• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch replacement advice please...

Hi Everyone,

I am about ready to get my clutch replaced soon. I was pretty sure I was going to chose an aftermarket clutch (brand left out on purpose), but after talking to some of the recommended shops here in the Bay Area, some have mentioned that some owners put on these aftermarket clutches and revert back to OEM a few months later. :confused:

With that said, I would like to hear about some experiences you guys/gals have experienced, and what replacement clutch you would recommend. Also, I am getting mixed opinions on this, but during a clutch replacement, should the flywheel be replaced? Or can the flywheel be re-machined?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! :biggrin:

Hi Everyone,

I am about ready to get my clutch replaced soon. I was pretty sure I was going to chose an aftermarket clutch (brand left out on purpose), but after talking to some of the recommended shops here in the Bay Area, some have mentioned that some owners put on these aftermarket clutches and revert back to OEM a few months later. :confused:

With that said, I would like to hear about some experiences you guys/gals have experienced, and what replacement clutch you would recommend. Also, I am getting mixed opinions on this, but during a clutch replacement, should the flywheel be replaced? Or can the flywheel be re-machined?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! :biggrin:
The OEM clutch is pretty smooth. It's a twin disc so it's strong. The after market brands are known to be noisy, like a clunking noise. Probably very heavy too. When I had mine done I just went with the OEM. Worked fine for street and track.

Give Shad a call at Driving Ambition. He can help you chose the right clutch for your needs.

Unless you're looking for super lightweight and/or 500RWHP+, I think RPS makes a clutch that is very well balanced. I have it in my car right now and like it a lot. Just make sure your battery is upto snuff (unlike mine..) because you'll likely stall quite a bit :)

Just had shad install the new SOS sport clutch on mine. It converts from. Dual to a single. Feels just like stock except more "grippy" for lack of a better term. I highly recommend going with that clutch over oem regardless of who installs it.

I put a new OEM clutch in my car at 50K miles (I was the second owner and the first owner obviously didn't know how to properly drive a clutch). The new clutch lasted until 150K. That's pretty good longevity, especially considering that I drive the car hard.

I replaced that clutch with another OEM unit when I put the CTSC on. I have absolutely no problems with it.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

I am still undecided between OEM or the SOS sport clutch. Any one install the SOS that didn't like it?

chopsjazz.... When you replaced your clutch with OEM, did you replace the flywheel as well?

Thanks

I had my OEM twin disc rebuilt for $155, it's got about 10k HARD miles on it now, including multiple track days, multiple autocrosses, lots of moutain runs, and it hasn't missed a beat.

I put in a Fidanza flywheel in when I did it as well, and a new throw out bearing, all together I think I spent about $600 on everything, less than half the price of an OEM clutch assembly.

Back