the starter when it would not start? If jump start from the starter work, it is not the starter.

There is a starting relay under the passenager side dash, sometime this relay get bad contact and cause problem. Also if you have alarm system, it has another starting relay.

I went through changing main relay, rebuilt starter, to brand new starter, and finally found it is the starting relay under the passenager side dash. Good luck!!

thanks.if you clean the terminals and then reattach,does it usually start?or what's the usual fix for this?
If/when you clean the terminals, do check the ground cable to the body. Mine was quite corroded when I first got my car. Was'nt having issues, was just doing a random check of everything.

The ground wire on my were really loose, even at the tightess setting. Twist and turn easy. Sometime it wouldnt start, click a couple time. Lights inside still lit up fine. End up replacing the ground cable with one from walmart. No more problem. Nice a tight.

All these problem can be fix IF it is the cable itself is bad. Fast, free, check it.

Check your battery connections.Try taking the connections off clean it and reconnect it and try to start it and see if it's better.If that doesn't work then it most likely gonna be your starter.GL!

thanks,everyone.this is what's great about this site,really helpful sharing of information and experience.

the negative terminal wasn't as tight as it could be,so i pulled it off,cleaned the post and the inside of the clamp with a wire brush terminal cleaner,then put it back on pretty tight.the positive was on real tight,in fact couldn't get it off,so just left it alone.i'm a crappy mechanic,so i try to at least not break stuff and make it worse.

there wasn't any corrosion on the terminals or the cables,they looked pretty good.

started right up after that,so i'll see what happens.

Hey Robbie,

Concerning your positive connection - last summer I put a new battery in my NSX. (Incidently - purchased at Costco - IDENTICAL to the Acura battery I removed and half the price - made by Johnson Controls who also makes Acura batteries). When installing I discovered the positive terminal clamp would not tighten completely. So I made an insert(shim) fashioned from a 1/2" section of 1/2" diameter copper pipe. Sliced out a portion of the pipe (effectively creating a "C" clamp so that it would fit around the battery terminal - then opened the positive battery terminal clamp wide enough to fit around the now larger diameter positive terminal. Tightened it down and - walla -perfect connection ever since.

As far as your original problem, I too agree with others that have suggested a dirty or loose battery connection. Long ago I learned from a wise old mechanic who suggested you start with the simple solutions first and then work you way into the more complicated (expensive) problems. 7 out of 10 times the simple solutions fix the problem. Unlike most dealer service departments who work in the opposite direction.

Happy Thanksgiving

John

just an update. i got the positive terminal cleaned up, there was some corrosion on it,cables look fine.the terminals fit back on tightly,i covered them with some battery terminal protective grease,and the car has been starting fine for the last month.keeping my fingers crossed,but it appears the problem was just the small amount of corrosion,as some of you suggested.

i'm now going to clean my terminals once a year or so,and keep them covered with the protective grease.i think nsx batteries get a good workout with the electrical draw,the long cable from the battery running to the starter,and for cars like mine,not being driven every day (although i drive it at least 2-3 times a week,for 10 to 20 miles,which should be enough to keep a battery going.)

thanks for the help.

Back