• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch recommendation for DD

Was wondering what you guys recommend in 2018, should I go OEM + light FW, I don't track the car much, I don't like a heavy peddle because of the commuting/traffic I have. What would you guys go with? Thanks

Go OEM or OEM-spec. I think SOS sells an OEM-spec clutch and flywheel.

Don’t bother with a lighter flywheel, or super high torque rated clutch unless you’re adding loads of power. They just reduce drivability unless you’re on a race track (which no one ever is).

Anyone who dailies a race-spec clutch who says it’s no big deal is lying.

Lucas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just do stock. You won't be sorry.

Another vote for OEM if you have a 91-96. The factory dual disc clutch is fantastic. For a 97+ I would go with the SOS 275.

I'm really considering getting SOS clutch since I've been hearing good things with it on stock motor. But would you guys recommend sos 275 or 350? On stock motor and trans. Any pros or cons? Read some failures with the 350 but i think they were FI.

For NA, I’d use the 275 rather than the 350. I have the latter and like it with my CTSC, but I see no reason to use it for NA. It must have a stiffer pedal, edgier engagement, or both.

Brad, do you have a 6-speed in there?

No, I have been watching for a 6-Speed for a while. They seem to be getting rare and expensive. I completely rebuilt my 5-Speed with all new bearings, syncros and a full set of Short Gears a few years ago. It is pretty sweet.
Brad

Aside from the OEM twin disc clutch kit comprising flywheel, clutch discs, pressure plate and needle bearing, what else is usually replaced when servicing? Throw out bearing? TOB guide?

Aside from the OEM twin disc clutch kit comprising flywheel, clutch discs, pressure plate and needle bearing, what else is usually replaced when servicing? Throw out bearing? TOB guide?

Throw out bearing for sure. The guide only if there are signs of damage. On my last NSX, the guide was slightly bent and caused a pulsation in the clutch pedal. After replacing the guide, the pulsation went away. Make sure to use the Honda urea grease per the service manual in all of the correct spots.

Throw out bearing for sure. The guide only if there are signs of damage. On my last NSX, the guide was slightly bent and caused a pulsation in the clutch pedal. After replacing the guide, the pulsation went away. Make sure to use the Honda urea grease per the service manual in all of the correct spots.

Thanks. Whilst on that subject (hope I'm not hijacking...), is there any advantage to replacing the clutch with the drivetrain lowered? My clutch is still fine with no slipping but I do have a bit of shudder in the pedal and no records showing when it was last replaced; since a tb/wp job is in the cards for 2019, I could be tempted to bite the expensive bullet and have everything done at once, if at all advantageous.

No, I have been watching for a 6-Speed for a while. They seem to be getting rare and expensive. I completely rebuilt my 5-Speed with all new bearings, syncros and a full set of Short Gears a few years ago. It is pretty sweet.
Brad

Prices for used ones are unreasonable. Better to order a new one from Honda. It's not that much more than what people are asking for used and you get a factory new gearbox. Wait time is 12 months though...

Back